Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IONITY - charging / fees / tips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

ELM327 wrote: »
    €€€€€€€€€

Steady on, a Tesla is only €€€€€€ at most!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Gosh there's a lot of hate for Ionity today, what's the deal?

They took 39 million Euros of our money through EU Funds to build their network and then charge more than anyone else for juice.

No skin of my nose anyway, I just don't use Ionity :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Got failures on the Maingau card yesterday at Gorey, and today on the Maingau app at Kill:

image.png

Switched to using the Ionity app.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

redcup342 wrote: »
    They took 39 million Euros of our money through EU Funds to build their network and then charge more than anyone else for juice.

No skin of my nose anyway, I just don't use Ionity :pac:

At under 10c per EU citizen that's probably one of the best returns on investment on the history of public spending

As for the price of juice, well if you want to see what a cheap network buys you then just pop over to the ESB chargers

I agree though, it is pricey, so only use it as much as you need. If there was a petrol station charging 10x everywhere else for diesel then you'd only fill up enough to get to the next one

It also stops people hogging the chargers :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

For the record, I will have absolutely no hesitation in using Ionity to get myself to or from any trip I'm taking in an EV.

If I can avoid it however, I will, but make no mistake, if I pulled into Cashel on Thursday needing a boost to make it to Ballacolla, and someone was using the eCars DC unit, I'd be over to Ionity in a flash. Using the cheaper eCars unit (if available) might cost me a few more minutes, but that's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

For the record, I will have absolutely no hesitation in using Ionity to get myself to or from any trip I'm taking in an EV.

If I can avoid it however, I will, but make no mistake, if I pulled into Cashel on Thursday needing a boost to make it to Ballacolla, and someone was using the eCars DC unit, I'd be over to Ionity in a flash. Using the cheaper eCars unit (if available) might cost me a few more minutes, but that's fine.

Ditto. I throw a glance down at the ESB unit coming in on the cashel slipway, and if it's busy I continue on to Ionity. 79c is saucy, but i'll make do with 64c/kWh @ ~67kW. If my car could take faster speeds i'd be happier to pay the 64c premium. 79c would still be saucy.
    Though if/when I have a car that can take faster charging speeds (100kW+) i'll likely have plenty of range so i'll not need to use ionity. I don't like their high prices, but I use them so infrequently it doesn't bother me.

Ditto. I throw a glance down at the ESB unit coming in on the cashel slipway, and if it's busy I continue on to Ionity. 79c is saucy, but i'll make do with 64c/kWh @ ~67kW. If my car could take faster speeds i'd be happier to pay the 64c premium. 79c would still be saucy.
    Though if/when I have a car that can take faster charging speeds (100kW+) i'll likely have plenty of range so i'll not need to use ionity. I don't like their high prices, but I use them so infrequently it doesn't bother me.

With the Leaf all I can do at Ionity chargers is glare at them :D

When I've got the ID.4, if I'm doing a Dublin to Cork and back without destination charging, I'd probably use the Ionity chargers regardless (even if I was paying the €0.79 instead of €0.55 per kWh). It's either ~30 mins total charging on Ionity or nearly 90 mins on ESB :eek:

It's actually so much slower that even if I tell ABRP to charge at the ESB chargers, it ignores me and tries to use the Ionity ones instead :)

I'll admit, if I was doing that every day and paying the full price I'd be annoyed. I'd definitely be looking into getting a discount rate, even if it meant a monthly subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

With the Leaf all I can do at Ionity chargers is glare at them :D

When I've got the ID.4, if I'm doing a Dublin to Cork and back without destination charging, I'd probably use the Ionity chargers regardless (even if I was paying the €0.79 instead of €0.55 per kWh). It's either ~30 mins total charging on Ionity or nearly 90 mins on ESB :eek:

It's actually so much slower that even if I tell ABRP to charge at the ESB chargers, it ignores me and tries to use the Ionity ones instead :)

I'll admit, if I was doing that every day and paying the full price I'd be annoyed. I'd definitely be looking into getting a discount rate, even if it meant a monthly subscription

and thats the thing, for most of us ionity is at most once a month, in most cases less than that, so the high cost in the overall scheme of things is offset by the cheap charging at home and speed and convenience.

Cyrus wrote: »
    and thats the thing, for most of us ionity is at most once a month, in most cases less than that, so the high cost in the overall scheme of things is offset by the cheap charging at home and speed and convenience.

I guess the main annoyance is that, while VW owners can avail of a subscription and get a hefty discount which works out if you're doing around 2000km worth of DC charging, other owners cannot

I'm sure there'd be no issues with Ionity prices if there was a subscription option open to everyone

Same goes for Superchargers, if I was allowed use for an ID.4 them I'd happily pay 79c per kWh for the occassional charge. If I was using them more often and there was a subscription option open then I'd probably go for it if it saved me money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Haven't been traveling much apart from my usual commute to work.
    Hoping to do my usual visit northern relatives drive in the near future.
    So would someone in the know let me know the new options for Ionnity?
    I had a maingau card and never used it due to C-19. Pretty sure they banged up their prices last year.
    Driving a BMWi3 or a KIA soul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bixler3

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Haven't been traveling much apart from my usual commute to work.
    Hoping to do my usual visit northern relatives drive in the near future.
    So would someone in the know let me know the new options for Ionnity?
    I had a maingau card and never used it due to C-19. Pretty sure they banged up their prices last year.
    Driving a BMWi3 or a KIA soul.

Maingau is now 79c per kWH
    You can use your easygo fob too but it is also 79c.

From what I can see they have perhaps rates per hour, but regardless the app shows nothing in Ireland.

Nevermind. Think it's 49c/kWh. I'll check the right app now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.chargecloud.evrodau
    49.99 cent / kWh. Map didn't show any units but when I was around cashel and looked at the list view i could see ionity.

Cheapest here. 49.99c/kWh. Just checked now. Go back around 3 weeks on this thread you'll find the chat, and some guidance on signing up

I noticed today that ionity chargers have disappeared from my ABRP app, they're not showing up on the map or in route planning

Is anyone else have the same issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Just had a look and they're missing for me too.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Just had a look and they're missing for me too.

I think ABRP gets most of it's charging station info from goingelectric.de and ionity is showing up there. Must be something wrong in ABRP servers

Ionity is still selectable in the filter, but just not showing up on any routes...

Ionity is still selectable in the filter, but just not showing up on any routes...

They're back now, we're no longer at the mercy of ESB for route planning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Interesting price comparison site. Ionity is available on a lot of the cards.

So is ESB. :)

Interesting price comparison site. Ionity is available on a lot of the cards.

So is ESB. :)

Is there a site to go along with that site you're talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Is there a site to go along with that site you're talking about

You mean you aren't a mind reader? OK then I suppose I'm going to have to tell you :D:D

https://topladekarten.de/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭wassie

Interesting site to see all the providers - and there is a hell of a lot of providers, including manufacturers. Wasn't able to get much more info after that. Whilst you can filter by network provider, it doesn't provide individual costs, only monthly costs.

The 'monthly cost' of providers (according to FAQ) is based on a test scheme that includes 10 charging processes of 20kWh at various charging stations in Germany. (That corresponds to about 1000KM per month) - useful for creating rankings but how applicable to the individual user I'm not sure.

Just serves to highlight how confusing the world of EV charging is for the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

wassie wrote: »
    Just serves to highlight how confusing the world of EV charging is for the consumer cheapskate.

Fixed that for you ;)

wassie wrote: »
    Interesting site to see all the providers - and there is a hell of a lot of providers, including manufacturers. Wasn't able to get much more info after that. Whilst you can filter by network provider, it doesn't provide individual costs, only monthly costs.

The 'monthly cost' of providers (according to FAQ) is based on a test scheme that includes 10 charging processes of 20kWh at various charging stations in Germany. (That corresponds to about 1000KM per month) - useful for creating rankings but how applicable to the individual user I'm not sure.

Just serves to highlight how confusing the world of EV charging is for the consumer.

I suspect it'll quiet down after a few years once charging networks becaome fairly ubiqiotous, but yes there's an awful lot of them at the moment

The good/bad news is that outside of Ionity they're all basically useless in Ireland because we only have ESB and they don't give discounts to other providers

You mean you aren't a mind reader? OK then I suppose I'm going to have to tell you :D:D

https://topladekarten.de/

Ah yes. Came across that one a few months back, used it to get all the best Ionity rates, then someone found EVRODAU for 49.99c/kWh

^^ Are the Ionity’s really 350kW though?

Still not bad though for the Dublin - Galway route....

peposhi wrote: »
    Where are the 4x350kW located, slave1?

Ionity Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ionity Athlone
    Irish Ionity sites are 175kW peak.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Irish Ionity sites are 175kW peak.

Software limited isn't it? Technically capable of delivering 350kW if the supply is there, though i'd wonder would they need liquid cooling of the cable at those rates (and whether the current units can provide that).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Is it true for the 800V packs? My understanding is that the reason to go to 800V is to double the speed for the same current.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, the supply and cabling is not there for 350kW
    EDIT: I think the newer sites (like on the N7) may have the proper supply, but the earlier ones have the older units and do not.

Advertisement