Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IONITY - charging / fees / tips

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ELM327 wrote: »
    I do that at cashel too.
    Go for the ESB one and if that's taken then head to Ionity.

Ditto, though if my car was capable of faster speeds, and I needed the extra range in the pitstop time I had, id go ionity.

It's so rare I use them, the price isn't a concern.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I have an excel sheet for working out the cost of subscription charges, must see if I can put it online

In general it takes over 1000km of Ionity charging for these plans to make sense, so they're not much use to a lot of people but for folks who regularly travel long distance they do represent a big saving

Nice calculator, playing around with it, around 1900km is when it breaks even on the Free/Plus, and then 2150km for the Go/Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

liamog wrote: »
    Nice calculator, playing around with it, around 1900km is when it breaks even on the Free/Plus, and then 2150km for the Go/Plus.

Yeah the other thing I noticed is that the ECars paid plan is totally worthless, takes over 6,500km to pay for itself :eek:

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Yeah the other thing I noticed is that the ECars paid plan is totally worthless, takes over 6,500km to pay for itself :eek:

I assume it's really only intended for those who can't home/office charge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

I assume it's really only intended for those who can't home/office charge
    An even then is not a big deal. I charged 2.86MW last year on ecars. @3.8c difference membership vs PAYG I "saved" less than a fiver per month. Not even a hot chocolate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

innrain wrote: »
    An even then is not a big deal. I charged 2.86MW last year on ecars. @3.8c difference membership vs PAYG I "saved" less than a fiver per month. Not even a hot chocolate.
    `So you spent €825 odd on fast charging?

I have no idea how much I fast charged last year on ecars but I didnt pay anything for it thanks to plugsurfing (loophole now closed afaik)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ELM327 wrote: »
    If the gtipping point is 36kWh a month then I'd have the sub for sure.
    Ionity are very well placed across the country and fill some gaps not covered by Superchargers

Unfortunately due to covid I dont have my usual travel profile since Q2 last year, and also the option of a sub is not open to me as a tesla owner.

When I had (nefarious) free Ionity use for a few months I used it a lot!

Free SUC is wasted on you.
    It's a pity you can't sell that privilege as I believe you'd get a lot of money for it - a lot more than you'd save by using it. As a pragmatic person I think you'd go for that if you could.

"Free" Supercharging was also an optional add on in the early days in Europe, cost was €1,400

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

slave1 wrote: »
    "Free" Supercharging was also an optional add on in the early days in Europe, cost was €1,400

That's 14.99 a month for the first 8 years, at least it was unlimited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭wassie

Just an update to anyone using the third party MVV Energy (web) app for Ionity charging.

Charging is only billed/invoiced at the end of the month and direct debited in the middle of following month.

i.e. top-ups made in January 2021 will be debited from your bank account on February 15, 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Is MVV solely app based, or do they send a card like Maingau did? I have a Maingau card though never used it or Ionity.

• Advertisement

Is MVV solely app based, or do they send a card like Maingau did? I have a Maingau card though never used it or Ionity.

Considering they don't even have an app, I'd assume they have a card/fob

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭wassie

The do have an app - but its in German. The webapp is in English. I couldnt find any option for card or key fob - and the web app was very limited (its based on the Chargecloud emobility system).

Ive found it very easy to use however. I set up a shortcut to the webapp as @innrain suggested. I then saved those chargers I potentially use as favourites and set the webapp to open on favourites. This means I can be charging in about three clicks. When I stop charging (via my car), no further action is required on the webapp.

The fact I am charged once a month suits my circumstances, but may not suit others.

wassie wrote: »
    The do have an app - but its in German

You need to get in touch with your inner schweinehund :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

You need to get in touch with your inner schweinehund :D

Delighted to meet someone else who learned their German exclusively from Warlord comics :)

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=schweinhund

A bit of Donner und Blitzen, Dumpkopf and Schnell! to round it all off.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Mvv emotion or Chargecloud as discussed here a few weeks ago as a 45c ionity option is now 79c 😭

WattsUp wrote: »
    Mvv emotion or Chargecloud as discussed here a few weeks ago as a 45c ionity option is now 79c ��

so a waste of time then for anyone that signed up...

Mvv emotion or Chargecloud as discussed here a few weeks ago as a 45c ionity option is now 79c ��

I put in far too much effort registering with them for absolutely nothing. Chargepoint still the cheapest so, at 64c/kWh

Options i've seen (based on a 10 minute stop pulling 100kW average (16kWh consumed) - any time based charges very much favour high speed charging)
    chargepoint
    €10.24

freshmile
    https://ev-charge.freshmile.com/
    0.19 € / kWh and 0.71 € / minute
    €10.14

goelectricstations
    https://goelectricstations.com/
    0.12 € / kWh and 0.69 € / minute
    €8.82

so a waste of time then for anyone that signed up...

Sorry to hear that. It seems that more and more clones of these apear but they are not long lived. As we don't drive too much is quite useless but for those who needs it this week's app is rodau https://www.ev-rodau.de/Navigation/E-Mobilitaet/

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bixler3

Sorry to hear that. It seems that more and more clones of these apear but they are not long lived. As we don't drive too much is quite useless but for those who needs it this week's app is rodau https://www.ev-rodau.de/Navigation/E-Mobilitaet/

What are their charges thanks?

From what I can see they have perhaps rates per hour, but regardless the app shows nothing in Ireland.

Nevermind. Think it's 49c/kWh. I'll check the right app now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.chargecloud.evrodau
    49.99 cent / kWh. Map didn't show any units but when I was around cashel and looked at the list view i could see ionity.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that.

No need to be sorry at all as I didn't sign up!!

I've only ever signed up to Maingau, I have an account and a card, but never used it or gave them my bank/cc details...

Are we in a situation where there are providers that offer use of Ionity at good rates (for zee Germans), and then as soon as they realise us Paddy's are signing up on the German sites, the price gets jacked up to Paddy price??

I think theres a lot of German providers that offer rates for Ionity for customers of those (eg have your domestic electricity with us, we'll give you a discount).

From what I can see they have perhaps rates per hour, but regardless the app shows nothing in Ireland.

Nevermind. Think it's 49c/kWh. I'll check the right app now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.chargecloud.evrodau
    49.99 cent / kWh. Map didn't show any units but when I was around cashel and looked at the list view i could see ionity.

I see Ionity stations like Athlone and Kill on here for 49c. However when I try to register it said registration failed but did not say "why" it failed. Has anybody managed to sign up for this service ?

I see Ionity stations like Athlone and Kill on here for 49c. However when I try to register it said registration failed but did not say "why" it failed. Has anybody managed to sign up for this service ?

I have. Things that caught me out were:
    eircode. Use the format XXX XXXX.
    House number. Use a value greater than 0
    Phone number. I just set zeros until the warning went away

Don't translate the page or don't use chrome (it auto translates) as that can affect registration validation.

No need to be sorry at all as I didn't sign up!!

I've only ever signed up to Maingau, I have an account and a card, but never used it or gave them my bank/cc details...

Are we in a situation where there are providers that offer use of Ionity at good rates (for zee Germans), and then as soon as they realise us Paddy's are signing up on the German sites, the price gets jacked up to Paddy price??
    I'm sorry to hear that they've increased the price :) and I got no chance to use them.

This one seems backed by maingau. I had a look through their website and I really liked the car sharing scheme 99c/h to rent a car is a nice price. And they even have ID3s. Cheap enough drive test.

I have. Things that caught me out were:
    eircode. Use the format XXX XXXX.
    House number. Use a value greater than 0
    Phone number. I just set zeros until the warning went away

Don't translate the page or don't use chrome (it auto translates) as that can affect registration validation.

Thanks got it. Using caps and the space between the 3 and 4 digits of Eircode was the problem. I used the app, is there a website also?

Thanks got it. Using caps and the space between the 3 and 4 digits of Eircode was the problem. I used the app, is there a website also?

Sorry, it is the app I used (though the app just renders a web browser for registration).

and use Revolut IBAN for piece of mind as loopymum suggested. (delete spaces between groups of digits).

We've perfected this to an art :D It took me 45s to register. :)

Interesting article about Ionity looking for investors:
    https://www.electrive.com/2021/01/21/ionity-struggles-with-charging-network-expansion/

It looks like all may not be well in our favourite joint venture, BMW and VW seem to feel the network is being held back due to lack of investment. They're currently lagging behind their 2021 target by 100 charging sites

There's some interesting tidbits there around Ionity's ownership

It seem all of the group members have put in €200 million, so it looks like it's an equal partnership and if they want to invest more then all the members presumably have to agree. I'm guessing some of them are reluctant to invest further hence the argument and the hope for more investors

VW make an interesting comparison between Ionity and Electrify America which is currently doing fairly well (thanks to the US courts system). It's looking like VW might try going it alone if Ionity doesn't pan out, Audi and Porsche are already doing something similar

I could see this going 3 ways:

1. VW and possibly BMW ditch Ionity and do their own thing
    2. VW (or someone else) buys Ionity from the rest of the owners, it's not exactly a fortune to a company like VW. The other companies could then pay some sort of fixed price and get a discount on charging for their cars
    3. VW & BMW go and make their own networks but also keep on as partners in Ionity to try and cover their bets and possibly look to sell Ionity or spin it out as a separate venture later

Anyways, interesting times ahead...

• Advertisement

Yet another reason why Tesla is so far ahead with the SuC network. None of this messing.

Electrify America network in the US is crap. Great coverage compared to anything else for sure, but every video I watch on youtube of non Tesla EVs in the Us, they have to try 2+ stations every stop before getting a charge.

Ionity at least always work.

Advertisement