Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robots are now racist…

• 02-08-2019 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Yes. In our new bizzaro world where everything is racist. Cnn are running a story on a study that shows robots are racist because they are made from shiny white materials.

I fear for our western civilisation. We have fought all the civil justice and liberty fights. Won all the battles. Now we look for the smallest imaginary crumbs to fight over.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1156916257834381312

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This is old news, sure we already know self driving cars are more likely to "not see" people with darker skin. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

The left always making new ways to be racists.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

mad muffin wrote: »
    Now we look for the smallest imaginary crumbs to fight over.
    So why give it oxygen here then:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

I heard a loaf of white bread call me a paddy bastard once..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Beasty wrote: »
    So why give it oxygen here then:confused:

We need to call it out. But your right. Current affairs and IMHO is definitely the wrong name to have named this forum.…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,791 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What is it with these snowflakes scouring the planet for offence?

It must be fúcking exhausting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Yes. In our new bizzaro world where everything is racist. Cnn are running a story on a study that shows robots are racist because they are made from shiny white materials.

I fear for our western civilisation. We have fought all the civil justice and liberty fights. Won all the battles. Now we look for the smallest imaginary crumbs to fight over.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1156916257834381312

^^
    487036.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Nah nazis and racists are robots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

CNN is just making trumps 2020 campaign so much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    The left always making new ways to be racists.
    The left lives for sowing division. Without conflict there is no reason for them to exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's a click-baity headline. If you read through the article, it's more nuanced.
    In the "shooter bias" test, black and white people and robots appeared on a screen for less than a second, and participants were told to "shoot" those holding a weapon. Black robots that were not holding weapons were shot more than the white ones not carrying guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

muff maddin remarking about looking for things to fight about. Oh the ironing.

Stark wrote: »
    It's a click-baity headline. If you read through the article, it's more nuanced.

Why is it click bait?
    "The bias against black robots is a result of bias against African-Americans," lead researcher Christoph Bartneck explained to The Next Web. He told CNN, "It is amazing to see how people who had no prior interaction with robots show racial bias towards them."

muff maddin remarking about looking for things to fight about. Oh the ironing.

I like how it’s always the same people. Deflect from the question at hand by attack.

So I ask. You approve of this study? Is it good that everything is labeled racist? I’m not looking for things to fight. I think we’ve reached the cliff edge and if we don’t push back against this kind of nonsense. It will be too late.

This is a hill worth dying on.

Interestingly it’s the same posters coming in to shutting down discussion with derision and insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ever not always

What about them 'white goods', huh?

What about them 'white goods', huh?

Hehe. But they have an issue in the study with robots be cause they are supposedly our future teachers and such. Can’t have a human faced white robot teaching our kids all the racisms.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Anto Lynch

Its quite obvious why the robots are made white, dont mention it though or youll get banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

mad muffin some of us are just laughing at your obsessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yes. In our new bizzaro world where everything is racist. Cnn are running a story on a study ...
    That's your first mistake right there - watching CNN and mistaking it for news.

mad muffin some of us are just laughing at your obsessions.

Okay. I guess I should take the hint and leave where I’m not wanted.

Haha who am I kidding? I’m never going to leave. You’ll have to carry me out feet first of this hill.

• Advertisement

SeanW wrote: »
    That's your first mistake right there - watching CNN and mistaking it for news.

I don’t watch them. It came across my interwebs. This is the kind of thing that is actually going on in our universities and schools. Our future in these peoples hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There’s a bit of irony here when folks go looking for people to be offended by whom they are upset are looking for things to be offended by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

The article doesn't say robots are racist now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Maybe they will be in the future ;)

Just color them all blue. Blue is great for a humanoid robot...

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Advertisement