Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trinity college do a deal with United Arab Emirates. UAE have death penalty for LGBT

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

wiggle16 wrote: »
    Whataboutery.

paw patrol wrote: »
    wha?:confused:

-taboutery.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Aboutery.

Dammit you got there before me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

I know what each word means but... what?

Are you conflating a cloackroom queue with ethical questions surrounding UAE investment/ human rights abuse?

I'm saying Trinity is an overrated business that like any business is all progressive on the face of it but is the exact opposite in reality.

Im clearly saying it's a college that peddles bull****.
    Whether that's bull**** about SJW causes or education.

I am wholly unsurprised by the story is what I'm saying.

I'm saying Trinity is an overrated business that like any business is all progressive on the face of it but is the exact opposite in reality.

Im clearly saying it's a college that peddles bull****.
    Whether that's bull**** about SJW causes or education.

I am wholly unsurprised by the story is what I'm saying.
    TCD is probably one of Ireland's least progressive colleges. Who called it progressive??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

This is just cnuts saying 'do as i say not as i do'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

All the virtue signalling eventually catches up with you when cash comes a calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Here's one argument that can no longer be used.
    JEDDAH: Saudi women no longer require a permission from a “male guardian” to travel or obtain a passport, a decree signed by King Salman bin Abdulaziz indicates.

According to the document — seen and verified by Arab News — the decree, issued three days ago, clearly stresses the right of every Saudi citizen to obtain a passport, and limits the need for a guardian’s approval to minors only.

The decree is written in a gender-neutral manner, and does not state any restrictions specific to women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Trinity college management should hang their heads in shame. How can they recognise LGBT and then make a deal with these warlords.

As an alumni all I can say is shame on you

Provost of Trinity, Dr Patrick Prendergast, said:
    This generous gift from the Al Maktoum Foundation comes at a vital moment in the history of Trinity College’s relationship with the Middle East, its peoples and its cultures. Continuing a long-established tradition of Middle Eastern studies in the history of Trinity College, this generous gift comes at a time when society in Ireland must seize the opportunity to enhance the role which all can play in a pluralistic society. Societal challenges created by multiculturalism also present unique opportunities for engagement and enrichment.
    A strategic alliance has been established between Trinity College Dublin and the Al Maktoum College of Higher Education to enhance the development of Middle Eastern Studies in Ireland, and globally, through the establishment of a new Centre for Middle Eastern Studies at Trinity.

Article 354 of the Federal Penal Code of UAE states: "Whoever commits rape on a female or sodomy with a male shall be punished by death."

Article 177 of the Penal Code of Dubai imposes imprisonment of up to 10 years on consensual sodomy.

Mohammed bin Nukhaira Al Dhahiri, Minister of Justice, Islamic Affairs and Auqaf stated, "There will be no room for homosexual and queer acts in the UAE. Our society does not accept queer behaviour, either in word or in action"

https://www.tcd.ie/news_events/articles/trinity-establishes-al-maktoum-centre-for-middle-eastern-studies/

Is the Al Maktoum College the govt of Saudi Arabia?

The foundation was set up by AL Maktoum and received 10 billion from him. But it gets money from elsewhere too. It pledged 100,000 books to children in the Arab world, and grants to writers of children's books.

It gave food to people in Pakistan.

You realize the Saudi Royal family and the foundation are different entities?

You realize you can be against the death penalty for gay people and support education for arab children?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Is the Al Maktoum College the govt of Saudi Arabia?

The foundation was set up by AL Maktoum and received 10 billion from him. But it gets money from elsewhere too. It pledged 100,000 books to children in the Arab world, and grants to writers of children's books.

It gave food to people in Pakistan.

You realize the Saudi Royal family and the foundation are different entities?

You realize you can be against the death penalty for gay people and support education for arab children?

re read the thread, you are arguing against yourself

• Advertisement

re read the thread, you are arguing against yourself
    No i am not. The thread is ridiculous.

sabat wrote: »
    As I said, it's probably illegal for universities to participate in the programme at all, as long as it differentiates between male and female students. From the perspective of the rest of the country, they have effectively given the green light for Sharia law to apply on Irish soil, so for the greater good I would refuse to allow any Saudi students here until they change this requirement.

You CANNOT be serious??

We boycott saudis because of stuff their non democratic govt does that they cannot change?

No i am not. The thread is ridiculous.

if you had read the thread someone else brought up saudi

Article 354 of the Federal Penal Code of UAE states: "Whoever commits rape on a female or sodomy with a male shall be punished by death."

Article 177 of the Penal Code of Dubai imposes imprisonment of up to 10 years on consensual sodomy.

this is about UAE and the death penalty

On May 19, 2007, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, announced his plans to give 10 billion USD to set up the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Foundation, an educational foundation in the Middle East. This was one of the largest charitable donations in history.[1] Sheikh Mohammed stated that the money is meant to bridge the knowledge gap between the Arab region and the developed world,[2]

if you had read the thread someone else brought up saudi

this is about UAE and the death penalty

On May 19, 2007, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, announced his plans to give 10 billion USD to set up the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Foundation, an educational foundation in the Middle East. This was one of the largest charitable donations in history.[1] Sheikh Mohammed stated that the money is meant to bridge the knowledge gap between the Arab region and the developed world,[2]

It doesn't make a blind bit of difference. Its a university making a deal with another university supported by a charitable foundation.

You can and SHOULD separate your politics from your charity etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭granturismo

You can and SHOULD separate your politics from your charity etc.

You should know that they are not mutually exclusive. Remember Noraid?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_charities_accused_of_ties_to_terrorism

Good to see that you now know the difference between KSA, UAE and Dubai.

I wonder if Princess Haya will pay TCD a visit if she is at the RDS next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Plenty of Irish hypocrites over in the UAE, they'll look down their nose at the racist etc. "proles" but have no problem living in a shiny fascist state.

• Advertisement

kikilarue2 wrote: »
    As an aside, and not that it makes it a whole pile better - the thread title is a little misleading. In the OPs own opening post he shows that death is the penalty for rape or anal rape, while a long prison sentence is the punishment for consensual gay sex.

No ... death is the penalty for sodomy

why must every action be seen in the context of LGBT?

There are other bad situations in the world but nothing raises the ire of the righteous like upsetting the LGBT

Our Taoiseach cannot visit UAE and be sexually active with his partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I suppose if you have family and friends living normal lives as gay people here, and you go to their weddings or sit beside them in work every day, it's hard to process the idea that that there are people exactly like them, who live just a few hours away, face arbitrary terms of imprisonment; the exact same goes for anyone with a mother or sisters, you're talking about gross violations of people who were unlucky enough to be considered inferior, yet they live down the road, and are just like our relations.

Yes, there are plenty of bad situations in the world. Penalty points, arriving at Superquinn after they've closed, and rainy weather are just some examples. Yet almost nobody says 'oh shut up' when we gripe about those things. Yet women's rights, etc, raise special ire as though it's "virtue-signalling". Lets have perspective.

sorry I missed your reply to me …

your point isn't invalid but the "bad situations" you mention aren't to the degree I meant..I think you were being smart for the sake of the likes....but those comparisons are stupid.

I was thinking of things like dead palestinian kids, or dead Yemeni kids that type of thing.

The irish government love nothing more than to bow down to the Chinese and others of that calibre, it does get some slight dissent but nothing compared to "the gays".

my question is legitimate why is LGBT above all others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

why must every action be seen in the context of LGBT?

There are other bad situations in the world but nothing raises the ire of the righteous like upsetting the LGBT

Exactly. Who cares. LGBT doesn't rule the world, money does.

Exactly. Who cares. LGBT doesn't rule the world, money does.

I think it is because they execute LGBT

sorry I missed your reply to me …

your point isn't invalid but the "bad situations" you mention aren't to the degree I meant..I think you were being smart for the sake of the likes....but those comparisons are stupid.

I was thinking of things like dead palestinian kids, or dead Yemeni kids that type of thing.

The irish government love nothing more than to bow down to the Chinese and others of that calibre, it does get some slight dissent but nothing compared to "the gays".

my question is legitimate why is LGBT above all others?
    For exactly the reason I said -- all of us work with gay people, or have gay people in our families or circle of friends. It's perhaps a human failure that we tend to rank our compassion for groups in society based on how relatable they are. See also: the Irish reaction to that Irish guy who has been threatened with deportation from the States, vs our reaction to the Mexican children being held in cages. ANd yes, the failure of western societies to give much of a toss about Yemen is another classic example.

Nevertheless, that in now way diminishes or devalues the concerns people have about persecution of LGBT individuals in some middle eastern states.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't subconsciously need to have that additional, personalised context to care about a major violation of human rights. But that's just how things be sometimes.

• Advertisement

As I posted Saudi executed 5 gay men so far this year, (that they admitted)

Maybe trinitys Middle Eastern studies should include this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved from AH > CA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

As an alumni all I can say is shame on you

:eek:

Hard to believe that someone claiming to be an alumnus of TCD would get the term wrong - unless of course you're a pair of conjoined twins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Edgware wrote: »
    Waiting for those paragons of left wing liberalism Trinity wage earners Robinson, Bacik and Norris to condemn the deal

How can you condemn the hand that feeds you when you have you head buried snout deep in the trough? Yes it is amazing.

As I posted Saudi executed 5 gay men so far this year, (that they admitted)

Maybe trinitys Middle Eastern studies should include this

You think Dr Ali Selim and Daddy Halawa want you discussing this on "their" campus?

"Trinity the finest education that money can buy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Money trumps everything. See USA's recent 8 billion arms deal with the Saudis, who are wiping out 100s of thousands of poor Yemenis with these lovely toys.

Makes a joke out of the so called Allies invading the likes of Iraq in the name of Democracy. Seems there is one law for one Country and another for the other set. Now I am old enough to see through the BS and have seen how wars have developed, sides being swapped around at a whim, from Vietnam to Afghanistan but what is bothersome and somewhat distasteful is how so many people appear to have the wool pulled over their eyes and it must be a very thin brand of wool.

PS* Is there an email address or person one could get in touch with to lodge our opposition to this deal.

PS* Is there an email address or person one could get in touch with to lodge our opposition to this deal.

The Provost in Trinity later said in an aside that yes the Al Maktoums had their issues but there were far worse people they could be taking money from (Rothschilds and Monsantos, were never mentioned).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

You think Dr Ali Selim and Daddy Halawa want you discussing this on "their" campus?

"Trinity the finest education that money can buy"

That's the point, it is not their campus.

That's the point, it is not their campus.

Isnt it? They think it is. They are paying the piper?

Oh its their campus alright "I can say what I want and get away with it."

https://www.buzz.ie/latest/trinity-lecturer-female-circumcision-legal-272289

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/trinity-college-unfairly-dismissed-lecturer-at-centre-of-controversial-prime-time-fgm-comments/ar-BBWevBT

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/trinity-lecturer-wins-unfair-dismissal-case-over-female-circumcision-comments-1.3869583

Now If I said should we be promoting LGBTQ+ policies on campus, I would be torn aparts in the square. But they reinstate an Employee who said it was fair game...... The mind boggles. The tail is definitely wagging the dog on this one.

vriesmays wrote: »
    They also gave an award in 2017 to an historian who faked her relatives getting killed in the holocaust.

vriesmays wrote: »
    A post on Trinity College's website congratulating Hingst on her blogging prize in 2017 was removed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7309995/Marie-Sophie-Hingst-dead-lied-related-Holocaust-victims.html

As the lady in question was obviously deeply troubled, as anybody who read last week's poignant Irish Times article on her life and suicide could conclude, could you not find a stronger target than somebody who is barely cold in her coffin?

• Advertisement

As the lady in question was obviously deeply troubled, as anybody who read last week's poignant Irish Times article on her life and suicide could conclude, could you not find a stronger target than somebody who is barely cold in her coffin?

She is not the target of derision, it is those who failed to verify her research and credentials are at fault.

Advertisement