Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby proof door Hinge

• 02-08-2019 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi;

Currently in the process of baby proofing the house. On some of our doors we have large exposed hinges (large circular hinge, on outside of door)
    - they are roughly head height for our crawling baby. If he falls on these they would easily cut him.

Has anyone tips to baby proof these. I have tried bubble wrap and plenty of tape, but this attracts the baby and he eventually pulls them off.

Edit- looks to be a Butt hinge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

think outside the box, as opposed to covering everything with bubble wrap and tape just cover the baby with bubble wrap and tape.
    seriously though dont worry about it you cant really baby proof a house.

id be inclined to get those baby proof latches for the cupboards with cleaning stuff etc. and a big fire guard if you have a open fire.

out from that i wouldn't bother and i have had 3.
    with the first one we did everything possible to man to baby proof, a waste of time he got more injuries then the other two combined.

we the second one we did less as most of it was pointless.

with the last one we did next to nothing,by then the older two had broken every safety latch pulled down every stair gate etc. not a bother to him going up and downs stairs way before the other two could and much more safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I agree with Farmchoice. They’ll always find some why to injure themselves. My little boy got his first split lip by tripping over my feet and banging his face on the edge of our window sills.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would not bother either.A child has to be able to assess risk, gain an appreciation of what is dangerous.By covering everything in bubble wrap and pads, they can't learn.We have three kids, one stair gate at the top of the stairs, latches on the upstairs windows and two press locks where cleaning stuff is in bathrooms.That's it.You keep steering him away from the dangerous stuff and very quickly they learn what is not ok-what is hot, what can pinch fingers etc.They learn from you.It's a pain in the rear but it is better for them.Apart from obvious things like taking chemicals etc out of reach, I wouldn't bother.

FYI we have those hinges too and a crawling/toddling 14 month old.Not an issue.He is more likely to trip on his own foot and bust his lip on the kitchen floor (three times now...), and there is nothing I can do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭sheriff2

Thanks for responses, yep first child so a little over cautious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

sheriff2 wrote: »
    Thanks for responses, yep first child so a little over cautious.

Don't worry!
    It's natural you want to protect the little mite :)

I was the same... was about to bubble wrap the whole house, but gradually just let go.
    I let our little man explore, and most things I was 'afraid' he'd go near or hurt himself, he either got bored being near or just didn't bother.
    I admit it's probably a bit different with just the first as you can keep an eye on him all the time.

No matter how careful you are, there will be some falls / knocks etc...
    It's all part of learning!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

For sanity, teach him how to go up and down stairs-he can crawl up, but teach him to either bump down, or turn around and go down backwards.They cop it quite quickly, and then start using it to get down off other things...it's not failsafe but it gives you a bit of peace of mind thst if he makes it up a few steps without you noticing, he isn't going to turn around and pitch forwards to get back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

sheriff2 wrote: »
    Hi;

Currently in the process of baby proofing the house. On some of our doors we have large exposed hinges (large circular hinge, on outside of door)
    - they are roughly head height for our crawling baby. If he falls on these they would easily cut him.

Has anyone tips to baby proof these. I have tried bubble wrap and plenty of tape, but this attracts the baby and he eventually pulls them off.

Edit- looks to be a Butt hinge

Hi OP, its funny all the stuff we become aware of when they are mobile :D
    If the hinges were very rusty or sharp you could probably file them but if not I say they will be ok. I would probably not use bubble wrap / tape unless your sure it can't be taken off by baby as that can be more dangerous if he puts in mouth.

When my baby started becoming mobile I baby proofed some things but this was more moving things out of reach.

Certain furniture that was higher than wide, I just got rid of as it was too much hassle fixing them to the wall. Wanted to declutter anyway!

The main room in my house is quite busy, we do everything in it and its where plays etc so I got a vertical fitted bar fire gaurd around marble fireplace as it was difficult for him to run around without falling into the marble.....it was too stressful keeping him away from it as it in the only room in house used and I wanted him to be able to run around without tripping on it all the time. My friends didn't have to do that with their kids but I found it easier having it there.

Certain things such as plug sockets covers is also needed here. No matter how many times I say don't play with them he keeps trying to put things in them so I have to have the safety things on them.

Blinds chords are also something you should look at and research how to make them safe. These are very dangerous to small kids.

I think some things i.e falling, banging into things are ok to learn ( within reason) but other things such as blind chords, sharp things / chemicals/ washing machine tablets etc need to be baby proofed or up out of reach :) Personally I find it easier to move things up out of reach but that is just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Hi OP, its funny all the stuff we become aware of when they are mobile :D
    If the hinges were very rusty or sharp you could probably file them but if not I say they will be ok. I would probably not use bubble wrap / tape unless your sure it can't be taken off by baby as that can be more dangerous if he puts in mouth.

When my baby started becoming mobile I baby proofed some things but this was more moving things out of reach.

Certain furniture that was higher than wide, I just got rid of as it was too much hassle fixing them to the wall. Wanted to declutter anyway!

The main room in my house is quite busy, we do everything in it and its where plays etc so I got a vertical fitted bar fire gaurd around marble fireplace as it was difficult for him to run around without falling into the marble.....it was too stressful keeping him away from it as it in the only room in house used and I wanted him to be able to run around without tripping on it all the time. My friends didn't have to do that with their kids but I found it easier having it there.

Certain things such as plug sockets covers is also needed here. No matter how many times I say don't play with them he keeps trying to put things in them so I have to have the safety things on them.

Blinds chords are also something you should look at and research how to make them safe. These are very dangerous to small kids.

I think some things i.e falling, banging into things are ok to learn ( within reason) but other things such as blind chords, sharp things / chemicals/ washing machine tablets etc need to be baby proofed or up out of reach :) Personally I find it easier to move things up out of reach but that is just me

take those plug socket covers off imedietly. i mean now. right now.
    they are the most dangerous things imaginable. all they do is make it easier to put stuff into the socket.they actually over ride the safety systems inside our sockets . i dont know how they are allowed to be sold.

check out this website that has been campaigning to get them banned
    http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/

Thanks for information on socket covers
    pen-turner. Will read it properly later and make decision on whether to leave them in or not once I’ve read info. It’s more the holes I’m trying to deter him from playing with as he doesn’t seem interested when they are covered over as he can’t see them ( out of sight :-D )

Why are they allowed to be sold if so dangerous? I often thought this about the “baby pillows” I saw being sold as they seem quite dangerous.

Thanks again!

pen-turner. Will read it properly later and make decision on whether to leave them in or not once I’ve read info. It’s more the holes I’m trying to deter him from playing with as he doesn’t seem interested when they are covered over as he can’t see them ( out of sight :-D )

Why are they allowed to be sold if so dangerous? I often thought this about the “baby pillows” I saw being sold as they seem quite dangerous.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement

Sheepdish1 wrote: »

Thanks again!

no problem.
    i dont know why they are still for sale. surely a safety divice should add a layer of safety or at least leave it equally safe but they things over ride the inbuilt safety designed into them and make them more dangerous.

it doesnt make sense.

make sure to look at the videos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

take those plug socket covers off imedietly. i mean now. right now.
    they are the most dangerous things imaginable. all they do is make it easier to put stuff into the socket.they actually over ride the safety systems inside our sockets . i dont know how they are allowed to be sold.

check out this website that has been campaigning to get them banned
    http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/

ya its nearly impossible for a baby to harm thems selvses on a socket.

although with older kids its possible.

years ago i was in the gaeltacht and met this lad, he was great craic but completely daft, he told me a story of something he had done whe he was 12. he was sitting on the floor of his bedroom charging up a remote controlled car he had whilst eating his lunch, which on the day in question was a bowl of soup. somehow whilst messing with the toy car the charging lead fell in his bowl of soup so he took it out and stuck it in his mouth to lick it clean of the soup.
    he reckoned the shock he got it nearly killed him. of course my sister who was also in the gaeltacht took to going out with him!!

farmchoice wrote: »
    ya its nearly impossible for a baby to harm thems selvses on a socket.

although with older kids its possible.

years ago i was in the gaeltacht and met this lad, he was great craic but completely daft, he told me a story of something he had done whe he was 12. he was sitting on the floor of his bedroom charging up a remote controlled car he had whilst eating his lunch, which on the day in question was a bowl of soup. somehow whilst messing with the toy car the charging lead fell in his bowl of soup so he took it out and stuck it in his mouth to lick it clean of the soup.
    he reckoned the shock he got it nearly killed him. of course my sister who was also in the gaeltacht took to going out with him!!

i agree its almost imosible to hurt yourself on a normal socket but its a lot easier with one of those yoke involved.

you cannot underestimate how stupid some people can be

Advertisement