Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IONITY - charging / fees / tips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Kill South is still not open yet. It looks complete but no sign of it being switched on. I wonder what the delay is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Just to note a good experience with Ionity Cashel unit 3. At arrival time, two spots were ICEed. Plugged in, acknowledged a message about 79 c per kWh, swiped Maingau card and process stared. Maingau app wasn't showing any charging process. Didn't have to much time to fiddle with the app being with the kids and all. Went with the kids at macD which is takeaway only. By the time we returned to the car to eat it was minute 34 and I had to move the car as it was at 86% probably the highest SOC has seen this year. At departure time one spot still ICED. Overall good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

2 of the 4 in Athlone currently not working. 1 says not working 1 says it’s occupied.
    I used one of the "not working" ones on Friday and it was free vend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭elektrik

innrain wrote: »
    Plugged in, acknowledged a message about 79 c per kWh, swiped Maingau card and process stared. Maingau app wasn't showing any charging process.

Since you swiped Maingau card - were you charged €0.40/kWh in the end?

33.454 kWh@38.98 (no units here) => NET € 11.24 TAX € 1.80 Gross € 13.04

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

unkel wrote: »
    This would only be suitable for a very small number of EV owners. You would need:

1. To stop for several hours. Fair enough if you do some sight seeing / shopping / long lunch / relax

AND

2. Your car needs to be able to AC charge at 22kW, very few EVs can do that

BTW this is exactly what I am going to do now in Dublin, provided I can get an AC charger very close to Stephen's Green :p

I think your misunderstanding me a bit here :) I'm not saying EV Owners in Germany primarily use AC only, I'm saying they hardly use DC at all if they can help it.

The E-Tron is a big car, 11kW is no problem on a small car but on a larger vehicle it takes quite some time to replenish the range.

You can get an AC Charge for cheap or almost free + parking included and use that time to do something else in a City.

DC you generally have to pay for and that time you spend is usually used just eating a sandwich at a motorway rest stop next to some trucks.

But ya, it's a bit crap in the E-Tron those City stops are pretty much out the window unless you plan on spending 8 hours at your stop and you'd need another rapid charge anyway either before or after your stop.

It just makes it a little less flexible.

Works great on Rapid Charging though, in certain places this is fine, Budapest and many French cities have on street 50kW rapid chargers in the City Center.

Monaco has them all over the place, however I wouldn't say this is a very good idea either.

Game over in Germany though, hardly any DC Chargers in City Centers

Should be a bit better when they introduce AC 22kW in the E-Tron though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Oh i understood you perfectly. And I did the same thing myself yesterday, parked right beside Stephen's Green (where we had lunch)

Parking there was pretty cheap (for Dublin) too at just €1.40 per hour. The car takes in 23kW * €0.08/kWh = €1.84 per hour in free electricity, so yeah I guess that was free parking really :D

(Mind you the bill for my lunch was €240 :eek:)

Oh i understood you perfectly. And I did the same thing myself yesterday, parked right beside Stephen's Green (where we had lunch) and loaded up with a load of free electricity on the 23kW AC charge point :D

Parking there was pretty cheap (for Dublin) too at just €1.40 per hour. The car takes in 23kW * €0.08/kWh = €1.84 per hour in free electricity :D

Moving to the Tesla owner mentality I see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Oh i understood you perfectly. And I did the same thing myself yesterday, parked right beside Stephen's Green (where we had lunch) and loaded up with a load of free electricity on the 23kW AC charge point :D

Parking there was pretty cheap (for Dublin) too at just €1.40 per hour. The car takes in 23kW * €0.08/kWh = €1.84 per hour in free electricity :D

where was that unkel?

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    where was that unkel?

Earlsfort Terrace (beside the National Concert Hall)

I normally never even try charging in Dublin city centre but traffic seemed quiet and plenty of parking spaces around so I did give it a go.

That must be an old image. Parking most certainly was not free. Do you really think I would have paid for parking if I didn't have to? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

How much was lunch when you drove Ioniq? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ionity kill north showing up on the easygo app, but all connectors unavailable...4 chargers 130kW Max each.

Kill south not showing up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

Earlsfort Terrace (beside the National Concert Hall)

I normally never even try charging in Dublin city centre but traffic seemed quiet and plenty of parking spaces around so I did give it a go.

That must be an old image. Parking most certainly was not free. Do you really think I would have paid for parking if I didn't have to? :D

Parking is free there on Sundays and after 7pm every other day, it's where I generally charge mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

33.454 kWh@38.98 (no units here) => NET € 11.24 TAX € 1.80 Gross € 13.04

I have a Maingau card but have not used it yet. How does it work? I suppose what I am asking does it take money from your card as soon as you add the payment card or does it charge you after you charge?

I can see the bill in the app but the bank account was not charged yet. I presume it is like ESB they charge you once a month.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

You'll be charged at the end of the month

I'm still waiting on my Maingau card, account made on 13th of June, already had a few chats with them online (google translate ftw), and still no card :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I ordered a card 10 days ago - it's here now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I setup an account with Maingau last week but pretty sure that they state they will automatically send out a card, didn't see where to order one

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

They automatically sent me a card too, I didnt request it.

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I ordered a card 10 days ago - it's here now

To clarify - it was a replacement card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I set up a Maingau account when Ionity came here first. I could never get a card sent to me, no matter how many post codes or tricks I tried. I gave up and will just use the app. I haven't used it to date because ... Chargepoint. :o

I set up a Maingau account when Ionity came here first. I could never get a card sent to me, no matter how many post codes or tricks I tried. I gave up and will just use the app. I haven't used it to date because ... Chargepoint. :o

I though Chargepoint no longer allows the €8 per session (or whatever the amount is)?

Chargepoint is now ~60c/kWh

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I though Chargepoint no longer allows the €8 per session (or whatever the amount is)?

It doesn't now, but I took full advantage of the €7.41 flat fee. Now I'll have to use bleedin' Maingau if I ever have to rapid charge. :D

ELM327 wrote: »
    Chargepoint is now ~60c/kWh

Don't remind me! It was good while it lasted though, huh? :P

Yes, I got a couple of charges for €6.42 back in the day!

moggins7 wrote: »
    Parking is free there on Sundays

Nope. You are wrong. Your info must be outdated. Have a good look the next time before you leave your car as there is a good chance you will be clamped if you don't pay. I see culchie EVs clamped at charge points in Dublin all the time.

It's cheap though, just €1.40 per hour on a Sunday afternoon.

• Advertisement

...I could never get a card sent to me, no matter how many post codes or tricks I tried. I gave up and will just use the app...

I asked them, they confirmed it - you CAN'T use the app to get the special price with ionity. By just using the app you can activate the chargers but the price will be Ionity price (€0.80/kWh), and NOT the discounted price

Advertisement