Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Company Responsibilities?

Options
  • 01-08-2019 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

We are private renters of an apartment in a block.

The management company for the blocks seems to be fairly active as communal floors and stairs are cleaned occasionally and they seem to be rather finicky at times leaving notes on things like Prams and so on that are not inconveniencing anyone or blocking any exits but are in hallways.

We have both noticed a really bad smell building up in the hallway outside our apartment door which is starting to seep into our internal hall.
    Its a fairly serious stink of what seems like decaying food.

I rang the management companies number and talked to them, said they would check it out but never heard back from them.

I would like to know what the rules are relating to management companies and hygiene, it seems probable that the stink is coming from a neighboring apartment but surely there is some comeback for us relating to this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There is no comeback for you. You have no relationship with your management company. Your landlord is a member, you should report the issue to them and the management agent will deal with them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In general, and despite how unsanitary it may be- the management company would not tend to have any dealings with tenants/residents who have issues with scents/odours emitting from each other's properties. I have two owners practically screaming here- one claiming the other is parking in 'their' space (its unallocated parking) and the other screaming about the smell from cooking from the other apartment (they're Indian- and to be perfectly honest- the smell from their cooking is something divine).

So, while it is up to your landlord to contact the Management Company- or the Managing Agent- honestly, I'm not sure that anything will come about as a result of the intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

You really wouldn't have any pull with the management company yourselves; you'd have to go through the landlord to get anywhere that way.

How well do you know your neighbours? Are there any that you haven't seen around recently? You might want to consider seeing if you can figure out where that odour is coming from and maybe ring the guards to do a welfare check if you're unable to contact the person living there for a while.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

dennyk wrote: »
    maybe ring the guards to do a welfare check if you're unable to contact the person living there for a while.

Be careful though- a 'welfare check' often involves breaking down the door if there is no answer at the door. Be sure of your facts before going down this road (aka- the neighbour has not been seen in at least x number of days, they have not answered their door to neighbours, attempts to contact them by phone/e-mail (etc) have failed........ Build up a picture (if appropriate).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

dennyk wrote: »
    maybe ring the guards to do a welfare check if you're unable to contact the person living there for a while.

Be careful though- a 'welfare check' often involves breaking down the door if there is no answer at the door. Be sure of your facts before going down this road (aka- the neighbour has not been seen in at least x number of days, they have not answered their door to neighbours, attempts to contact them by phone/e-mail (etc) have failed........ Build up a picture (if appropriate).

Ah thanks for all the replies they are definitely alive, they clearly just don't drop out their bins, can only imagine what the smell like is inside, I am a smoker and I am not sensitive to smell so if external stinks to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

finicky at times leaving notes on things like Prams and so on that are not inconveniencing anyone or blocking any exits but are in hallways.

As an aside, that kind of thing could get flagged if a fire safety inspection is carried out

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ah thanks for all the replies they are definitely alive, they clearly just don't drop out their bins, can only imagine what the smell like is inside, I am a smoker and I am not sensitive to smell so if external stinks to me!

Try complaining to the environmental health department of your local council.

Advertisement