Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign exchange in banks and post office

• 01-08-2019 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭

When did the banks (and apparently the post office) stop exchanging foreign currency for cash, and start insisting it be lodged to an account instead?

Presume it's to do with money-laundering?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Don't know, been years since I used them, rip off rates.

Save yourself money and hassle with the likes of Revolut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Bank a couple of years ago. I was able to buy Dollars with cash in two post offices in March 2019. One Post Office was my local town where I knew the staff, the other was a City Centre Post Office that I never had been before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

This was converting Sterling notes back to euro. I can understand that they mightn't want to order in foreign currency, but it's hardly like banks don't have euros on the premises!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

This was converting Sterling notes back to euro.

Unless I got my math wrong, you want to be buying sterling now, not selling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Of course posters know that I'm neither asking about nonconventional currencies, nor currency speculation.

I'm merely asking when and why it became normal practice for Irish banks to refuse to change, in my case, £65 Sterling in cash to Euro cash when I came back from holidays...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Of course posters know that I'm neither asking about nonconventional currencies, nor currency speculation.

I'm merely asking when and why it became normal practice for Irish banks to refuse to change, in my case, £65 Sterling in cash to Euro cash when I came back from holidays...

I change any cash over in Tesco at Pembroke Dock before I come back over by ferry. They will change cash for cash up to at least €1000 and don't even ask for ID. Exchange rates aren't too bad.

Advertisement