Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IONITY - charging / fees / tips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

liamog wrote: »
    Why would any e-tron owner pay 79c/kWh when they could pay 31c/kWh instead?

Thinking more about the rentals, I regularly rent the E-Tron and others + use Maingau

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, I was on the last one set up by the same organizer but missed this one. Interesting, especially with everyone stuck at home, good to shoot the breeze with others interested in EVs too

ELM327 wrote: »
    No, I was on the last one set up by the same organizer but missed this one. Interesting, especially with everyone stuck at home, good to shoot the breeze with others interested in EVs too

I possibly would of, but I was doing a bit of work out the back, when my wife went for a walk with our daughter... And locked the house up... With my phone inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Any further word on the chargers at Kill?

liamog wrote: »
    Why would any e-tron owner pay 79c/kWh when they could pay 31c/kWh instead?
    Because they'd have to pay 18 quid a month for the discount

I was looking at a second hand ex demo etron but it doesnt make sense.
    The fast charging is too expensive. 150kW consistent is great, but where you are doing >300wh/km and charging 80c per kWh it's useless

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Because they'd have to pay 18 quid a month for the discount

I was looking at a second hand ex demo etron but it doesnt make sense.
    The fast charging is too expensive. 150kW consistent is great, but where you are doing >300wh/km and charging 80c per kWh it's useless

50 kWh at 79c = €39.50
    50 kWh at 31c + €17.95 subscription = €33.45

Any e-Tron user who uses an Ionity charger at least 10 times a year will break even on the subscription. If I was using one for regular long journeys I'd probably sign up and use the Ionity charger over the eCars network.
    ABRP show's I'd need two 20 min charges to do a return journey Dublin to Cork in an e-Tron 55. I don't think people who pay €100,000 for a car are going to quibble over an extra €215/year to access the much better network.

There are plenty of reason's to not buy an e-Tron, but paying 1% of the purchase price for access to a high speed charging network is very low down on the list!

Anyone listen in?

Yes. The UK and Irl manager joined from Germany. Seemed up to date on all Irish chargers.

Said kill is waiting on esb supply which is delayed due to covit.

Dublin north is going from 2 to 4 chargers, lack of stock was issue

Mention of northern Ireland, they said they attempted to install at a few sites but ESB NI said they could not supply the power needed. They said they are attempting another NI site and that a request is in with ESB. They won't announce anything until installation starts, presuming the site can get the power and planning permission. They said it is a new petrol station but would not say where.

Also apologised for pricing or made excuses at least. Said people should not use ionity for daily use. Said Hyundai is not fully joined as a partner, but when they are, Hyundai/Kia may offer preferred pricing. I think it is an anti -competition assessment delaying signoff.

There is plans for new Ionity app by end of summer no plans for Ionity RFID card.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

LOL, laughing it up in NI, no laws passed to allow charging for charging so all still free up there

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Fingers cross that NI one is somewhere along the Dublin route

MJohnston wrote: »
    Fingers cross that NI one is somewhere along the Dublin route
    Castlebellingham services would be a good spot
    Already Tesla and Ecars there

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

zg3409 wrote: »
    Yes. The UK and Irl manager joined from Germany. Seemed up to date on all Irish chargers.

Mention of northern Ireland, they said they attempted to install at a few sites but ESB NI said they could not supply the power needed. They said they are attempting another NI site and that a request is in with ESB. They won't announce anything until installation starts, presuming the site can get the power and planning permission. They said it is a new petrol station but would not say where.

Also apologised for pricing or made excuses at least. Said people should not use ionity for daily use. Said Hyundai is not fully joined as a partner, but when they are, Hyundai/Kia may offer preferred pricing. I think it is an anti -competition assessment delaying signoff.

There is plans for new Ionity app by end of summer no plans for Ionity RFID card.

No mention of plans for more sites in the Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

zg3409 wrote: »

Any comment about charging spots being blocked by ICE cars and vans?

Castlebellingham services would be a good spot
    Already Tesla and Ecars there

That's not Northern Ireland though. Too close to CityNorth too, I think.

Best candidate imo would be the Applegreen between Lisburn and Belfast on the M1. There's also a few slightly offline Circle K stations on the A1, but I don't know what size they are.

The other alternative option would probably be something on the Belfast to Derry route, maybe the Texaco at the foot of the Glenshane Pass.

MJohnston wrote: »
    That's not Northern Ireland though. Too close to CityNorth too, I think.

Best candidate imo would be the Applegreen between Lisburn and Belfast on the M1. There's also a few slightly offline Circle K stations on the A1, but I don't know what size they are.

The other alternative option would probably be something on the Belfast to Derry route, maybe the Texaco at the foot of the Glenshane Pass.
    It's more northern than anything else (southern, western etc)

If you want something in "the 6" then there aren't really any good service stations of any size past newry

Any comment about charging spots being blocked by ICE cars and vans?

Question was not asked. There were questions in the chat, but not all were asked or answered. To be fair they did not want to beat up Ionity rep on downsides, instead get news.
    No mention of plans for more sites in the Republic?
    No. There was a general request for north west.

To be fair we have same number of Ionity sites as UK (UK has a lot of non operational)

I would not expect any more sites here, as they target out of city motorway sites, and most busy routes will have them. The aim of the network is to allow 300km+ range cars go between cities.

Stop button easily pressed by other drivers was mentioned, and was agreed as known issue.

Between Gorey, Cashel, Athlone, 2*m7 kill, and citynorth they've pretty much everywhere bar the NW black hole covered.
    If they put one to the west of the North of Ireland, then they will have almost 100% island coverage

Between Gorey, Cashel, Athlone, 2*m7 kill, and citynorth they've pretty much everywhere bar the NW black hole covered.
    If they put one to the west of the North of Ireland, then they will have almost 100% island coverage

Wonder why the North West has been ignored in general. Ecars have given it very little love too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Population density?

As for the north there's the 2 new service stations between Belfast and Lisburn that only opened last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Wonder why the North West has been ignored in general. Ecars have given it very little love too.

DrPhilG lives there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The lowest population density in Ireland? The lowest income per capita area in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭digiman

The NW badly needs something at one of the 2 petrol stations in Cavan. I found out there is a 50kW charger outside Enniskillen which I will use on my next trip up whenever we are allowed again. There is one 50kW charger outside Donegal town which I’ve used but always worried someone is going to be there as there is only the one charger.

Thankfully I can make it up without having to charge but when I arrive I only have about 50km left which is not ideal if you have to make some trips when you arrive there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

digiman wrote: »
    The NW badly needs something at one of the 2 petrol stations in Cavan. I found out there is a 50kW charger outside Enniskillen which I will use on my next trip up whenever we are allowed again....

Thankfully I can make it up without having to charge but when I arrive I only have about 50km left which is not ideal if you have to make some trips when you arrive there.

Do not depend on that charger, twice I've gone to use it, both times out of order and both times listed on the ESB app as working.
    Granted that was before their new app....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I found the Enniskillen FCP very unreliable in the past too

It's more northern than anything else (southern, western etc)

If you want something in "the 6" then there aren't really any good service stations of any size past newry

It may be more northern than anything else, but the poster specifically said the guy said "Northern Ireland", not the north.

On the Dublin-Belfast route, I'd say there are a few places that could accommodate Ionity:
    * The Boulevard in Banbridge (formerly The Outlet)
    * On-line Circle K just north of Banbridge (a smallish site right now, but it has an eCars FCP right now, and there's plenty of space for expansion)
    * Sprucefield
    * The aforementioned on-line Applegreen service stations on the M1 between Lisburn and Blacks Road.

Ionity tend to favor online circle k positions, so I'd probably suggest the banbridge one based on that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Nothing at all on the south coast corridor (N25/N22) or west coast corridor (N20/M18/M17)

Not sure they'd have the worthwhile usage?

• Advertisement

Seems Maingau now support credit card payments. Just got an email from them.
    The app crashes when I got to the payments screen

Advertisement