Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IONITY - charging / fees / tips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Kramer wrote: »
    So you're saying EV motorway motoring or regular long distance travelling should be within the sole purview of the more affluent then, i.e. those who can afford to buy 80/90/100kWh cars, at upwards of €100,000?

That's not going to help the environment in the move to greener means of transport.

:P.

Its worse than that actually... if you have no driveway/home-charging you are completely screwed! :)

It will improve in time as we get hubs around cities and there are more on-street solutions but in the interim its not a great story to tell prospective EV buyers who regularly do long motorway runs and have no home charging options.

Having said that, 60kWh BEV's are available for alot less than €100k. ID.3 and Kia/Hyundai offerings for €30k-€40k will do a long motorway run in this country for relatively small money, even on Ionity... which is the point most people are making here when it comes to the cost. Take the overall cost of your motoring not the one expensive bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

It's always been said here "don't buy a car that will rely on the public network"

I think we can all appreciate unkel's opinion & he said the opposite. He said we don't need bigger battery cars, we need smaller, faster charging cars & more available, faster chargers.

We are making zero progress now IMO & arguably going backwards with regard to EV adoption. Car prices are going up (over €50,000 for a Kona, before unsustainable tax incentives/grants), 70c/kWh+ for 100kW fast charging, expensive AC charging, far fewer chargers now per BEV on the road than 10 years ago etc.

We've covered just over 100,000 electric kilometres in the last 2 years & I'm a big EV proponent.
    The only argument in favour now is "you'll save a packet by charging at home on night rate".

It's terribly disheartening :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

We need a better charging network because we aren’t in control of battery technology. If you want to self determine the countries future for EVs, it has to be with levers you can actually control.

The third factor in this EV uptake triangle, and it’s pretty clear that time is very much of the essence.

If you think the only persuasion tactic is about fuel vs charging costs, I think you’re not looking hard enough.

The running costs of EVs are substantially lower in so many ways, they require so little maintenance, and even the cheap ones are so high performance compared to great ICE cars.

And there are plenty of EVs owners, and prospective owners, for whom air pollution and climate concerns are a massive deciding factor. That’s why I made the switch to an EV last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Current rates for Ionity (at least with the cards I have) from September 1st:

Plugsurfing: 101c/kWh
    Chargemap: 89c/kWh
    ChargeNow 79c/kWh]
    New Motion 79c/kWh
    Ionity: 79c/kWh
    Maingau: 73.11c/kWh
    Chargepoint 64c/kWh

I'll still be using them on occasion anyway... the Kill North and South locations are in the right spot for most of my unplanned journeys

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Gotta say I'm suprised how many people seem to rely on these pay chargers.

Am new to the BEV game and perhaps naively, I thought most people only use them for big trips to top up, and use home chargers for the majority of their needs.

Am fortunate enough to have a drive way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

I think they will adjust prices in future. I'm also not sure how equal are energy prices in Europe, they have single price of kWh in all markets but I'm pretty sure consumer prices are way more varied. This could mean different perception of this price relative to market.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Just has my first IONITY experience in cashel , all good and very fast speeds on the etron but the cables are bloody short aren’t they !

There was an I pace charging aswell when I got there midday yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Anyone confirm if Chargepoint still works with IONITY, not showing on the map on their app.
    I have a Chargepoint card, planning a quick stop through Gorey tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Maingau card arrived in the post today, I guess straight into the bin it goes.....

Well, of course I'll hang onto it for emergencies, and for any possible future ventures into Europe...

Does the card need to be registered/activated? Ist is all in Deutche!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Well you have 4 more days to use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Register the card to your account via the app. Serial number is on the back of the card.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Maingau card arrived in the post today, I guess straight into the bin it goes.....

Well, of course I'll hang onto it for emergencies, and for any possible future ventures into Europe...

To use it you have to link to your account in the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

It's a bit sheet you guys don't have any competition, hopefully it will come when there is a market for it.

Ionity are rather small in Germany, it's EnBW whos king :)
    4A9E2AE8-FB0D-4730-BB4A-BF168E55CCD5.jpeg

Max 300kW, you can use your Maingau card on those still ;)

Whats the c/kWh on those?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Whats the c/kWh on those?

PAYG:
    39 cent/kWh at normal charging stations (AC)
    49 cent/kWh at quick charging stations and High Power Chargers (HPC)

Subscription:
    29 cent/kWh at normal charging stations (AC)
    39 cent/kWh at quick charging stations and High Power Chargers (HPC)
    EUR 4.99 per month basic fee from the 4th month onwards

https://www.enbw.com/company/investors/news-and-publications/enbw-makes-electromobility-easier-new-tariff-based-solely-on-ene.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭s8n

I'm really confused, where and what do I register with if I ever need to use these chargers ?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

s8n wrote: »
    I'm really confused, where and what do I register with if I ever need to use these chargers ?

Ionity have an app. 79c/kWh.

Maingau (German electricity provider) also can start ionity chargers using the einfachstromladen app. 73c /kWh (if I remember correctly).

Chargepoint is another app you can use to start these chargers. Currently the cheapest at 64c/kWh.

thos wrote: »
    Anyone confirm if Chargepoint still works with IONITY, not showing on the map on their app.
    I have a Chargepoint card, planning a quick stop through Gorey tomorrow.
    Well it did, at .64c/kw

Handy with the card anyway, beats IONITY phone app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

s8n wrote: »

What car do you have? They are CCS only so no leaf,. Some brands have a deal with Ionity for free/reduced fees.

simplest is to download Ionity app, Ionity have no RFID card. Some other options are slightly cheaper.

• Advertisement

thos wrote: »
    Well it did, at .64c/kw

Handy with the card anyway, beats IONITY phone app.
    Also, tip for infrequent chargers, try to finish your charge off to the nearest round €10

I did 33kwh , cost €21, but that meant Chargepoint topped up my card €10+€20 leaving me with €9ish balance on the card which I won’t use again for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 oceanfroggie

Kramer wrote: »
    So you're saying EV motorway motoring or regular long distance travelling should be within the sole purview of the more affluent then, i.e. those who can afford to buy 80/90/100kWh cars, at upwards of €100,000?

That's not going to help the environment in the move to greener means of transport.

:P.

Fake nues, any of the affordable EVs such as Renault Zoe, Peugeot e208, or VW ID.3 base model can complete motorway trips in Ireland on a single charge, kerry, Donegal, no problem. So no need to use public charging network on route nor Ionity. Home charging on night rate @8c/kWh and destination charging still makes BEV 10% of the fueling costs compared to ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 oceanfroggie

Ps. Ireland is geographically too small for Ionity to be a viable proposition here. The distances are just too short. ESB eCars have good nationwide FCP motorway coverage and improving all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fake nues, any of the affordable EVs such as Renault Zoe, Peugeot e208, or VW ID.3 base model can complete motorway trips in Ireland on a single charge, kerry, Donegal, no problem. So no need to use public charging network on route nor Ionity. Home charging on night rate @8c/kWh and destination charging still makes BEV 10% of the fueling costs compared to ICE.

hang on, you can can get from Dublin to Kerry on a single charge with one of the above ? 370-380k half of it at 120km/h?

i very much doubt it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ps. Ireland is geographically too small for Ionity to be a viable proposition here. The distances are just too short. ESB eCars have good nationwide FCP motorway coverage and improving all the time.

LOL, been an EV driver for 4 years, eCars are brutal and no signs of improvement.
    If an EV purchaser in 2020 get a car with the longest range you can afford so you can avoid the broken/single point of charging/queues that eCars strategy perpetuate.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Cyrus wrote: »
    hang on, you can can get from Dublin to Kerry on a single charge with one of the above ? 370-380k half of it at 120km/h?

i very much doubt it
    No you cant, I agree

Cyrus wrote: »

i very much doubt it

In fairness, there’s nothing in the post you’re replying to that said you’d be driving at the upper speed limit

I drove from North County Dublin to Tarbert in North Kerry about 3 weeks ago.
    Left the house at 100%, drove to Artane, then down to Kerry via Birdhill supercharger. Home to Birdhill was 215km, and I arrived there at 29% (driving at 110km/h on 120km/h motorways (though as I got closer to Birdhill, I increased speed, thus reducing efficiency))

It was another 81km from Birdhill to Tarbert in Kerry, which I would have easily made without the supercharger stop (used around 20% getting there). (I stoped for a supercharge because, a. I have free supercharger km's, and b. I was getting the ferry over to Clare and going on a random drive up along the Atlantic coast so wanted the charge)

I'm driving an SR+, so a Zoe and a Kona (plus anything else in or around the 400km WLTP range bracket) would easily do the same, if not more on a full charge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think you'll find driving at 120 versus 110 has very little impact on efficiency Andy, plus when you are arriving at supercharger any very minor loss in SOC will be made up in combination of higher initial charging speed and you getting to the supercharger quicker.
    This is where the Tesla's shine, I drive full 120 on motorways all the time as I could see virtually no difference versus 110

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

I notice the projected arrival SOC always increases the more I slow down (irrelevant of course if you plan a charging stop along the way).

When I set off it projected me to arrive in Birdhill at 19%, so by going slightly slower on the motorway, as well as all round easier driving/acceleration I saved 10% by the time I got there, irrelevant for me as I had a charge stop on my route, but I wanted to try out 'efficient driving' and all that, to see how far I 'could' get without stopping for charges...

Advertisement