Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thru axle trailer part / question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Yeah you most likely need to buy a new thru axle that'll allow you to connect the trailer arm. I'd to do the same with my MTB, let me see if my specs matched yours and I can point you in the exact direction.

So mine had a 1.5mm thread rather than your 1mm, otherwise everything else seems to match.

I got in touch with the guys at Robert Axle project who make these specific thru axles to take bike trailers and they confirmed the exact one that I'd need, which was ref KID214. Bear in mind that had the 1.5mm thread - I ordered from SJS cycles in the UK. Really good customer service btw, they got onto the trailer manufacturer checking suitability etc for me. The one I got is here.

Anyway, find out here which axle you need. Email them for comfirmation if needed. It'll have a code like KID214 (my one) or KID213, which I think could be the one you need.

Then the guys at SJS should be able to sort you out. Reply here if you need more on it.

Finally, that I'm aware of there isn't a cheaper way out of this - I spent a lot of time looking into this at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Thats amazing info thanks a lot!!

I ordered what I thought was the right part, with spacers it is the right length, but the threads are longer, I’m new to thru axles / disc brakes - do I need to return this or is it ok to use a longer thread ?

Threads side by side

• Advertisement

Do you mean the thread spacing is different or just the thread length?

The 1.0 measurement refers to thread spacing, so this is the first one that must match before you go further. It's hard to tell from the pics but I think that matches?

Then the new one looks like the threaded part of the axle is nearly twice as long as the old one - I presume this is what you're referrign to as thread length? But that doesn't matter at all (afaik) once thread spacing is ok and the overall length of the axle plus spacers is ok.

Edit: so basically - if thread spacing and axle shaft length match then you should be on to a winner!

Thanks yes that’s what I meant, the amount of threaded part is longer, but overall with the spacers in the axle is the same length and the same width as original, so will give it a go! Thanks

Do you mean the thread spacing is different or just the thread length?

The 1.0 measurement refers to thread spacing, so this is the first one that must match before you go further. It's hard to tell from the pics but I think that matches?

Then the new one looks like the threaded part of the axle is nearly twice as long as the old one - I presume this is what you're referrign to as thread length? But that doesn't matter at all (afaik) once thread spacing is ok and the overall length of the axle plus spacers is ok.

Edit: so basically - if thread spacing and axle shaft length match then you should be on to a winner!

Just to confirm when I say thread spacing I mean the gap between each thread, which should be 1mm. Is that the same? If unsure print out the guide from the Robert Axle Project website and place both of them on it. That's what absolutely needs to match - I already assumed shaft thickness matched and could see that the length matched also.

Assuming that's all good I think you're set!

Thanks again - yep so the gaps look the same and it is a 1.0 description so think i'm good to go!

Cool, let me know if it works!

• Advertisement
Advertisement