Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IONITY - charging / fees / tips

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Try 120 next time, I suspect you will still see 19% predicted but as you go through your journey it will creep up quite a few percent.
    My airport runs from home -airport - home inexplicably require 80% according to Tesla starting off but I do it at 70% driving at full speed limits, it's weird as generally every other Sat Nav prediction via the Tesla is really accurate

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I drove from North County Dublin to Tarbert in North Kerry about 3 weeks ago.
    Left the house at 100%, drove to Artane, then down to Kerry via Birdhill supercharger. Home to Birdhill was 215km, and I arrived there at 29% (driving at 110km/h on 120km/h motorways (though as I got closer to Birdhill, I increased speed, thus reducing efficiency))

It was another 81km from Birdhill to Tarbert in Kerry, which I would have easily made without the supercharger stop (used around 20% getting there). (I stoped for a supercharge because, a. I have free supercharger km's, and b. I was getting the ferry over to Clare and going on a random drive up along the Atlantic coast so wanted the charge)

I'm driving an SR+, so a Zoe and a Kona (plus anything else in or around the 400km WLTP range bracket) would easily do the same, if not more on a full charge.

Tarbert is 270km give or take, Sneem/kenmare is another 100km on top of that

MJohnston wrote: »
    In fairness, there’s nothing in the post you’re replying to that said you’d be driving at the upper speed limit

i dont care what speed they are going at, doing a 370km trip without charging is pretty unlikely, or the speed youd have to do it at would mean you would be faster stopping to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

slave1 wrote: »
    Try 120 next time, I suspect you will still see 19% predicted but as you go through your journey it will creep up quite a few percent.
    My airport runs from home -airport - home inexplicably require 80% according to Tesla starting off but I do it at 70% driving at full speed limits, it's weird as generally every other Sat Nav prediction via the Tesla is really accurate
    I find that in the summer I gain 5-7 percentage points on the arrival SOC over a 200km trip. In the winter I generally lose 1-2. It's the most accurate by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Cyrus wrote: »
    i dont care what speed they are going at, doing a 370km trip without charging is pretty unlikely, or the speed youd have to do it at would mean you would be faster stopping to charge.

Well, poster also didn’t mention where the journey would start *from* so it could be a less than 300km journey (N7 M50 to Killarney for example).

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    Well, poster also didn’t mention where the journey would start *from* so it could be a less than 300km journey (N7 M50 to Killarney for example).

maybe, but thats not really the jist of the post, that i took at least.

if they said you can goto parts of kerry or donegal as long as you dont travel above a certain speed and the weather is good that would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Cyrus wrote: »
    Tarbert is 270km give or take, Sneem/kenmare is another 100km on top of that

I drove from Lucan to Sneem last Friday ~350km SR+.
    120kmph on Motorway to Birdhill ~180km, arrived with 40%. Supercharge cost €7 to 98% as they are all slow eaters.
    Arrived to Sneem from Birdhill ~180km with 40%
    Used a combination of ESB chargers and 3 pin plug while down there, Sneem hotel Tesla destination charger wasn't working.

Had the option to go M7 through Ionity Cashel but would take the Tesla Supercharger everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gforcemurphy

I have a question.

I just had a used Volvo XC90 T8 delivered, I appreciate the battery in that is pretty small. I have ordered a Zappi for the house but may not come for another couple of weeks. What is the best option for me if I just want to charge every now and again, and only small amounts? I see the Maingau card might make things a bit cheaper, but then I see some people saying it’s not that useful (or not any more)?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I have a question.

I just had a used Volvo XC90 T8 delivered, I appreciate the battery in that is pretty small. I have ordered a Zappi for the house but may not come for another couple of weeks. What is the best option for me if I just want to charge every now and again, and only small amounts? I see the Maingau card might make things a bit cheaper, but then I see some people saying it’s not that useful (or not any more)?

Cheers

forget about Ionity (or any DC fast charger) as it's CCS whereas your Volvo is Type 2 only

just use eCars AC22's @ about €0.26 per kWh

the max you can pull is 3.7kW with your onboard AC charger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I have a question.

Cheers

You can't use Ionity as it's CCS only, your Volvo is Type 2 Mennekes so you can only use AC Charging

I wouldn't even bother with the Zappi for the house, The XC90 T8 only charges at max 3.7kW, the Zappi will only be a tiny bit faster than the normal wall charger.

Can you still cancel the order for the Zappi ? Would be a terrible waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gforcemurphy

Thanks, I still need to get my head around all the charging options.

The thinking behind the Zappi was (1) I have solar panels and want to get some dedicated use from them, and (2) I am conscious that our next car will almost certainly be fully electric, so I was buying with the future in mind, and didn’t want to ‘just’ buy for the PHEV.

Anyway, none of these chargers are cheap, right? (Granted, Zappi seems a bit pricier.)
    redcup342 wrote: »
    You can't use Ionity as
    it's CCS only, your Volvo is Type 2 Mennekes so you can only use AC Charging

I wouldn't even bother with the Zappi for the house, The XC90 T8 only charges at max 3.7kW, the Zappi will only be a tiny bit faster than the normal wall charger.

Can you still cancel the order for the Zappi ? Would be a terrible waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I only get about 10A from a granny charger and my house only gives out about 220V, so 3.7 is still 70% faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Thanks, I still need to get my head around all the charging options.

The thinking behind the Zappi was (1) I have solar panels and want to get some dedicated use from them, and (2) I am conscious that our next car will almost certainly be fully electric, so I was buying with the future in mind, and didn’t want to ‘just’ buy for the PHEV.

Anyway, none of these chargers are cheap, right? (Granted, Zappi seems a bit pricier.)

You'd probably be better off waiting until you get a BEV to get the install done, might be a new product on the market by then.

Have a look on http://www.chargemap.com

Set your filter to:
    Type 2
    Type 2 (cable attached)
    British plug

You can use all of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You'd probably be better off waiting until you get a BEV to get the install done, might be a new product on the market by then.

Have a look on http://www.chargemap.com

Set your filter to:
    Type 2
    Type 2 (cable attached)
    British plug

You can use all of those.

I'd disagree.... he has a PHEV and Solar, the Zappi will give him several benefits over running an extension lead and a granny cable... and more importantly by the time he gets a BEV the grant might be gone and/or the price of the Zappi gone up.

Draw the grant now while the going is good. Its not wasted money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Hyundai joins Ionity as a shareholder;

https://ionity.eu/en/news-and-media.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BigAl81

mp3guy wrote:
    Hyundai joins Ionity as a shareholder;

Cool, so special pricing coming soon for Hyundai drivers then!??

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Has anyone successfully charged at ionity cashed using we charge card from vw?
    I had to charge on esb charge as the we charge card would beep but wouldn’t unlock the charger last Saturday. Same with all 4 chargers. After a few calls to ionity I convinced them to reboot the 1st charger but even after that I couldn’t start the charge. The screen was unlocked ( they had an abb screensaver) and directed me to plug in the cable. I didn’t but the ready to charge button would work. Swiped the card, it beeped but nothing happened. Agent said that the problem lies with card. Funny enough used the same card on 2 esb 50kW charges and at ionity in kill afterwards with any drama. I have also tried to call we charge customer service using the number on the card but despite the claim that they are 24/7 I only got a call back this afternoon. Long story short - they are only there to process your complaints, they can’t help you with any immediate problems with charging. They wanted a picture of the station, I gave them the number from ionity app and they said they’ll investigate. Ionity were blaming we charge, we charge is blaming ionity. Btw ionity solution was to pay with credit card at 73c/kWh which I didn’t want to do as I have a free credit with we charge. Agent said that we charge doesn’t qualify for remote activation. So I wouldn’t rely solely on ionity with we charge card...

PS I think I lost my wallet at the ionity kill north around 7pm on 5.12. Nothing has been handed over to the petrol station but if some found it between 7pm on 5.12 an 6.30 pm on the 6.12, ping me pls.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Did you plug the car in first, or swipe the card/fob first?

There's a timeout if you plug the cable in but don't initiate the charge quickly. Could also be a failed handshake between the car and unit.

1. Make sure the socket is shoved into the car good and proper - even hold if until charging starts
    2. Don't hang about, plug in, swipe the card

Did you plug the car in first, or swipe the card/fob first?

There's a timeout if you plug the cable in but don't initiate the charge quickly. Could also be a failed handshake between the car and unit.

1. Make sure the socket is shoved into the car good and proper - even hold if until charging starts
    2. Don't hang about, plug in, swipe the card

Did both, neither worked. After reboot the instructions appeared on the screen. Plug-in swiped nothing happened, charging button wouldn’t work. This was all done while on the phone to customer support. The stations in kill had different screens with instructions displayed. In cashel they had ABB screensavers. No instructions until you unlock the charger. No instructions on the unit themselves unlike on triplehead esb chargers.

You have to a) ignore the onscreen instructions and b) hold the cable during the handshake if it doesnt work the first time (essentially nosing in the type 2 part of the CCS connector to ensure good grounding and connection)

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    You have to a) ignore the onscreen instructions and b) hold the cable during the handshake if it doesnt work the first time (essentially nosing in the type 2 part of the CCS connector to ensure good grounding and connection)

Never got the handshake part. Tbh in Kill it worked fine, in Cashel it didn’t work at all.

back in the day, when easygo provided free Ionity use, the fob would work on perhaps 1 of every 4 attempts. I had particular issues in Cashel. Now, when it's nefariously free, you have no one to complain to! But the issue sounds similar. perhaps there is poor connectivity there or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I have been to Gorey probably ten times now, have yet to meet anyone else at Ionity. The odd EV at the ECars charger. The county lock down probably partly the reason, but the services was busy enough today at lunch time.

ELM327 wrote: »
    back in the day, when easygo provided free Ionity use, the fob would work on perhaps 1 of every 4 attempts. I had particular issues in Cashel. Now, when it's nefariously free, you have no one to complain to! But the issue sounds similar. perhaps there is poor connectivity there or something

Well, I’m going to wait for the outcome of the we charge “investigation”��

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

eagerv wrote: »
    I have been to Gorey probably ten times now, have yet to meet anyone else at Ionity. The odd EV at the ECars charger. The county lock down probably partly the reason, but the services was busy enough today at lunch time.

I was at Cashel and Gorey over the summer. 2 cars (including mine) at Cashel and 3 (including mine) at Gorey.

The pricing might be nuts but the current circumstances mean that it's impossible to gauge the level of use they would normally get. Filing stations will always be busy because people always need fossil fuels, even if they're in lockdown. EV stations like Ionity will only be busy when there lots of intercity travel going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Has anyone successfully charged at ionity cashed using we charge card from vw?.

I have but it was over a month ago now.

Has anyone successfully charged at ionity cashed using we charge card from vw?

Might be calling by in next week or so, will report back.

Btw, hope you find your wallet, that would piss me off on top of everything else..

Was at Cashel today, my first time at the Ionity there.

Not the best Ionity I have been to:), busy at lunch time. It was ICEd by 3 cars when I was there, one left just before the Model 3 pulled in.

Smxohxf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

eagerv wrote: »
    Was at Cashel today.........
    Not the best Ionity I have been to.....It was ICEd by 3 cars when I was there

I'd be there often enough & it often/usually has ICE drivers on a couple of the spaces.
    No deterrent = people don't care.

The eCars triple is often blocked too.

Advertisement