Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Lets invade ireland' says some fella on Twitter

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

bear1 wrote: »
    He seems to be forgetting that we'd have the EU and I assume the Americans on our side so his plan may not last as long as he thinks.

Varadkar is one of those virtue signalling "Resist Trump" Morons.

We are being invaded anyway. We're just calling the invaders "refugees" instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

bear1 wrote: »
    Well an attack on an EU state is convered as an attack on the entire EU.
    Neutral or not.

But what happens if it's done before October 31st? UK would still be an EU country and I don't think there is an EU directive to cover the scenario of 2 EU countries having a tiff.

Of interest though would be the replies advocating Ireland invading the North, which would put Ireland at odds with NATO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,598 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Why should all the nationalists of Armagh or Tyrone etc have to live under British rule ?
    We should either have a United ireland or all go back under the Queens rule

What an extraordinary thing to say. Why on earth should those be the 2 options?

The people in NI today are as well off under British rule as thy would be under Irish rule. The are subsided by as much as £12bn (12 billion per year. Think about that for a minute in comparison to the spare money ion the Irish budget) a year by Westminster. Dublin couldn’t offer the same subsidy. So they would arguably be much worse off under Irish rule.

And would you be ok with assimilating loyalist ciulture? Orange parades down o Connell st with the president in attendance to honour King Billy and his glorious victory? I doubt most Irish people have even considered the reality of a united ireland.

But surely this chat is for one of the united Ireland threads. Let’s move it there so I can avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

What an extraordinary thing to say. Why on earth should those be the 2 options?

The people in NI today are as well off under British rule as thy would be under Irish rule. The are subsided by as much as £12bn (12 billion per year. Think about that for a minute in comparison to the spare money ion the Irish budget) a year by Westminster. Dublin couldn’t offer the same subsidy. So they would arguably be much worse off under Irish rule.

And would you be ok with assimilating loyalist ciulture? Orange parades down o Connell st with the president in attendance to honour King Billy and his glorious victory? I doubt most Irish people have even considered the reality of a united ireland.

But surely this chat is for one of the united Ireland threads. Let’s move it there so I can avoid it.

Yes let there be parades of King Billy in Dublin , that’s better than abandoning the nationalists of the 6 counties .... Don’t think any of the men who fought for Ireland fought for a 3/4 free Ireland !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Interesting thought though. If they DID invade would any other country help us militarily? Or would it just be sanctions and a whole lot of general tutting.

It's not the same but the world seems to have let Russia just swallow up a part of the Ukraine only recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,598 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yes let there be parades of King Billy in Dublin , that’s better than abandoning the nationalists of the 6 counties .... Don’t think any of the men who fought for Ireland fought for a 3/4 free Ireland !
    I’m interested to see your support for orangism as part of our shared culture. But I doubt many other Irish people would be so willing to accept unionist culture into the republic.

Any comment on where the £12bn subsidy for NI per year would come from in the Irish budget?

Apart from anything, why do we have to do anything base on what the people 100 years ago thought. They would have no time for the capitalism we see in Ireland today, likewise the gays and other “deviants” were put back in their box pretty quickly after the war of independence.

I’m pretty happy to trust ourselves to forge ahead and create our own destiny. I don’t think we need to do anything because it’s what people 100 years ago wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,616 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Why should all the nationalists of Armagh or Tyrone etc have to live under British rule ?
    We should either have a United ireland or all go back under the Queens rule .
    All this I’m alright jack for those in the 26 counties is selfishness of the highest order . Hanging out the nationalist community of the 6 counties to dry .

I agree. Abolish this democracy lark and restore direct rule of the monarchy for the 32 counties if that's what you mean by the Queen's rule?

People in Britain, well some of them at least, say the same about not hanging out the Unionists to dry in a United Ireland.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭thomasj

Looking at his Twitter profile picture I thought be might be on that love island show where some of the contestants leave their brains behind in quarinteen at the airport.

He isn't even that.

thomasj wrote: »
    Looking at his Twitter profile picture I thought be might be on that love island show where some of the contestants leave their brains behind in quarinteen at the airport. He isn't even that.

... Yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭cml387

If they did take over, does that mean that we'd have to follow the Premier League and all support their football teams?

No, wait.

cml387 wrote: »
    If they did take over, does that mean that we'd have to follow the Premier League and all support their football teams?
    No, wait.

No. Everyone would start following Barcelona or Real Madrid so we'd still be following a 'foreign' team :)
    The hipsters would go for Athletic Bilbao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The UK have had some serious issues with regard to immigration and integration over the last century. Had Ireland not gained independence - it is highly likley imo that we would have already become a dumping ground for much of England's problems. Has anyone seen the level of settlement ongoing in the North in recent years? Even the original immigrants there are feeling rightly squeezed! If the UK invaded here - I'm sure they'd do they same again here.

An Interesting treatment of this subject in a book called "The Pompeii Syndrome" where Ireland (in the wake of a terrorist attack on British Nuclear installations) experiences an invasion by the English to acquire uncontaminated living space for its 70 million inhabitants...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

cml387 wrote: »

No, wait.

I think the connection with English football is because it's a working class game, we have more common cause with working class English people and culture than we do with our own upper middle class and ruling class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

The scary thing is although this guy is obviously some random asshole. It could just as easily be tweeted by some Brexit party MEP or Tory councillor

Have we been invaded yet. I CAN'T TELL???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,840 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

In the spirit of that twitter garbage -

I'll be honest, I can't wait to slap some Brits around. Some of them do be just asking for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Another example of how sarcastic and satirical humour doesn't always work online. He was clearly making a joke that missed the mark but cue outrage. Same thing happened with Cleese's wisecrack at Irish spelling.

Kind of morto for the folks replying to him showing outrage.

As another poster said, just ignore this stuff, whether someone is trying to be funny or not.

odyssey06 wrote: »

Britain nuked Athlone on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

odyssey06 wrote: »

Leitrim no longer exists.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

"There wouldn't be a resistance" is the funny part. Poor fella obviously doesn't read much history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

"Ireland leaves with the rest of the people that have been carrying it for centuries "

Intriguing sentence

Advertisement