Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Charges

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

roundymac wrote: »
    Bad for Cork Airport, probably. But would cheaper airport charging at Dublin be bad for Cork?

I'm half mindful of the storm over the DAA tweet about the Ryder Cup.

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/1154388994408534016

Quite conceivably, Dublin Airport is what makes it feasible to locate a major tournament in Adare Manor.
    https://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2018/3/27/2028-ryder-cup-for-hazeltine-but-adare-must-wait-on-2026-decision

Government support, a world-class golf facility and quality infrastructure near a major international city are considered key requirements by the European Tour.
    Was the highlighted requirement satisfied by Limerick? We'd need to see the bid to know.

I'd like to see a strong Cork Airport. Presumbly, CAR need to balance the DAA charges to what the market should be willing to fund. But is there not a general national interest in how much investment DAA charges can fund?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Dublin Airport is busting at the seems this summer, they don’t need lower charges to drive capacity or passengers numbers, they need to concentrate on expanding facilities and increased efficiency to manage the oversubscribed terminal space they currently have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Locker10a wrote: »
    Dublin Airport is busting at the seems this summer, they don’t need lower charges to drive capacity or passengers numbers, they need to concentrate on expanding facilities and increased efficiency to manage the oversubscribed terminal space they currently have.
    And, to be clear, Dublin Airport are not seeking a reduction in charges. Their regulator proposes this.
    https://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileupload/2019/Draft%20Determination/press%20release%20.pdf

Today (Thursday, 09 May 2019) the Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR) publishes its Draft Determination on the maximum level of Airport Charges at Dublin Airport. CAR proposes a maximum price of €7.50 per passenger in each of the years from 2020 to 2024. .....

Dublin Airport has proposed a higher price in the range of €9.05 to €9.94. There are two key drivers of the differences between our price proposals. CAR has set a lower cost of capital (our estimate of how much it will cost the airport to raise finance); and while CAR agrees with Dublin Airport that operating costs will grow in the period, CAR forecasts a more constrained level of growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Dublin don't need the higher charges because they charge shop owners a fortune to have shops there and they will make a further killing when the new runway opens, traffic increases and the income from landing fees will soar. Income from parking areas for cars is another fortune, taken from a captive audience. Dublin Airport is doing just fine, thanks and Cork Airport is not about to fold just because the rate per skull is to go down by a euro or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I doubt that people would decide to use Dublin just because their fare became €2 cheaper, Cork offers convenience for local people that Dublin can never compete with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

It's fairly apparent that the CAR haven't a bull's notion what they are doing.

The thing about the passenger load fee is that it was to designed to help the airports when they had very little revenue from their shops and car parking and less air traffic. These days, they are making huge money from shops, car parking, taxis, attached business parks and the fees they charge the airlines, such as the fee to use an air bridge, the fee for remote parking of aircraft, the fee for taking electricity from air bridges and so on. I dont have much sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Jack1985 wrote: »
    It's fairly apparent that the CAR haven't a bull's notion what they are doing.

And they’re in the process of taking over the regulatory responsibilities of the IAA.

And as for increased revenue from the new Dublin runway, it only provides potential additional capacity at peak times, when there’s currently a lack of sufficient gates to accommodate. Outside peak times when there is excess gates, there’s spare runway capacity on existing runways. So to get the real benefit of the new runway, they need to build more piers/gates/stands etc, which need to be paid for.

Airports generally make eff all money from airlines anymore since the LCC revolution. Fact is Ryanair are simply unwilling to pay for anything, can and will move capacity away in retaliation for increased charges. Parking and Shopping are the main source of revenue nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

HTCOne wrote: »
    And they’re in the process of taking over the regulatory responsibilities of the IAA.

Probably more accurately described as a merger rather than a takeover no?

faoiarvok wrote: »
    Probably more accurately described as a merger rather than a takeover no?

Probably, although I suppose it depends how the 2 companies (CAR/Regulator and the ANSP) are structured after the process is complete. Another discussion me thinks!

I heard there’s a €100 voucher if you can come up with the logo/name for the new ANSP, oh the fun one could have there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Stovepipe wrote: »
    The thing about the passenger load fee is that it was to designed to help the airports when they had very little revenue from their shops and car parking and less air traffic. These days, they are making huge money from shops, car parking, taxis, attached business parks and the fees they charge the airlines, such as the fee to use an air bridge, the fee for remote parking of aircraft, the fee for taking electricity from air bridges and so on. I dont have much sympathy for them.

Parking charges are a joke. Their definition of a ‘contact’ stand...when a passenger can walk about a quarter of a kilometer before making contact with the inside of a terminal and all weather makes contact with them in turn.

Prices are just passed on to the consumer, in most bars you are paying temple bar prices for pints. Gourmet restaurant prices for pub grub. The airport just isn’t good value for the consumer or indeed the airlines.

I always used to enjoy heading up there early, enjoying a relaxing meal and a few drinks, treat ourselves to a couple of things in the shops but hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

HTCOne wrote: »
    Probably, although I suppose it depends how the 2 companies (CAR/Regulator and the ANSP) are structured after the process is complete. Another discussion me thinks!

I heard there’s a €100 voucher if you can come up with the logo/name for the new ANSP, oh the fun one could have there!

Hahaha, graphic designer friend of mine nearly shot himself when he heard that.

Believe the regulator is supposed to take the IAA name though?

faoiarvok wrote: »

Believe the regulator is supposed to take the IAA name though?

Have heard that also yeah. Would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I still think what Cork REALLY needs is the Cork - Dublin flight with Stobart so we can easily link into Aer Lingus' connections network. Maybe build a small annex to T2 where all domestic flights go to, then all of the PSOs (and Cork) can link into the connections at the airport.

T2 is a parking disaster without adding small turboprops into the mix. The concept of peak time is gone because there is no slack period anymore; runway work has to be done between about 2 am and 6 am and even then, the other runway is in use. In fact, since transatlantic and Gulf traffic starts arriving at about 4.30 am, it's harder to state that there is really a slack time of any decent duration.

Advertisement