Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Lets invade ireland' says some fella on Twitter

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

cml387 wrote: »
    If they did take over, does that mean that we'd have to follow the Premier League and all support their football teams?
    No, wait.

No. Everyone would start following Barcelona or Real Madrid so we'd still be following a 'foreign' team :)
    The hipsters would go for Athletic Bilbao.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The UK have had some serious issues with regard to immigration and integration over the last century. Had Ireland not gained independence - it is highly likley imo that we would have already become a dumping ground for much of England's problems. Has anyone seen the level of settlement ongoing in the North in recent years? Even the original immigrants there are feeling rightly squeezed! If the UK invaded here - I'm sure they'd do they same again here.

An Interesting treatment of this subject in a book called "The Pompeii Syndrome" where Ireland (in the wake of a terrorist attack on British Nuclear installations) experiences an invasion by the English to acquire uncontaminated living space for its 70 million inhabitants...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

cml387 wrote: »
    If they did take over, does that mean that we'd have to follow the Premier League and all support their football teams?

No, wait.

I think the connection with English football is because it's a working class game, we have more common cause with working class English people and culture than we do with our own upper middle class and ruling class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

The scary thing is although this guy is obviously some random asshole. It could just as easily be tweeted by some Brexit party MEP or Tory councillor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Have we been invaded yet. I CAN'T TELL???

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,569 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

In the spirit of that twitter garbage -

I'll be honest, I can't wait to slap some Brits around. Some of them do be just asking for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Another example of how sarcastic and satirical humour doesn't always work online. He was clearly making a joke that missed the mark but cue outrage. Same thing happened with Cleese's wisecrack at Irish spelling.

Kind of morto for the folks replying to him showing outrage.

As another poster said, just ignore this stuff, whether someone is trying to be funny or not.

odyssey06 wrote: »

Britain nuked Athlone on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

odyssey06 wrote: »

Leitrim no longer exists.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

"There wouldn't be a resistance" is the funny part. Poor fella obviously doesn't read much history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

"Ireland leaves with the rest of the people that have been carrying it for centuries "

Intriguing sentence

Advertisement