Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked was I drinking at work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Stanford wrote: »
    If what you say is absolutely true and if the Manager had no reasonable doubt to single you out then you should lodge a complaint via the Grievance Procedure for bullying.

You need to do some research on what constitutes bullying, incidents must be repeated, a one off is not bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Dav010 wrote: »
    You need to do some research on what constitutes bullying, incidents must be repeated, a one off is not bullying.

Agreed, thats why I suggested the OP make a complaint under Victimisation which only requires one unreasonable act

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

My niece recently reported a manager for bullying(very noticeably picking on her and making nasty personal comments) but since she reported him then she's been reprimanded for every tiny petty things she might do wrong by another senior person who is pals with this man. She's been pulled up on stuff everyone in her area does and no one passes any remarks. It's too long to explain everything here but it's completely unfair as she went 5yrs without once being in trouble. It strongly looks like they're trying to coerce her to resign. She has been to a solicitor who said she has a case if fired. Ps also a huge supermarket chain. This reminded me about something someone said to me once. Some years ago a friend of my husband who was an manager in a factory said if we ever had a grievance with a supervisor to try and sort it out there without going over their heads because he knew many occasions where this happened and the supervisor would make work so unbearable for the person who complained that they'd end up leaving. He said it was quite simple. Put them in an area he knew they hated or chance their hours or refuse requested days off etc etc. My niece said there have been others in her workplace who were afraid to complain about similar treatment and left. Many people will say complain but I'm not sure it's right to do that. Speak to the person directly and ask why they asked you. They didnt accuse you of drinking, they just asked if you had been. Id be auspicious someone else suggested it might be you. See how they respond before going any further.

Stanford wrote: »
    Agreed, thats why I suggested the OP make a complaint under Victimisation which only requires one unreasonable act

I think you are making this a bigger deal than it ought to be, the op was asked, not accused, not in front of others. The op is not being disciplined, the matter is dead. Someone obviously brought the bottle in and likely pointed the finger at the op when it was found, if I was the op I would be less angry about the question asked, and more about why she was asked. I would ask the manager why he thought it was her.

Why was the op the only person asked, is there not an implication in the question?

Also you say ""Someone obviously brought the bottle in and likely pointed the finger at the op when it was found"".....absolutely no evidence to support this statement.

""the matter is dead"".................clearly not for the op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 MayaMaya

I can imagine that he will try to make my working life hell if I file the complaint, but I'm going to do it anyway.

I have let many things slide with him, but this is too much.
    He gave absolutely no reason why he suspected me of drinking. My first answer wasn't good enough that he felt he had to ask me another two times was I sure.
    It was really humiliating.

I'm not going to bring it up with him personally because he'll just be dismissive and play it down. I want it to be on record. A lot of other employees have an issue with him too so maybe he'll cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,544 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If someone is drinking at work, this is absolutely not the way to be going about it by the manager... Workplace Relations Commission case waiting to happen.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If someone is drinking at work, this is absolutely not the way to be going about it by the manager... Workplace Relations Commission case waiting to happen.

Are you one of those annoying people who join a thread at the end and don't bother to read previous posts.....recourse to the WRC has already been mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

MayaMaya wrote: »
    I can imagine that he will try to make my working life hell if I file the complaint, but I'm going to do it anyway.

I have let many things slide with him, but this is too much.
    He gave absolutely no reason why he suspected me of drinking. My first answer wasn't good enough that he felt he had to ask me another two times was I sure.
    It was really humiliating.

I'm not going to bring it up with him personally because he'll just be dismissive and play it down. I want it to be on record. A lot of other employees have an issue with him too so maybe he'll cop on.

The company will move to protect him because he is in the company as in part of the system. They will be more interested in getting rid of you. Be sure you wont get black listed by other similar companies if you decide to strike. These type of companies are always collecting media information. Thread carefully

The company will move to protect him because he is in the company as in part of the system. They will be more interested in getting rid of you. Be sure you wont get black listed by other similar companies if you decide to strike. These type of companies are always collecting media information. Thread carefully

Op this is very possibly true. The man my niece complained about has also had loads of complaints but she actually accused him of bullying and the senior staff wagons have circled. This man is a dick but think carefully on it if you like your job. Don't let your upset be fueled by people on here who it really doesn't affect. Make a note of it and the date, time, witnesses etc of any past or future incidents in case you are determined to take it further at some stage.

• Advertisement

Ann22 wrote: »
    Op this is very possibly true. The man my niece complained about has also had loads of complaints but she actually accused him of bullying and the senior staff wagons have circled. This man is a dick but think carefully on it if you like your job. Don't let your upset be fueled by people on here who it really doesn't affect. Make a note of it and the date, time, witnesses etc of any past or future incidents in case you are determined to take it further at some stage.

"I have to protect my buddy because I dont know the day I will be in the same position by some upstart of an employee".

I would say get refreshing the CVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭facehugger99

He asked me 3 times was I sure that I hadn't been drinking.

I think after the second time you would have been quite within your rights to suggest that you take things to HR.

Your manger sounds like a right dickhead.

You're right, but I'm not going to mention the word "bullying". I just want to file a grievance for my manager's approach in relation to:
    *Where they approached me, on the shop floor, where there was the possibility of customers hearing.
    *Not giving any reason for suspecting me other than finding an empty bottle of alcohol. No mention of me acting unusually, seeming to be unfocused, unbalanced etc.

Your poor niece. It's a horrible situation to be in.

You're right, but I'm not going to mention the word "bullying". I just want to file a grievance for my manager's approach in relation to:
    *Where they approached me, on the shop floor, where there was the possibility of customers hearing.
    *Not giving any reason for suspecting me other than finding an empty bottle of alcohol. No mention of me acting unusually, seeming to be unfocused, unbalanced etc.

Your poor niece. It's a horrible situation to be in.

Did anyone else hear it?

odyssey06 wrote: »

The problem is that the machine moves to protect managment and sometimes to promote these dickwads. Its easier on so many fronts to dispose of this employee than admit this manager made a mistake. Just because you win at the WRC that doesnt mean they wont come for you in the long grass

I think after the second time you would have been quite within your rights to suggest that you take things to HR.

Your manger sounds like a right dickhead.

To be honest, I regret my lack of action at the time. I was so taken aback and embarrassed that I just kept saying that it wasn't me.
    It was only when I asked my colleagues had they been asked and then discussing it with a friend of mine, that I thought I should do something about it.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear it?

No, I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭Speak Now

He's a tool, in my opinion. Very erratic with his moods.

Have you history with him? I know you have 8 years perfect record and thread is about this one incident but reading between the lines of the above post its seems other stuff may have happened between you both?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Any chance you've a name for being a bit too fond of the gargle outside of work?

Do you come in stinking of night before some times?

A few pints at the weekend. Nothing crazy. Definitely don't come to work smelling of alcohol.

But even if I was a daily drinker and my manager suspected me of drinking, then surely the professional approach would be to ask to speak to me in private in an office and outlining the reasons why I was being asked was it me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I deleted a stupid post.. must read thread to the end next time..

As for OP, unless this job means a lot to you and pays big money I'd be registering a complaint and then handing in my notice.

One to put the manager's behavior on record and secondly because doing so will likely make your time at work unbearable. But at least you keep your dignity if you complain and leave in the same instance.

• Advertisement

Speak Now wrote: »
    Have you history with him? I know you have 8 years perfect record and thread is about this one incident but reading between the lines of the above post its seems other stuff may have happened between you both?

Nothing specific with me. He's the same with everyone; overly friendly with everyone one day and then really abrupt and snappy the next. He can speak very rudely to us all at times. He has very erratic moods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Nothing specific with me. He's the same with everyone; overly friendly with everyone one day and then really abrupt and snappy the next. He can speak very rudely to us all at times. He has very erratic moods.

Maybe it is he who is on the sauce.
    Hugely unprofessional of him. I hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It was inappropriate..report him

If he had asked your colleagues no problem. As he didn’t...BIG PROBLEM ! If you let this go you are inviting more problems to flow your way.

Go over his head, relate what you have related here in a calm, concise and professional non emotive manner via email initially. Detail dates and times when you spoke to whom.

Courtesy of your managers actions and inaction it can be understood that they in turn are insinuating that you may drink at work.

It can be also indicated that courtesy of the manner of his conversation and lack of investigation that it’s bullying, it IS.

If he had any general concern to attempt to find the drinking person he needed to carry out an impartial investigation. He didn’t. He simply approached you.

Keep it factual, non emotive, bullet points and to the point. A bully can swim in a river of tears but set the trap back at them and they just get caught.

Strumms wrote: »
    If he had asked your colleagues no problem. As he didn’t...BIG PROBLEM ! If you let this go you are inviting more problems to flow your way.

Go over his head, relate what you have related here in a calm, concise and professional non emotive manner via email initially. Detail dates and times when you spoke to whom.

Courtesy of your managers actions and inaction it can be understood that they in turn are insinuating that you may drink at work.

It can be also indicated that courtesy of the manner of his conversation and lack of investigation that it’s bullying, it IS.

If he had any general concern to attempt to find the drinking person he needed to carry out an impartial investigation. He didn’t. He simply approached you.

Keep it factual, non emotive, bullet points and to the point. A bully can swim in a river of tears but set the trap back at them and they just get caught.

Great post. Thank you.

Let us know how you get on op. I'm very curious to know why he picked on you. Hope you find out if there is an even more of an asshole in your workplace, stirring!
    Do what you feel is right but you were wise to wait a few days so you could think with a clear mind and not just act in haste.

Let us know how you get on op. I'm very curious to know why he picked on you. Hope you find out if there is an even more of an asshole in your workplace, stirring!
    Do what you feel is right but you were wise to wait a few days so you could think with a clear mind and not just act in haste.

Thank you. I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If I’m a boss and during my walk around in the morning I find a bottle of alcohol in the office my initial thought is....

ok someone who works for us has a PROBLEM...

I want to find who it is and afford them some help and support...

I want to ensure that everyone working is doing so without impairment, from a decision making point of view and health and safety, theirs and their colleagues..

Soooo... I speak to each and every employee, ask them directly if they brought the bottle to work...if they are experiencing any situations in life either in work or personally that is causing them undue stress or difficulty...if they have increased their alcohol intake...if they drink at work or before ... I’d finish by handing out cards for AA and reminding them of their responsibility to their colleagues and the company but again stressing that assistance is available and the door will always be open...

Strumms wrote: »
    If I’m a boss and during my walk around in the morning I find a bottle of alcohol in the office my initial thought is....

ok someone who works for us has a PROBLEM...

I want to find who it is and afford them some help and support...

I want to ensure that everyone working is doing so without impairment, from a decision making point of view and health and safety, theirs and their colleagues..

Soooo... I speak to each and every employee, ask them directly if they brought the bottle to work...if they are experiencing any situations in life either in work or personally that is causing them undue stress or difficulty...if they have increased their alcohol intake...if they drink at work or before ... I’d finish by handing out cards for AA and reminding them of their responsibility to their colleagues and the company but again stressing that assistance is available and the door will always be open...

Absolutely. This is the approach that I would take too.
    That being said, for all I know, the bottle could have been left anywhere, even in a public place. He wouldn't tell me where he found it. It could have been a member of the public that owned it.

His approach to me was a baffling reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

To ask someone that out in public (with zero evidence) seems liked it was intended to embarrass that person. Maybe there was no bottle and the manager made up the story

Very unprofessional and peculiar behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

He's a tool, in my opinion. Very erratic with his moods.

Could he have been drinking. Just a thought. You could report him as talking about an empty alcohol bottle and rambling incoherently to his senior.

Advertisement