Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm for a large shed

Options
  • 01-08-2019 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've had a shed built, its 112sq m and I would like to have an alarm installed for a bit of extra security.

Preferably wired so I don't have to worry about batteries, couple of pir's, nothing too fancy just simple and reliable if there is such a thing.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is there power in the shed?
    Are you looking for this to be totally independent of your house alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

KoolKid wrote: »
    Is there power in the shed?
    Are you looking for this to be totally independent of your house alarm?

Yes power in the shed and I would like it to be independent of the house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most systems would do that for you.Lolking for any particular features.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

KoolKid wrote: »
    Most systems would do that for you.Lolking for any particular features.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something reliable.

I suppose a fob would be nice, couple of wired pir's, dummy box for rear of shed with an led.

I see some Yale systems online at reasonable prices, are they any good?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've a Yale System that I use for my home and I'm very happy with it.

It isn't perfect, but it is very good value for money, easy to setup and perfect for a shed IMO.

One issue, is that the Yale hub connects to your broadband over ethernet. Therefore you would need to add an ethernet to wireless access point in your shed to connect it the the broadband in your home and you'd need to make sure your wifi reaches your shed. So this might add a bit of complexity and possibly reduce reliability a bit.

Another option worth considering is the Honeywell Evohome Alarm, some versions of which also operate over GSM, as well as ethernet. Even you decide to go with this option, just make sure to get the version with GSM support, not all Evohome alarms have it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement