Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IONITY - charging / fees / tips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You don't need any card, just register and use the Maingau app on your phone. Explained in detail in this thread how that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

unkel wrote: »
    You don't need any card, just register and use the Maingau app on your phone. Explained in detail in this thread how that works.

Make sure you do this and add payment details it’s not ideal Running of data when on 5% SOC . . . Don’t ask

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

'registration failed, please try again later'.
    thats with the einfachstromladen app.
    can't register on my desktop - possibly due to work filters, it's telling me i'm offline. tbh, i wouldn't trust my mobile network to give me 3g coverage when i got there anyway.

it's a joke. i collected the car last week from the uk. i've got two cards already and lost count of the number of accounts i've set up for chargers and route planners.
    i'm a believer, i've put my cash into an ev but its a ridiculous, unnecessary faff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

'registration failed, please try again later'.
    thats with the einfachstromladen app.
    can't register on my desktop - possibly due to work filters, it's telling me i'm offline. tbh, i wouldn't trust my mobile network to give me 3g coverage when i got there anyway.

it's a joke. i collected the car last week from the uk. i've got two cards already and lost count of the number of accounts i've set up for chargers and route planners.
    i'm a believer, i've put my cash into an ev but its a ridiculous, unnecessary faff.

Maingau will send you a fob in the post for free you won't need data.

Someone posted this earlier.
    Our shop is currently not activated for foreign countries. Therefore, we ask you to put a "0" in front of any four-digit zip code (eg "01050" Vienna). Select "Germany" as country and enter your intended country in the address additional field (eg "Austria"). Only in this way can we ensure that the chip will be delivered to the correct mailbox!
    With our RFID-Chip your charging sessions will be easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

So, on the way to waterford i stopped in Gorey and took the free ESB charger - no problem.
    On the way back the ESB charger was tied up with a Leaf (and another one waiting, unfortunately for him as he came over and chatted about his regret in not having CSS). So I used the Ionity with the app. connected no problem, charged pretty quick (i didn't need much anyway).

Couldn't see how to disconnect the charge. looking now i think i navigate through the app to my transactions/active transaction and hit the button which they didn't bother translating from german. however, i had a wife and child in my ear so was not at my sharpest. why some bits of the app they didn't bother to translate is just staggering to me. i assume its not cheap putting in 4 mega chargers but they then seem to have lost interest when it comes to making them easy to use.

anyway, i called the number on the side of the charger. they disconnected it and i went on my way. however, looking on the app this morning they charged me for parking there until midnight - 60euro.
    some folks here have said such charges dissappear. and the tech guy in that video with bjorn also says not to worry. but its still pretty poor, another thing to keep an eye on and deal with. maybe instead of appearing in videos with ev youtubers his time would be better spent making his product work properly?

rant over, apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I've only ever used the ionity once and on the screen of the charger there was an option to stop the charge, this is all i done and then it allowed me to disconnect the cable. I double checked the charger and it was ready to use again so i presume i disconnected correctly. Hopefully I'll know in the next day of two how much it cost and my account still hasn't been debited yet!

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

So, on the way to waterford i stopped in Gorey and took the free ESB charger - no problem.
    On the way back the ESB charger was tied up with a Leaf (and another one waiting, unfortunately for him as he came over and chatted about his regret in not having CSS). So I used the Ionity with the app. connected no problem, charged pretty quick (i didn't need much anyway).

Couldn't see how to disconnect the charge. looking now i think i navigate through the app to my transactions/active transaction and hit the button which they didn't bother translating from german. however, i had a wife and child in my ear so was not at my sharpest. why some bits of the app they didn't bother to translate is just staggering to me. i assume its not cheap putting in 4 mega chargers but they then seem to have lost interest when it comes to making them easy to use.

anyway, i called the number on the side of the charger. they disconnected it and i went on my way. however, looking on the app this morning they charged me for parking there until midnight - 60euro.
    some folks here have said such charges dissappear. and the tech guy in that video with bjorn also says not to worry. but its still pretty poor, another thing to keep an eye on and deal with. maybe instead of appearing in videos with ev youtubers his time would be better spent making his product work properly?

rant over, apologies.

Is this the Ionity app, or the Maingau app? Maingau didn't spend the money installing the chargers, so it's no skin off their nose if their app isn't translated correctly. They're a German based company, whos app happened to be integrated with Ionity chargers, which are predominantly in German.

Do ionity chargers always display the "stop" button!? Just noticing this now. Any idiot could just knock me off

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Do ionity chargers always display the "stop" button!? Just noticing this now. Any idiot could just knock me off
    Yes, that is a major problem with Ionity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Hi All,
    can someone please clarify the steps necessary for charging with the Maingau app on Ionity.
    I registered and added my irish IBAN/BIC without issue on the app. However the first time I tried to charge with the app I got a "Charging error" on the car and was not successful. I believe this also put the ionity charger out of action for at least an hour.
    Is there a specific sequence - for example - initiate the charge session prior to plugging in charger etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

Others might be different but I’d plug it in first then start the charge and I’ve never had any problems doing it that way. I did however go to start it the first time I used IONITY without it plugged in and it didn’t seam to like that sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pcor00

Any thoughts from people in the new. Kw based charging coming in Feb? Seems a bit crazy @ 0.79 euro per KWhr!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

pcor00 wrote: »
    Any thoughts from people in the new. Kw based charging coming in Feb? Seems a bit crazy @ 0.79 euro per KWhr!

It's been discussed a lot on the main Ionity thread => https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057838746

The main take away is find yourself a mobility provider (i.e. Maingau) and pay a much more reasonable rate.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How did folks set up payment in the Maingau app? Have tried my bank and my Revolut but it won't accept either IBAN as valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How did folks set up payment in the Maingau app? Have tried my bank and my Revolut but it won't accept either IBAN as valid.

Sure you have the right app?

This is the splash screen for the one I have, can't remember whether I set up IBAN in app or website.

Screenshot-20200205-034730.png

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Nuphor

Saw people mention a Maingau card. Other than registering, do I need to do anything else to get it?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Lumen wrote: »
    Sure you have the right app?

This is the splash screen for the one I have, can't remember whether I set up IBAN in app or website.

Screenshot-20200205-034730.png

Yeah definitely the same app. I'll give the website a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Set mine up on the website and got a card in the post. Then set up the app.

Yeah meant to say thanks to Lumen, worked fine when I used the website rather than the app!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

folks im trying to sign up here:

https://anmeldung.einfachstromladen.de/

but its asking for a postcode, what are people putting in?

ignore me sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"It'll be grand" they said. "Just use Maingau" they said.

https://edison.media/maingau-verabschiedet-sich-ebenfalls-vom-ionity-netz/25203263/
    Maingau Energie customers will soon no longer be able to charge their electric cars at Ionity's 232 ultra-fast charging stations in Europe....From Thursday, April 2, the Ionity loaders can no longer be activated via the EnBW Mobility + app. The Maingau charging card probably loses its function on the same day.

So we're back to 79c/kWh.

Unless you have a Hyundai. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

https://edison.media/maingau-verabschiedet-sich-ebenfalls-vom-ionity-netz/25203263/

I wonder how long Chargepoint will hold out. My last Ionity charge was a little over 13c per kWh. using the Chargepoint card.

Sure look, we'll just have to be happy with the ~8c/kWh charging we get at our homes 99% of the time. If ECars get their act together and get more charge points with multiple units, it opens up their 33c/kWh chargers to a lot of the slower charging cars out there. If I had to choose between Ionity and Ecars, given that Ecars had redundancy at the chargepoint im interested in, i'd use Ecars. The time saved going ionity is about 6-10 minutes, on what would already be a quick stop (small battery).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I wonder how long Chargepoint will hold out. My last Ionity charge was a little over 13c per kWh. using the Chargepoint card.

whats that now?

Chargepoint used to be 6.18 per session and is now 7.42 per session

ELM327 wrote: »
    Chargepoint used to be 6.18 per session and is now 7.42 per session

Yup, last session I had was 56.75kWh for the €7.42 I paid.

Yup, last session I had was 56.75kWh for the €7.42
    I do enjoy "filling up" my S at Ionity with chargepoint alright.
    I think the most I added was around 60kWh

ELM327 wrote: »
    I do enjoy "filling up" my S at Ionity with chargepoint alright.
    I think the most I added was around 60kWh

Yeah, my 64kWh car kinda needed a charge. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I've only ever used the maingau card at Ionity.Now I'll have to go through ionity themselves.
    Do I need to apply for a card from ionity or can I use the app to charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Obviously very little is going to change during the pandemic, but it’s tragic how they announced this pricing structure with mention of reduced rates through MSPs, and yet we still haven’t heard a fecking peep about any of those in Ireland.

Advertisement