Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Libel/Defamatory Laws

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Who are you to question my integrity?

Sue me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

notobtuse wrote: »
    Calling someone racist, willy-nilly, should be libel and/or slander, but who would spend the amount of money needed to prosecute for little-to-no damages earned?

Trump should to it. Lots of people on Twitter call him racist but apparently he is not. He has the means and he'd stick it to the liberals.

(again not a lawyer - maybe laws are different there or he can't for some reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Trump should to it. Lots of people on Twitter call him racist but apparently he is not. He has the means and he'd stick it to the liberals.

(again not a lawyer - maybe laws are different there or he can't for some reason)

Burden of proof would be on plaintiff in the US, making it so you've to prove something is false which for many things it's very hard to prove a negative.

In Ireland you've to prove what you've stated is true, they don't need to prove it's false.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

The left thinks if they keep calling Trump a racist people will begin to believe it. They’re probably right… being disingenuous does have its merits at time for the uneducated, lazy and delusional… sadly. Take Trump’s most recent “hate crime” regarding Baltimore and its representative Cummings. He pointed out that Democrats have failed our inner city citizens and that liberal politicians need to stop doing such a terrible job. That’s racism? Bullcrap! If Trump was an actual racist he’d want democrats do even worse (if that’s even possible) so blacks would be in even more detestable conditions. It’s a lie put forth by democrats and the left just to shut people up. Apparently you can’t call a hellhole a hellhole anymore if the majority of residents are black. Sad state of affairs the left puts people in merely for political gain.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Varik wrote: »
    Burden of proof would be on plaintiff in the US, making it so you've to prove something is false which for many things it's very hard to prove a negative.

That sounds very tricky.

But in the case of Trump we would have the Tweet that people are using to call him racist (probably retweeted with comment). And the Tweet that has the accusation of him being racist. So would that not make things easier?

The court could then rule that Trump's tweet was not racist and that the accusation of racism was unfounded and defamation of his character?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

That sounds very tricky.

But in the case of Trump we would have the Tweet that people are using to call him racist (probably retweeted with comment). And the Tweet that has the accusation of him being racist. So would that not make things easier?

The court could then rule that Trump's tweet was not racist and that the accusation of racism was unfounded and defamation of his character?
    Trumps tweets are only ASSUMED to be racist by the woke offended. It wouldn't stand up in a court of law under normal circumstances... but in this day and age Trump is not allotted the protections of the US Constitution afforded everyone else.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    Trumps tweets are only ASSUMED to be racist by the woke offended. It wouldn't stand up in a court of law under normal circumstances... but in this day and age Trump is not allotted the protections of the US Constitution afforded everyone else.

I'm not really sure what you are saying.

Are you saying - Trump would easily win in court?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Trump is using his own name, in another country.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As the OP is seeking legal advice I'm closing this thread

Any questions please PM me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement