Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone just tried to register our house with RTB

Options
  • 01-08-2019 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭

So yesterday we got a letter that was addressed to an unknown person, but had our house address on it (we own the house for over 15+ years).

So out of curiosity I just opened the letter, to my surprise it was a letter from the RTB stating that the person X (the name of the person on the letter), was registered as being a tenant in our house !

I contacted RTB today, after a lot of back and forth and being on hold. The lady on the other side stated that the issue has been sorted. But said she couldn't give us more details on it. So I am wondering if this is was some sort of scam or maybe a genuine mistake ? The address on the letter is 100% ours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Probably just a mistake and it has been resolved now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Probably just a mistake and it has been resolved now

Thanks.. Still don't get why RTB wouldn't just say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

They probably just misread someone's writing on the form

Don’t open letters addressed to other persons. It’s illegal to do so. Mark it as ‘Unknown at this address’ , draw a line through the address and put it back in the postbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

They probably just misread someone's writing on the form

Do you actually think a government department would actually state that they made an error - That would mean one of their colleagues were to blame, their other work might be checked too.

Can't have that, can we?

If they made an error, they will never admit it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Thanks.. Still don't get why RTB wouldn't just say that.

Because you’re not supposed to open correspondence not addressed to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

Addle wrote: »
    Because you’re not supposed to open correspondence not addressed to you.

Honestly I didn't think anything of it, since it had my address on it. I do remember when we moved into the house years ago, it was common to get letters addressed to the previous owner and we just sent it along to their new address. But has been a good 10 years since we got a letter to an unknown person.

But I see your point, I was just worried about some shady stuff for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

JayZeus wrote: »
    Don’t open letters addressed to other persons. It’s illegal to do so. Mark it as ‘Unknown at this address’ , draw a line through the address and put it back in the postbox.

Yes, except An Post NEVER returns post to sender.. so the sender, if this is a scam, will not be aware that a fake address was used and could suffer loss, and the property owner could also be affected e.g. credit rating trashed, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Well if you want to get technical.

On the other hand it's hard to say it was addressed to another person when the address is wrong. The person named simply does not exist at that address.

I think the op had every right to protect their home/property and not have it listed in a database as a rental property with a tenant whether it was an error or fraud.

No harm done either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

JayZeus wrote:

Ive done it a few times by not looking at the address, its either for my wife or I and whoever is home opens normally.

• Advertisement

TSQ wrote: »
    Yes, except An Post NEVER returns post to sender.. so the sender, if this is a scam, will not be aware that a fake address was used and could suffer loss, and the property owner could also be affected e.g. credit rating trashed, etc.
    They definitely do to where I work.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Addle wrote: »
    They definitely do to where I work.

Well then whoever works in the mail rooms of the organisations to which I have repeatedly returned mail marked “return to sender” must be just putting it in the bin, because I was getting bank statements and other post for previous tenants going on two years (and counting), despite putting back in the post. Now I just tear them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

Slightly off topic but aren't all properties that are being rented out supposed to be registered with the RTB? I just checked online and very few of the properties near me that have tenants in them are registered. And An Post do send letters back to where I work.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Slightly off topic but aren't all properties that are being rented out supposed to be registered with the RTB? I just checked online and very few of the properties near me that have tenants in them are registered. And An Post do send letters back to where I work.

They are meant to be registered, but the public register is not complete. Not being there does not mean it is not registered.

Well then whoever works in the mail rooms of the organisations to which I have repeatedly returned mail marked “return to sender” must be just putting it in the bin, because I was getting bank statements and other post for previous tenants going on two years (and counting), despite putting back in the post. Now I just tear them up.
    That’s probably the banks fault rather than an post.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, except An Post NEVER returns post to sender..

That is not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

Well even if AnPost is sending back letters marked as "Unknown at this address", what are the chances the sender is following up with the person to see if there was a mistake in the address provided or if they have recently changed address, I bet this never happens. As it requires more time and money for the sender to follow-up on 100s of return letters they might get in a given day.

So in most likelihood, if it is a fraud it can go unnoticed since the OP is just going to be sending back letters, with the sender not fixing the issue on their side. While if it was genuine the actual person might get in contact and see why they aren't receiving any letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Opening mystery letters is too much fun. Some laws are more honoured in the breach than in the observance.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well, it's the OP's address, so it sort of was addressed to them...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

What if the mistake was the name, and not the address? The letter would have gotten to the correct place but the person ends up quivering in the corner, staring over at the envelope, because somebody else's name is on it? :confused: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement