Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IONITY - charging / fees / tips

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

B/E @ 11.25 per month isn't too bad. That's a 44p per kWh discount so you'd need to be using > 28 kWh per month to feel the discount. Reasonable enough?

If you used Ionity once a month it'd be worth it, but that's vs ionitys 79c rate. I've only once paid ionity prices (€8 a charge) back when I was in my ioniq coming from IKEA at 11pm and some Leaf was using Cashel 50kW (of course they ended charge as I walked into the garage). Since then i've used Maingau @ 40c/kWh and ChargePoint @ 64c/kWh. Painfully, Chargepoint credit your account, so i've €8.54 balance with them and they're now 79c/kWh. As I mentioned 2 days ago, you can get ionity for 38c/kWh (for now).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

bambam wrote: »
    ireland is mentioned in the country list: https://kiacharge.com/web/kia-gb/tariffs

prices are here https://kiacharge.com/o/dcs-api/customer/groupIds/3091601/tariffs/pdf?locale=en_GB

not sure I fully get it, I think it says 49c/kWh for the session fee (plug in cost iI guess)
    and kWh cost the IONITY Power package is (£11.25/m) its 27c/kWh
    The plan is available if you're UK resident. It is also available for other countries Austria, Belgium, France Germany Italy Poland Spain and Sweden. Ireland is mentioned at charging abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Ionity shows up as 59c when I registered today on Lade TuStrom...

cannco253 wrote: »
    Ionity shows up as 59c when I registered today on Lade TuStrom...

Short lived cheap price. Same here. Better than the alternatives, and cheaper than chargepoint was.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

for £11.25 per month.....

Yeah, I'd only need it during the summer. ...but would still consider subscribing as last time I went on a road trip I drove 6500kms and used Ionity almost exclusively. I guess 12 * 11.25 GBP would still worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

xboxdad wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd only need it during the summer. ...but would still consider subscribing as last time I went on a road trip I drove 6500kms and used Ionity almost exclusively. I guess 12 * 11.25 GBP would still worth it.

One thing to watch out for is the 12 month contract, can't sign up for a road trip then cancel a month later

It'd be nice if they shortened the contract to 6 or 3 months even, could cover road trip and holiday season with that

Still, those plans play for themselves pretty quickly, so easy enough to justify the subscription of you're going to use it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

All 4 chargers ICE’d today in Cashel!

Saw several cars come and go and not bat an eyelid when parking there.

The screen on the 1st charger still not responding so couldn’t start a charge session on that one via the screen. Same last time I was there many months ago. Anyone get that left most charger to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

KCross wrote: »

How ignorant do you have to be!?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

KCross wrote: »

Maybe it's time to print & distribute stickers with a polite educational message on it.
    Two on the back bumper, two on the front bumper might do the trick.

I saw this in a motorcycling group - as cars often occupy motorcycle parking spaces.

xboxdad wrote: »
    Maybe it's time to print & distribute stickers with a polite educational message on it.
    Two on the back bumper, two on the front bumper might do the trick.

I saw this in a motorcycling group - as cars often occupy motorcycle parking spaces.

Knowing some drivers you could plaster the entire windscreen and they'd still not take heed. And they'd probably say you'd damaged their car by sticking stuff to it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

It happens at Tesla superchargers as well.
    https://insideevs.com/news/497446/tesla-superchargers-block-gas-cars-no-solution/

Some people have different ideas on what to do
    https://thedriven.io/2019/12/12/electric-car-drivers-block-petrol-station-to-highlight-iceing-problem/

IMHO fines and enforcement are the only way to sort the problem out. If somebody see a fixed penalty notice on their windscreen they will take more notice of it.
    https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/new-laws-against-parking-in-ev-charging-bays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

If the chargers were in use instead of gathering dust, there might be some chance.

You cannot depend on a charging network. There is no guarantee that a charger will work/available and queue free.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    If the chargers were in use instead of gathering dust, there might be some chance.

You cannot depend on a charging network. There is no guarantee that a charger will work/available and queue free.

Every charger around me was in use during the weekend, about the only thang gathering dust was the Type 2 plug on them :)

There was a fine queue at the Circle K near me as well, 18 pumps and they were still busy

If there was a hub with 18 chargers in Ireland you'd probably never be queuing

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Chargers are both available gathering dust, and have a queue?

My experience of the Ionity chargers is that they are generally available and the spaces clear, Cashel being the noticeable exception but that's mostly down to the general under provision of car parking spaces at the Cashel service station.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

liamog wrote: »

My experience of the Ionity chargers is that they are generally available and the spaces clear, Cashel being the noticeable exception but that's mostly down to the general under provision of car parking spaces at the Cashel service station.

yes they would never be iced in gorey for example.

I'm struggling to remember the last time I saw a DC charger ICEd, can't think of many in the past year

Circle K clonsaugh for example is always busy and tbr the car park is often full but I've never seen the charger ICEd

It gets a lot of use, so I think people see it being used and think twice before parking there

liamog wrote: »

The first is a habit of people parking, if a constantly empty spot is available they will use it.

The second is a fact, one cannot depend on a charging network.
    Iced, Queues etc.
    I'm struggling to remember the last time I saw a DC charger ICEd, can't think of many in the past year

Circle K clonsaugh for example is always busy and tbr the car park is often full but I've never seen the charger ICEd

It gets a lot of use, so I think people see it being used and think twice before parking there

Seen one last week, and 4 witnessed by Kcross

Agree with you 100% if they are seen to be used then less likely to be iced

People here would have no problem recommending some one buy a 40k or more car and suggest only a 15 minute stop would be the least of their concerns. Its all fine and dandy with such low numbers of EV's...... wait.... wait....untill it happens and its the militant brigade putting stickers on cars.

I did not buy an EV because, I could not find good reason to put the blame on others for a mistake that I bought

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The second is a fact, one cannot depend on a charging network.
    Iced, Queues etc.

That's an opinion, and not one that matches my own experience of charging. I've not seen an iced rapid charger in a very long time, and I've never seen a queue at an Ionity site.

I've shared my own opinion on why Cashel get's iced, the service station doesn't have enough parking spaces, the other Ionity stations don't seem to have the same problem.

I did not buy an EV because, I could not find good reason to put the blame on others for a mistake that I bought

So what you're saying is that you're happy to take full responsibility for any environmental damage caused by the fuel you put in your car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RonanPrice

Short lived cheap price. Same here. Better than the alternatives, and cheaper than chargepoint was.

Lade TuStrom has now jumped to 89c for Ionity. Ouch!

On another note, WeCharge for VW now seems to be 73c without contract, which is a small reduction, yes?

• Advertisement

RonanPrice wrote: »

On another note, WeCharge for VW now seems to be 73c without contract, which is a small reduction, yes?

Same as ionity directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

89c, an absolute rip off. What is with all the chopping and changing of prices with this crew. If they dropped their price to something a bit more respectable (50c say) more people would use them.

Nedved85 wrote: »
    89c, an absolute rip off. What is with all the chopping and changing of prices with this crew. If they dropped their price to something a bit more respectable (50c say) more people would use them.

My guess is that a lot of charging providers are giving a discount on Ionity for the first few months to build up a customer base and then revert to the normal price

89c is pretty horrendous though, obviously a markup built in to that. When you're charging more than Ionity directly then it's really not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

I'm still seeing 59c in TuStrom app. Juts looked at Ionity Athlone #1

WattsUp wrote: »
    Got charged 27.19 for 38.19 kWh (71c/kWh) yesterday even though it says 59c/kWh on the app

innrain wrote: »
    Got charged 27.19 for 38.19 kWh (71c/kWh) yesterday even though it says 59c/kWh on the app

What range would you get from 38 kWh? 300 km?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RonanPrice

WattsUp wrote: »

Weird, still showing me 89c for Athlone just now...WeCharge seems good value by comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Weird, still showing me 89c for Athlone just now...WeCharge seems good value by comparison

Strange, check again right now and still 59c as the advertised price. I think Ionity's own website show it a 73c so 89c is completely bananas

Just got an email that Ionity retired the old app and the new one is available for download.
    It seems the price is 73c/kWh wasn't supposed to be 79?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

innrain wrote: »
    Just got an email that Ionity retired the old app and the new one is available for download.
    It seems the price is 73c/kWh wasn't supposed to be 79?

I downloaded the new app and it doesn't recognise my old login details. To sign up again, I need to provide e-mail, name, mobile phone number and credit card details.

Following the recent HSE clusterfuck, I'm reluctant to provide this info to a supplier that should have it already. Meanwhile the old app is still working.

Am I just too paranoid? :P

Advertisement