Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IONITY - charging / fees / tips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Seems Maingau now support credit card payments. Just got an email from them. . . . . The app crashes when I got to the payments screen

Exact same here

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Same here. It does seem to allow adding credit card on desktop site without the crash

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I just have it set up from my bank account, don't like using the credit cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

ELM327 wrote: »
    I just have it set up from my bank account, don't like using the credit cards!

I'd be exactly the opposite - far safer using a credit card in my experience. Once a company have permission to debit a bank account, it's far more difficult to recoup funds should anything go wrong.

Kramer wrote: »
    I'd be exactly the opposite - far safer using a credit card in my experience. Once a company have permission to debit a bank account, it's far more difficult to recoup funds should anything go wrong.

You have 4 weeks unquestioned right to revoke any payment taken by SEPA for any reason or none, and up to 8 weeks if you have a valid reason.

Credit cards you have to go through the chargeback process which is not quick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I emailed them about it. Dunno how active they'll be about it though, never dealt with their dev contact process before.

You have 4 weeks unquestioned right to revoke any payment taken by SEPA for any reason or none, and up to 8 weeks if you have a valid reason

Yes, in an ideal world.
    I did have an issue a few years ago where a major company refused to refund an incorrectly taken debit.
    The bank refused to reverse it too & when I complained to the BPFI, they accepted misconduct by both the company & bank.
    The company went on to ignore further instructions from the BPFI, ignored all comms & didn't give a f<uK.

The bank eventually refunded the payment "as a gesture of goodwill" :rolleyes:.

I've no trust in the Irish banking system :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes, in an ideal world.
    I did have an issue a few years ago

The legislation ELM327 is referring to is relatively new. Your situation probably happened before these changes were made :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The bank eventually refunded the payment "as a gesture of goodwill" :rolleyes:.

I've no trust in the Irish banking system :mad:.

That would have been previous to SEPA. There is a clear ruleset since SEPA superseeded the original Direct Debit system. And those rules can't be negotiated by the bank. It's under EU banking laws.

The rules ELM327 refers to are the SEPA rules. They are the ones that count and have to be adhered to. Before that it was very wishy washy, when it came to irish banks. Most of the time, because they couldn't be bothered, even though there was legislation for them to do it. But you had to know, where to find it and then point their noses at it.

/M

unkel wrote: »
    The legislation ELM327 is referring to is relatively new. (

No, it's not that long ago really - the direct debit rules were in place but just ignored by the bank & company who originated the debit.
    Everyone just washed their hands of it.

It's not as if banks would ever flout the rules now is it? :D
    As with all these rules, they are only as good as how they are enforced & here, well, let's just say there's the Irish way & then there's the right way :D.

Anyway, it's good to have the option of a credit card for Maingau I reckon but isn't is 79c/kWh now?
    Expensive :(.

• Advertisement

Anyway, it's good to have the option of a credit card for Maingau I reckon but isn't is 79c/kWh now?

Not as far as I can see.
    https://www.maingau-energie.de/e-mobilit%C3%A4t/Autostrom-Tarif

Yep, still shows 40c/kWh on the app & 10c/min after 61 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

No. Maingau made it clear that they stick to their pricing model. So it is still the same as before the Ionity hike.

/M

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I've my manigau account linked to my card in the app for months now, think i had the option when i set it up last November.

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Population density?

As for the north there's the 2 new service stations between Belfast and Lisburn that only opened last year.
    unkel wrote: »
    The lowest population density in Ireland? The lowest income per capita area in Ireland?

Pretty clear upon seeing this:
    hfarngt10dy41.png
    Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/giec85/counties_of_ireland_by_population/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Population density is kind of unimportant to charger station placement. In fact, it might be a very counter-productive stat to use, at least for fast chargers. You shouldn't simply place chargers where people live, but also where they want to go.

Some of the least-densely populated parts of Ireland are also the most popular with tourism. And if you can't reach those areas with an EV, that's a huge problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

MJohnston wrote: »
    Population density is kind of unimportant to charger station placement. In fact, it might be a very counter-productive stat to use, at least for fast chargers. You shouldn't simply place chargers where people live, but also where they want to go.

Some of the least-densely populated parts of Ireland are also the most popular with tourism. And if you can't reach those areas with an EV, that's a huge problem.

Kerry is a prime example of that. One rapid down there which seriously limits your ability to spin around the county in an EV.

You ideally want to put fast chargers in an area of less population density, but beside one or more areas (within ~100-150) of population density. And with a reason to travel at the other end. EG putting a fast charger in Cashel for Ionity. Beside a tourist area, and near enough to Galway, Cork and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Exactly this. As my foreign holiday is unlikely to happen this year (next year?) it’d be nice to see more of Ireland. Not really that easy in my egolf.
    Actually easier for me to do the same holiday in Wales/UK (assuming ferries run, I’ve not looked yet).

I'm already planning a staycation for this year, here, instead of a usual vacation on the continent. We generally cruise every second year and this year is the next one. But we're gonna hold off. I generally book hotels etc only if they have charging, either provided by the hotel or a destination charger nearby.

Re the UK, CCS cover is awful, much worse than here. Those that do work, are generally either prohibitively expensive or limited to below 35kW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

KCross wrote: »
    Kerry is a prime example of that. One rapid down there which seriously limits your ability to spin around the county in an EV.

If only the Healy Reas believed in electric transport; there'd be hundreds of rapid chargers in the county.

If only the Healy Reas believed in electric transport; there'd be hundreds of rapid chargers in the county.
    Ah but sure they can't go through pools of water, horse, we'll show them jackeens in dublin on behalf of the people of ciarraí

You shouldn't simply place chargers where people live, but also where they want to go.

Hence the blackspot :D

Kerry is a pain in the hole for its lack of chargers. West Galway too. Costal drives are quite difficult given the placement of chargers. Maybe with a Zoe or a dual charging S it might be feasible, but not for 90% of the EVs in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

I'm already planning a staycation for this year, here, instead of a usual vacation on the continent. We generally cruise every second year and this year is the next one. But we're gonna hold off. I generally book hotels etc only if they have charging, either provided by the hotel or a destination charger nearby.

Re the UK, CCS cover is awful, much worse than here. Those that do work, are generally either prohibitively expensive or limited to below 35kW.

I dunno- I drove mine back from the UK with no problems and found no shortage of chargers. Can’t remember what I paid ecotricity per charge but probably cheaper/less faff than renting a car for the week.
    Have my eye on a hotel in Ross on Wye - has a charger and real ale in the bar. Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

I see easygo have updated their app and now have roaming to esb and Ionity. The Ionity all show up as 130kW Max power on easygo app. (Ionity app says up to 350kW) Is that correct? and they show as no fee on the app, but I presume there will be fees. I asked easygo for their ionity pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

More like in between where they want to go ??

A Rapid charger in the middle of nowhere near a motorway in between major cities will see much more use than a rapid charger in a high density area.

Free ionity with easygo!?

Well the ESB charger in Cashel also says free of charge. Pretty sure they won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

redcup342 wrote: »
    More like in between where they want to go ??

A Rapid charger in the middle of nowhere near a motorway in between major cities will see much more use than a rapid charger in a high density area.

Yes, I worded my original post a bit misleadingly, when I say "where they want to go" I don't mean literally at the destination. I mean place them in spots that have the most utility for people travelling to those destinations. So, as you say, along major road routes that head that way.

In this case, somewhere along the A6 closer to Derry is probably a good choice for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

70c per kEh + 25c connection fee I believe

Advertisement