Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IONITY - charging / fees / tips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Has gone to 500a, seen video evidence of multiple TM3

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

1st of may we lose our cheapest ionity service provider.
    Evrodau app

49.99c -> 84,99 ct./kWh

Think charge point is back to the best value now at 64c/kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

1st of may we lose our cheapest ionity service provider.
    Evrodau app

49.99c -> 84,99 ct./kWh

Think charge point is back to the best value now at 64c/kWh

Yes, got that mail too....Used it recently at 49.99. Back to chargepoint now

Badly need more superchargers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ionity pricing really is pure disincentive in nature, they clearly do not want folk using them when they price so far above ecars and Tesla.
    If they halved their pricing I'm sure they would be way more profitable, especially as they have proper hubs

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »
    Ionity pricing really is pure disincentive in nature, they clearly do not want folk using them when they price so far above ecars and Tesla.
    If they halved their pricing I'm sure they would be way more profitable, especially as they have proper hubs

I'm sure if Tesla opened up to other cars at 79c/kWh then it'd be viewed as a fair price for other car owners to pay for the network expansion

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm sure if Tesla opened up to other cars at 79c/kWh then it'd be viewed as a fair price for other car owners to pay for the network expansion

I'll even let them charge 99c/kWh because they weren't 20% funded by the EU :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Can you rock up to an Ionity charger and pay with apple pay or debit card?

No. You must use either the Ionity app or an MSP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

No, I think only a few companies in Europe do that and none in Ireland

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

No, I think only a few companies in Europe do that and none in Ireland
    Easygo now offer it on some FCP but it is at a premium

IMO it should be everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

ELM327 wrote: »
    IMO it should be everywhere.

One of the few areas that I agree with the British Government on, if a vending machine can have a card reader, then a EV charger mandated NFC payment should be possible

Agreed, with NFC now up to €50 we should be able to rock up, hook up and tap away

This is where Tesla nailed it, rock up and hook up, end of

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Yep, with all 3 sites on the island of Ireland - it's bliss :pac:.

Ahem, four :P

Kramer wrote: »
    Yep, with all 3 sites on the island of Ireland - it's bliss :pac:.
    4 with another in development and 2 others close to it.

4 with another in development and 2 others close to it.

giphy.gif

:D.

Case
    when supercharger_site_status in 'online' then 0
    else 'coming soon in' || (extract year from current_date)
    end as LTS_Status

Edit: I'm interviewing for a junior data scientist and challenger model dev at the moment, if anyone answered one of the tech questions like that I'd hire them on the spot!!

Case
    end as LTS_Status

Edit: I'm interviewing for a junior data scientist and challenger model dev at the moment, if anyone answered one of the tech questions like that I'd hire them on the spot!!

The answer is 7.

Am I hired? :p.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Case
    end as LTS_Status

Dunno. Mixing snake case and camel case. I don't think it's going to work out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Agreed, with NFC now up to €50 we should be able to rock up, hook up and tap away

Problem with direct payment is that due to the nature of charging being relatively unreliable, multiple attempts can cause holds on accounts

Tesla experience is amazing in comparison, type in a destination and it tells you where to stop to Charge up, when to leave and so on.

Any other DC Charging experience is a shít show in comparison.

Out in the rain trying to get your card to work, then you try the app. That doesn't work so you try a different card, then ring the provider to reset the charger.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

redcup342 wrote: »
    Problem with direct payment is that due to the nature of charging being relatively unreliable, multiple attempts can cause holds on accounts

That could be overcome with a little effort. There should be no need to take a second hold if the same account is trying to charge at the same location in a short timeframe.

Also, Tesla seem happy to take a credit risk and only collect funds when the charge has ended. I wonder why Ionity and others won’t take the same approach? It could be because Tesla can tie the charge to a vehicle and you’ll probably need something from a service centre at some stage but it still boils down to laziness. Ionity don’t seem to want to interact with customers directly for some reason so there’s no incentive for them to improve the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

redcup342 wrote: »
    Out in the rain trying to get your card to work, then you try the app. That doesn't work so you try a different card, then ring the provider to reset the charger.:pac:

This is exactly what happened my on a trip to Cork a few weeks ago and needed to DC charge in the wild...

Used Tesla twice and eCars twice...

2nd eCars charge was exactas you mentioned above, and in all I lost 10 minutes faffing about before getting a charge started.... en route to the 2 eCars chargers I was sh1tting it that they’d be busy..... - in summary a pain in the hole.

Meanwhile both times I used the Tesla supercharger, I didn’t even give it a second thought.

Ionity have at least mitigated against the ‘will it be busy’ scenario, but you’re still faffing about with cards or apps...

I’ve used all the Tesla hubs in Ireland and a good few in Scotland last year and never an issue, the peace of mind compared to eCars is on a different planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

What's the title of this thread again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Ionity have at least mitigated against the ‘will it be busy’ scenario, but you’re still faffing about with cards or apps...

Looks like that will be changing (thankfully!)

"Plug&Charge is currently being rolled out across our network. Simply drive up, plug in, charge up, and drive away."
    https://www.facebook.com/ionity.eu/photos/a.330258807498717/1055837208274203
    https://blog.ionity.eu/#/

ethernet wrote: »
    "Plug&Charge is currently being rolled out across our network. Simply drive up, plug in, charge up, and drive away."

Here's hoping the infrastructure for third party memberships is in place soon enough. The Tesla owners are going to be really upset when Ionity Plug&Charge is only available to the Ionity member companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

liamog wrote: »
    Here's hoping the infrastructure for third party memberships is in place soon enough. The Tesla owners are going to be really upset when Ionity Plug&Charge is only available to the Ionity member companies.

Do we know which cars supports the P&C protocol and security infrastructure? Is there a risk it’ll be limited to recently designed cars like ID.3/4 and Mustang?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

markpb wrote: »
    Do we know which cars supports the P&C protocol
    From the Ionity blog post:
    While the Porsche Taycan, for example, has Plug&Charge capabilities, most existing models have not.
    Must rush out and buy meself a Taycan ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

liamog wrote: »

The Tesla owners probably won’t care as the few remaining superchargers should be installed in the next few years, negating any need for them to ever use Ionity....

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    Do we know which cars supports the P&C protocol and security infrastructure? Is there a risk it’ll be limited to recently designed cars like ID.3/4 and Mustang?

It's a good question, the full ISO Plug&Charge spec will likely only be supported by newer cars. I can't imagine older CCS being updated to support it.

In theory there is a feature rolled out by Fastned and a few other operators called Autocharge. It's more basic, but it allows the cars MAC address to be registered and used to identify the account to charge the car too.

Think of Plug&Charge like a sim card (with an account) in a roaming phone, whereas Autocharge uses the car ID as an identifier that the charger operator must connect to an account at the backend.

Advertisement