Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance company cancelled my policy

• 02-08-2019 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

So I received a letter yesterday stating that my motor policy was cancelled and for the last few days was driving my car uninsured. I had received a letter at the start of July saying they hadn't received my direct debit and to send on or they would cancel. I did so and heard nothing until the letter yesterday.

When I phoned I was told there was nothing that could be done. It was cancelled and they couldn't even make a new policy because previous had been cancelled... After couple of requests to speak to a manager I finally get to put through a new quote which is 100 euro more expensive since I lost my "loyalty bonus".

Yesterday afternoon I missed a callback so phoned back and was told that they found the paper work I submitted and would refund me the extra...

I am livid as their sloppiness resulted in me unconsciously breaking the law and other personal distress. It is quite distressing being told that you can't drive your car and would have to wait 48 hours for a call back. I think some good will should be offered from the company

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

These thinga happen. It's been sorted and no harm, no foul, imo. If you'd had a tip of some description while you were technically uninsured I can see why you'd be annoyed but as it stands, I see it as a case of all's well that ends well. I suspect you're angling for some kind of compensation for "the stress" or somesuch, though, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

perhaps a nice bumper stciker or something? or furry dice for your car?

financial compensation would be ludicris and undserved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Dial Hard wrote: »
    These thinga happen. It's been sorted and no harm, no foul, imo. If you'd had a tip of some description while you were technically uninsured I can see why you'd be annoyed but as it stands, I see it as a case of all's well that ends well. I suspect you're angling for some kind of compensation for "the stress" or somesuch, though, no?

The first agent hung up on me. The second agent multiple times told me there was nothing that could be done. The treatment of a customer was disgraceful and then it turns out to be their own incompetence. They were quite happy to penalize me over 100 euro why shouldn't there be some good will a proper apology at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Complain to the Ombudsman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I think you should get a bajillion euros and a lollipop.

Poor you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

gwalk wrote: »

Just an apology and someone review the handling of the case would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

See some lad up the north got £10k because he was upset at having to work in the same building that had a picture of the Queen. Just sayin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

emeldc wrote: »
    See some lad up the north got £10k because he was upset at having to work in the same building that had a picture of the Queen. Just sayin'.

That doesnt mean its deserved in this case, 'Just saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Loweface

Be careful to get it in writing that the policy was not cancelled.

Insurance companies in the future could try hold this against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Loweface wrote: »

^This. This is very important. You do not want to have a cancelled policy on your record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Which company was it? I'll avoid them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

F****** hell. You're having a laugh? Have a drink and get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

^^actually, I’d take it quite seriously, at least until I knew that this cancellation has no permanent effects. If you have a cancelled policy on your record, it can cost you a fortune in future policies, or even result in insurers refusing to cover you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

antix80 wrote: »
    F****** hell. You're having a laugh? Have a drink and get over it.

Driving without cover is a criminal offence and a massive additional stress if you are hit by someone uninsured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Loweface wrote: »

Exactly this as you will be asked the question if you've ever had a policy cancelled on you when you take out a new policy with an insurer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,423 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

5665.jpg

Sup bro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,423 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

As for the OP, is it now on your record that you've had insurance cancelled? I'd be trying to get that struck off if I were you and not be concerned about loyalty bonuses or compensation of any variety

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Driving without cover is a criminal offence and a massive additional stress if you are hit by someone uninsured.

FWIW I really doubt you would have been prosecuted due to you genuinely having no reason to believe you were uninsured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

None of this would have happened if you had honoured the financial commitment you had made with your insurers

None of this would have happened if you had honoured the financial commitment you had made with your insurers

It's not always like that. I got a missed payment notice from Vodafone a few months back with money in the account which after investigation turned out they didn't put in for it.

Insurance companies are notorious for just cancelling policies. Quinn did the same to me years ago without any notice of the missed payment

• Advertisement

Insurance companies are notorious for just cancelling policies. Quinn did the same to me years ago without any notice of the missed payment

And many policyholders are notorious for breaking their repayment agreement and ignoring correspondence that comes in from their insurers as a result. In this instance, the OP seems to have omitted a step in the correspondence he would have received. There is no way it went from 'pay your arrears or we will cancel', to receiving a letter that said he was cancelled resulting in him driving around for the last few days uninsured.

He would have received a letter advising him that his policy will be cancelled with all cover ending in 7/10 days time (depending on the policy wording).

And many policyholders are notorious for breaking their repayment agreement and ignoring correspondence that comes in from their insurers as a result. In this instance, the OP seems to have omitted a step in the correspondence he would have received. There is no way it went from 'pay your arrears or we will cancel', to receiving a letter that said he was cancelled resulting in him driving around for the last few days uninsured.

He would have received a letter advising him that his policy will be cancelled with all cover ending in 7/10 days time (depending on the policy wording).

You'd expect that but exactly this happened me with Quinn may years ago. No contact, no letter, no previous missed payments. Just a letter to say my policy was cancelled over a missed payment which also stated that they had send a copy of the letter to the Gardai

You'd expect that but exactly this happened me with Quinn may years ago. No contact, no letter, no previous missed payments. Just a letter to say my policy was cancelled over a missed payment which also stated that they had send a copy of the letter to the Gardai

The cancellation letter would have been by registered letter to the last known address they have for you. The condition only obliges them to send it, they don’t need to ensure it has been received. Quite often people move address and and don’t inform their insurers

Also, Insurers don’t send a copy to the Gardai, they send it to the Department of Environment

Advertisement