Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IONITY - charging / fees / tips

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

This thread is to discuss the tips & tricks for using the Ionity network.
    If you want to start a new thread regarding general rapid charging in Ireland feel free, but we don't need to go through the same rehashed Ionity complaints on this thread that you made 7 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

liamog wrote: »
    This thread is to discuss the tips & tricks for using the Ionity network.
    If you want to start a new thread regarding general rapid charging in Ireland feel free, but we don't need to go through the same rehashed Ionity complaints on this thread that you made 7 months ago.

Ya but you pay more because you have no competition, tarrif for ID3 drivers here (Germany) is 10 euros a month + 30cent/kWh

that's my point, you are getting creamed because you have no competition.

And a tenner a month locked into a network you barely use here is still quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

No 1 tip, Don't use Ionity if the sole ecars charger is available.

<snip: inappropriate> No 2, prepare to pay over twice as much as ecars or tesla .

No 3, If the first charger is not working, disconnect and move on to the next and the next, one should work eventually.

No 4, If iced buy a phev next time.

Just something I have noticed from this thread and the New charger locations thread, is that I never planned a trip or looked before hand to see if a charger is around a location that I am traveling to, only time I look is if, I am going to be waiting or going to eat something.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

redcup342 wrote: »
    Ya but you pay more because you have no competition, tarrif for ID3 drivers here (Germany) is 10 euros a month + 30cent/kWh

Again, this tariff has absolutely nothing to do with the Irish market other than it being available to use in Ireland.

The VW ID plans have their own rates, which are available to ID owners. This is simply another option available to Irish drivers.
    VW specific plans would be more relevant to one of the ID threads.

The ID.4 thread already has a discussion on why Irish VW customers seem to get less for their money.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Just something I have noticed from this thread and the New charger locations thread, is that I never planned a trip or looked before hand to see if a charger is around a location that I am traveling to, only time I look is if, I am going to be waiting or going to eat something.

I think that's more a system of the early (pre 2017) drivers where you really did have to worry about hitting a charger because there wasn't a second in range. These days I prefer to target the Ionity chargers on a route, yes there is a premium, but there's also multiple units with low use, so I have a reasonable expectation that there will be at least one free when I arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

WattsUp wrote: »
    I had successfully used the EV Rodau app a few times to get Ionity for 49c. It is due to go up to 79c at beginning of May any but it's now stopped working for UK and Ireland chargers for me. Think it happened after an app update.

If you have EV Rodau working I'd advise you not to take an app update, you'll not likely to be using it after 1st May anyway

If you're getting this error "es trat ein fehler beim laden der standortdaten auf" which google translates says it means "an error occurred while loading the location data" change the tab from Map to list and you'll be able to see the stations

550709.png

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

liamog wrote: »
    These days I prefer to target the Ionity chargers on a route, yes there is a premium, but there's also multiple units with low use, so I have a reasonable expectation that there will be at least one free when I arrive.

I drove through approx 10 countries / 6500kms with the e-Niro (not recently...) and I always targeted Ionity. You could even charge around the Mont Blanc without any hassle. I only had to charge maybe around 4 times on non-Ionity and it was always a pain in the bum. We need hubs, individual chargers are a risk in your plans and can cause a lot of stress far away from home. Ionity gives you at least 3 chargers in one spot, typically 4, sometimes 6. The biggest issue I had with them on the 6500kms was that I had to park to the next one because the 1st one dropped the charge. Resolved in 1 minute. I always got 74-77kW charge rate without an exception. (not always warm weather, but motorway driving) It was a very enjoyable trip, apart from the non-Ionity ones like Enel X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

xboxdad wrote: »
    I drove through approx 10 countries / 6500kms with the e-Niro (not recently...) and I always targeted Ionity. You could even charge around the Mont Blanc without any hassle. I only had to charge maybe around 4 times on non-Ionity and it was always a pain in the bum. We need hubs, individual chargers are a risk in your plans and can cause a lot of stress far away from home. Ionity gives you at least 3 chargers in one spot, typically 4, sometimes 6. The biggest issue I had with them on the 6500kms was that I had to park to the next one because the 1st one dropped the charge. Resolved in 1 minute. I always got 74-77kW charge rate without an exception. (not always warm weather, but motorway driving) It was a very enjoyable trip, apart from the non-Ionity ones like Enel X.

Roaming doesn't seem to work with Enel X so you need to use their App, I never had problems using them in Italy, South Tyrol has a good few freebie 50kW chargers so I went for those, used an Enel X DC Fast charger twice I think and mostly their AC loading points in the Cities.

You are right though, most of the Ionity stations are 4 or 6 CCS Stations. It's a bit soul destroying to roll into 4 occupied Ionity loaders when there are 20 Tesla SCs across the way.

Integration into Ionity Group cars Navigation system to tell you how many stations are occupied would be a nice addition.

Hubs on the motorway for sure, complete waste of time in the City though, no use case for it (loading time is too short to do anything else and too long to sit in the car)

redcup342 wrote: »
    Roaming doesn't seem to work with Enel X so you need to use their App

(...)

It's a bit soul destroying to roll into 4 occupied Ionity loaders when there are 20 Tesla SCs across the way.

The Enel app consistently refused to save my address. Some sort of validation issue in their UI code, not matter what I tried. I don't have a working registration with them to this day. Very dodgy/bad experience at the worst possible time. No other charging service had any issue with my address, ever.

I tried to register back in IRL and also on site in Italy in like 42'C with no other charger in proximity.
    It was pretty scary as I had approx 10-12 different universal charging cards on me and none of them worked either..
    ..but then the very last one Maingau activated the charger and it was a huge relief.
    That's the same card I kept using for charging on Ionity throughout the entire trip and I didn't know it also worked on Enel chargers. What a nice surprise after 10+ cards refused to do anything and my pulse was like 200 by the time I tried the Maingau card :)

Re: Ionity chargers occupied by Teslas, I didn't have that experience on the 6500kms thankfully. I had ICEing going on at some chargers in Germany, but it was like 2 chargers ICEd out of the 6, so it was still a very good/safe experience.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Did chargepoint increase their pricing too? Looks like 79c/kWh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Did chargepoint increase their pricing too? Looks like 79c/kWh

Looks like it as per the app…..

Found a replacement at 38c/kWh if anyone is near an Ionity station to try it out.

App: Lade TüStrom
    Website: https://www.swtue.de/e-mobilitaet/ladestationen-in-tuebingen.html
    Google Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.chargecloud.swtuebingen&hl=en&gl=US
    Apple App store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/lade-t%C3%BCstrom/id1436966482?ign-itsct=apps_box_badge&ign-itscg=30200

Registration was difficult but here's my tips:
    Filled in all details (except what I can only guess is some membership number)
    Set zip to 01234 (it needs to be 5 digits, and starting with 0)
    Set country to Deutschland (not sure if that's required, I tried Ireland but that was with an Irish Eircode so that could of been the reason for failure)

Ionity Cashel shows up, and once logged in it states 38c/kWh

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Found a replacement at 38c/kWh if anyone is near an Ionity station to try it out.

App: Lade TüStrom
    Website: https://www.swtue.de/e-mobilitaet/ladestationen-in-tuebingen.html
    Google Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.chargecloud.swtuebingen&hl=en&gl=US
    Apple App store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/lade-t%C3%BCstrom/id1436966482?ign-itsct=apps_box_badge&ign-itscg=30200

Registration was difficult but here's my tips:
    Filled in all details (except what I can only guess is some membership number)
    Set zip to 01234 (it needs to be 5 digits, and starting with 0)
    Set country to Deutschland (not sure if that's required, I tried Ireland but that was with an Irish Eircode so that could of been the reason for failure)

Ionity Cashel shows up, and once logged in it states 38c/kWh

image.png

Cheers. Signed up but when I try to open any station it just says “there was an error loading the location data”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No doubt, like all the others, it will be 38c for a few weeks while they get as many people as possible to sign up and then the price will go up and you'll have another useless charging app to fill up your phone! :)

KCross wrote: »
    No doubt, like all the others, it will be 38c for a few weeks while they get as many people as possible to sign up and then the price will go up and you'll have another useless charging app to fill up your phone! :)

I hear you can uninstall those apps too!

I've signed up, but sure I've 400+km range, what do I need ionity for!?

At 38c though, I might swing that way by the Athlone ionity units.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Chargepoint now at 79c for Ionity. Used to be 63c

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

ELM327 wrote: »
    Chargepoint now at 79c for Ionity. Used to be 63c

Mentioned above already ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Cheers. Signed up but when I try to open any station it just says “there was an error loading the location data”

When you open the app and go into Stations, select the "list" view instead of the "map" view. Then you will see the ones in Ireland. I could see Ionity Athlone for 38c/kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Ionity FTW :pac:.

xSsDBXF.jpg

Kramer wrote: »
    Ionity FTW :pac:.

xSsDBXF.jpg

Are you saying that was today, and that you were able to charge using the Lade TüStrom app?

• Advertisement

It werks!
    It actually charged 30.5c/kWh. Maybe vat will be added at invoice time, which appears to be monthly, like all previous German MSPs.

All good though, good spot Black_Knight.

Are you saying that was today, and that you were able to charge using the Lade TüStrom app?

Indeed :).

mESajDm.jpg

Trial run, proof of concept, dipping a toe in the water..........
    Fill yer boots!

It werks!
    It actually charged 30.5c/kWh. Maybe vat will be added at invoice time, which appears to be monthly, like all previous German MSPs.

All good though, good spot Black_Knight.

Handy. I'm assuming at the end of the month they'll charge you €10 and leave you with credit. That's how the last few have done it I think. Annoying system given how quickly rates change from being cheap to being crazyprices.

Handy. I'm assuming at the end of the month they'll charge you €10 and leave you with credit.

They can try :D.
    They accepted a virtual credit card as a payment method.......I'm pretty sure the others required either a direct debit/current account or debit card.

Then again, I'm not fluent in German, so I may well have consented to donating a kidney in the T&Cs, so who knows :pac:.

Then again, I'm not fluent in German, so I may well have consented to donating a kidney in the T&Cs, so who knows :pac:.

The T&Cs were pretty clear, you've signed up to be a cheerleader for Ionity. From now on whenever someone is charging you are expected to show up with poms poms gushing about how awesome they are :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

B/E @ 11.25 per month isn't too bad. That's a 44p per kWh discount so you'd need to be using > 28 kWh per month to feel the discount. Reasonable enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

ireland is mentioned in the country list: https://kiacharge.com/web/kia-gb/tariffs

prices are here https://kiacharge.com/o/dcs-api/customer/groupIds/3091601/tariffs/pdf?locale=en_GB

not sure I fully get it, I think it says 49c/kWh for the session fee (plug in cost iI guess)
    and kWh cost the IONITY Power package is (£11.25/m) its 27c/kWh

Advertisement