Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High absenteeism rate in Dublin Airport Security

Options
  • 02-08-2019 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

https://fora.ie/dublin-airport-security-ryanair-4747329-Jul2019/

Fora reports that Ryanair claims that absenteeism at Dublin is unacceptable.
    What is the truth?
    In the report the DAA don't give percentages to refute the allegation.

Apart from one snotty security wagon and one pedant I can't critcize those working in Security roles facing the public in the airport whom I have interacted with but then again I don't interact with those who phone in sick day after day after day.

Another point to ponder is how would Ryanair know? I can only assume aggrieved Colleagues complain about those who don't pull their weight and Ryanair overhear and use to their advantage.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Nothing can really be said about this other than there no substance to it !! How many times have we been here before with Ryanair!! They just mouth off about crap that suits them and never really back it up, and they don’t need to either the media just lap up any old Sh1t{ they sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I have worked in the airport for long enough, going through the screening process usually at gate post 5 a couple of times a day...I can tell you the efficiency of the staff, their professionalism and friendliness is first class.

Also when using the airport when traveling the issue is generally not staffing, in either terminal but fûcking morons with liquids unbagged, over the limit, letting items that should be bagged like aerosols remain in their cases and all the fuçking messing that comes with that... funnily enough many would be traveling Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Strumms wrote: »
    I have worked in the airport for long enough, going through the screening process usually at gate post 5 a couple of times a day...I can tell you the efficiency of the staff, their professionalism and friendliness is first class.

Also when using the airport when traveling the issue is generally not staffing, in either terminal but fûcking morons with liquids unbagged, over the limit, letting items that should be bagged like aerosols remain in their cases and all the fuçking messing that comes with that... funnily enough many would be traveling Ryanair.

Part of the problem is how they deal with these people. I've often been stuck in the queue behind one of these "morons" while the security agent starts helping them rearrange the contents of their bags because they're too lazy or stupid to follow the basic rules.
    I'm not talking about elderly people who might not be fully aware of the rules, or people who need help but once someone hasn't got to the belt with everything fully sorted they should be immediately removed from the queue and sent to one side until they're fully ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Can't fault the staff in Dublin, it ranks as one of the most efficient and professional. Its just a pity in T1 numerous belts are idle at peak.

Go to LHR T5 and its dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I have to say, Dublin airport security is usually quite efficient. But there really should be a lane for the special people of this world. "But that's water," was my favourite response to an agent who told a lady no liquids were allowed in her bag.

• Advertisement

Nijmegen wrote: »
    I have to say, Dublin airport security is usually quite efficient. But there really should be a lane for the special people of this world. "But that's water," was my favourite response to an agent who told a lady no liquids were allowed in her bag.

As well as fast track there needs to be a ..’hello, I’ve a hole in my brain track’

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

T5 I've never queued for that long in LHR but OK

T2 dublin still using those ancient tiny trays when most airports have moved to the other types of trays (like T1 has) you can see it slowing things down

T1s belts dont go fast enough and they dont manage the queues with footprints like LGW and LCY do ( and in LCYs case with massively less space ) ... and as said above they cant bother to staff more than a quarter of the machines even at peak

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've never understood the queuing system at xrays in airports. People wait until they get to the roller and boxes, then have a brain fade, then faff around taking stuff off and rooting through bags, and then eventually they are ready to put their stuff on the roller and walk through. Meanwhile everyone behind them is going mad with the delays.

Have a separate area where people can do the dance of the gob****e, and then let them carry their stuff over to the xray machine when they are eventually ready. Anyone who is moderately aware of their surroundings will surely go through a lot quicker as a consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

coins, wallet, phone into daysack
    belt, laptop, toothpaste bag in the basket, then put daysack in basket 2, party on through

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I just came through security in Malaga today and it was a poxy curse. Long queues and staff who don't make eye contact with you when talking (in Spanish) so you don't know what the hell they are on about, you just think that they are having one of their on-the-job long chats. Then they held up the whole line of people after the x-ray to check some poxy lady's bag when they should have taken it off to the side (to remove her 7 poxy expensive bottles of beauty serum, or whatever).
    I then arrived into Dublin and encountered the immigration desk staff in T1 of which 6 out of 6 were on mobile phones when I approached. I suppose it's better than the time when I arrived and three staff members were having a loud conversation about how drunk they were the night before and how one passed out. It nearly caused me to run to an exit to cause an evacuation so that arriving visitors would not hear it.... ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

DAA haven't provided figures.
    It is a key metric that any HR professional would be monitoring and should be to hand.

There is evidence to suggest that there was a a historic problem with absenteeism in general in Dublin Airport;
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/sick-days-and-creche-are-targeted-in-airport-cost-cuts-26440908.html

The quickest way to nip Ryanair's sniping in the bud would be to publish actual figures for absenteeism which prove there isn't a problem with high volumes of absenteeism.

For me the worst part of any travelling experience is navigating the airport. Once I'm on the plane irrespective of the carrier the ear buds go in(when allowed) and the Novel is opened. Navigating the airport and longer queues at security is the unpleasant part of the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Coming back through an Eastern European airport last year where the security is carried out at each gate I was stuck briefly behind a guy who had three large jars of pasta sauce in his carry-on bag.
    The security people told him it wasn't allowed and he started ranting that it wasn't a liquid/gel, and he should be allowed take it on, I want to speak to a supervisor etc.
    The security guards politely asked him to accompany them to the side so they could deal with him separately while the rest of us were processed.
    They spent the next twenty minutes going through every single item in his case, and going through the regulations on a laminated sheet line by line before eventually clearing him to join us, minus his three jars of pasta sauce....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hmmm wrote: »
    I've never understood the queuing system at xrays in airports. People wait until they get to the roller and boxes, then have a brain fade, then faff around taking stuff off and rooting through bags, and then eventually they are ready to put their stuff on the roller and walk through. Meanwhile everyone behind them is going mad with the delays.

It's like when people complain to the bus driver about how long they have been waiting and then they go and route in their bag/purse/wallet for the fare when asked for it by the bus driver, you're getting a bus and while standing waiting you get your change ready not after you get on the bus complaining about the delays when you are the cause of them.

hmmm wrote: »
    Have a separate area where people can do the dance of the gob****e, and then let them carry their stuff over to the xray machine when they are eventually ready. Anyone who is moderately aware of their surroundings will surely go through a lot quicker as a consequence.

The only issue with this is that moron's who hold up the queues will still hold up the queues regardless of how many audible and visual reminders they have that they need to prepare for security, putting in a separate desk will just mean they delay twice instead of once.

Again...

Trousers / pants / skirt / dress that don’t need a belt..
    No jewelry barring wedding / engagement rings..
    You can BUY water in an airport so no need to bring it..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Strumms wrote: »
    Again...

Trousers / pants / skirt / dress that don’t need a belt..
    No jewelry barring wedding / engagement rings..
    You can BUY water in an airport so no need to bring it..

Aye and the number of people who don't understand you are only allowed one see thru bag of <100ml liquids drives me mad. The rules are the same everywhere, you are not special, you have to follow the same rules as everyone else even if your L'Oreal anti aging cream cost €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Also we might have high absenteeism among DAA employees, but their average process time through security stacks up well in comparison to most airports imo. TSA checks in the US take forever, Heathrow's queues are always massive. Dublin is usually in the 5-15 min range if you pick the right queue. Depending on the time of your flight going via T2 for a T1 flight is often a very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Always happens me I'm in the cue moving well. Then security open a new lane which doubles back and slowest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I have being going through both post 4 and pax terminals at Dub from when the Airport police manned the checks, Never had any issues with the staff apart from the odd knob but less face it you get one every where.

The year I went to the US for flight training was an eye opener though you had security shouting and screaming at us pax including kids, Which was a bit much.
    My mate when based in STN reckoned they were by far the worst to deal with, But as others mentioned the people that just rock up to the security screening without having their personnel belongings ready for examination is a pain in the hole.

Stansted is just a beyond crap airport... for every reason thinkable the security being the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The latest tech doesn't require anything to be removed from your bags, fantastic

Only a matter of time before Dublin gets the new scanners and we can return to pre 9/11 experience of turf bag and coat on the belt and collect on far side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

What Dublin Airport needs to commit to is the new Scanners that they have in Schipol. Leave everything in the bag and just walk through. UK Airports ordered to use them by 2022 - Heathrow has already started.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/25/uk-airports-ordered-to-use-3d-baggage-scanners-by-2022

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Lots of people have noted that you can get stuck behind people who don't understand the rules. In Birmingham airport a few years ago, I saw two female Asian airport employees discreetly pulling over Asian women before they entered the security area to remind them of the rules about liquids and suggesting they put chunky jewellery in their bags before walking through the scanner. There's a huge Asian population in the catchment area and a lot of the older folk would be infrequent flyers. Based on the number of makeup bottles and cans I saw abandoned on the table, the staff were definitely doing a good job.

Advertisement