Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private builders selling to the council , now at least half.

• 02-08-2019 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I work for a large house building company , I can tell you now that private sales are slowed to a crawl, however there is no shortage of the county council picking up the slack. When I started a few years ago it was 10% of the development was allocated for social housing, then it was 20 now it is literally 66%. I will not name the location or the building company but this is going on. There cannot be an endless amount of funds for social housing but I must say if I were one of those people who have paid full price for their house I would be sick. This is not anecdotal btw I am working on these units and see it every day. I am not saying that there should not be social housing but we are going about the wrong way, when I have talked to the builders the attitude is " we build em we don't care who buys em". It is also impossible to know if you as a purchaser are going to end up surrounded by people who pay virtually nothing for the same house as yours.

Btw these are luxury finished houses , 2 3 and even 4 bed with high standard finish. I just think it isn't right.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

It isnt right but the government have been backed into a hole with all the whinging about homelessness etc. Its not going to help matters when the next recession arrives, in fact its doing plenty to hasten it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Bullsh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

I work for a large house building company , I can tell you now that private sales are slowed to a crawl, however there is no shortage of the county council picking up the slack. When I started a few years ago it was 10% of the development was allocated for social housing, then it was 20 now it is literally 66%. I will not name the location or the building company but this is going on. There cannot be an endless amount of funds for social housing but I must say if I were one of those people who have paid full price for their house I would be sick. This is not anecdotal btw I am working on these units and see it every day. I am not saying that there should not be social housing but we are going about the wrong way, when I have talked to the builders the attitude is " we build em we don't care who buys em". It is also impossible to know if you as a purchaser are going to end up surrounded by people who pay virtually nothing for the same house as yours.

Btw these are luxury finished houses , 2 3 and even 4 bed with high standard finish. I just think it isn't right.

Please tell me where! I'm currently buying and I'd rather live at the bottom of a hole the live beside someone on the dole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Outrage...disgust...blah blah more outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 No longer eat meat

Darc19 wrote: »
    Bullsh1t

No this is happening and not only where I work but everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

... This is not anecdotal btw...

It is the literal definition of anecdotal.

El Weirdo wrote: »

It is I know but all I can say is what I am witnessing personally so it's a no win scenario.

My fears are for the longer term it is no sustainable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

El Weirdo wrote: »

It is I know but all I can say is what I am witnessing personally so it's a no win scenario.

Long term doesn’t matter. There’s a bottomless pot of money that can be spent on d’people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

Hello brand new poster. I call BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Never mind them OP, everyone hates a whistle-blower.

• Advertisement

kikilarue2 wrote: »

Hi I am yes a brand new poster ,I don't normally get involved in internet discussions but i don't know where else I can get my concerns across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Literally 66%

Well that settles that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Most CC's seem to have a historical limit of about 20% social housing in an estate, however, this is being, in some cases gotten around by housing charities buying stock and then housing people who are on the housing list, so in reality the actual percentage can be a lot higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

How do you know who the builders are selling to? Do they normally keep their staff appraised of this information?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

kikilarue2 wrote: »

You have some neck.
    Youre never off boards, and throw in some spoofing now and then. Re reg troll.

Reported and blocked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

14dMoney wrote: »
    Please tell me where! I'm currently buying and I'd rather live at the bottom of a hole the live beside someone on the dole!

:confused::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Apparently house price growth is slowing down, prices could be even falling. Maybe councils pay more.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/going-down-property-prices-cool-as-affordability-bites-1.3973198?mode=amp

Sardonicat wrote: »
    How do you know who the builders are selling to? Do they normally keep their staff appraised of this information?

When the council are taking the houses they fit them with a certain finish in addition to the builders finish so it is quite obvious which houses are sold privately and which go to the council.
    For example all council houses will get fully carpeted upstairs and landing and all will get the same type of laminate flooring downstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Councils buying 66% of a private estate development, could you not have made the story at least somewhat feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

OP go out and get some sun, school is only a few weeks away.

• Advertisement

Councils buying 66% of a private estate development, could you not have made the story at least somewhat feasible.

All I know is what I am witnessing. Each road has more and more council houses than the previous one, it used to be a few houses dotted around the site, now it is most of them, I am called to do snags in the houses so I know which are from private surveyors and which are from the The County Council clerk of works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

I don’t know why the government bother buying houses and putting people in them.

No one believes they are doing anything anyway so might aswell not bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Is this a project 2040 thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

biko wrote: »
    Never mind athem OP, everyone hates a whistle-blower.
    Noisy feckers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Wonder how long it will take for this bull**** thread to get nuked?

anyway I have no solutions but it just seems wrong and that’s all I can say

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is this in Ballsbridge OP?

Is this in Ballsbridge OP?

Not in my case but from talking to other building workers it seems to be happening everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Check out the documentary on channel 4 with that guy that done the award winning sheds etc.....

He does a very good piece on the social housing and how it's gone from actual very decent size and good looking houses(homes) compared to the units they are pushing now....

Huge office blocks are been changed into housing units and cube like little boxes are hubs for housing....

100 years since the British were building well over 150k to 250k houses a year back when the country actually had no money....

Thing is I took on board a lot of what he had to say and it's true building all these high rises and tiny dumps sandwiched together will cost more through mental health, anti social, drug issues etc etc.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Pity we didn't follow the British example of high rise welfare flats.

Dublin could have looked like Glasgow now.

Advertisement