Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private builders selling to the council , now at least half.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Is this in Ballsbridge OP?

Nope, I think it's the new tenements behind Pat Kenny :D

Now wouldn't that be interesting!

I work for a large house building company , I can tell you now that private sales are slowed to a crawl, however there is no shortage of the county council picking up the slack. When I started a few years ago it was 10% of the development was allocated for social housing, then it was 20 now it is literally 66%. I will not name the location or the building company but this is going on. There cannot be an endless amount of funds for social housing but I must say if I were one of those people who have paid full price for their house I would be sick. This is not anecdotal btw I am working on these units and see it every day. I am not saying that there should not be social housing but we are going about the wrong way, when I have talked to the builders the attitude is " we build em we don't care who buys em". It is also impossible to know if you as a purchaser are going to end up surrounded by people who pay virtually nothing for the same house as yours.

Btw these are luxury finished houses , 2 3 and even 4 bed with high standard finish. I just think it isn't right.

Gee. I thought that houses weren’t being built! Good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 No longer eat meat

Gee. I thought that houses weren’t being built! Good to hear.

Oh listen I’m glad of the work don’t get me wrong but it’s obviously unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I work in the property industry myself and I would well believe what he is saying. The council are buying up a serious amount of property both new and second hand, usually overpaying for it.

Its sickening and a direct insult to the ordinary hardworking taxpayer in this country but I wouldnt expect any less from Varadkar, Murphy & co.

Roll on the next general election, so much for helping the people who get up early in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Private sales have slowed

The money tap has been turned off

Recession incoming

That’s the most interesting thing about the OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Private sales have slowed

The money tap has been turned off

Recession incoming

That’s the most interesting thing about the OP

Money hasnt been turned off, ordinary working citizens are being priced out of getting starter homes by who other than the government so they can portray themselves as media darlings again. People who often have never put in a hard days work in their lifes are being rewarded. Sends out a great message to our youth doesnt it?

Varadkar, Harris, Murphy to name a few have all shown themselves to be seriously out of their depth and very quick to overspend on taxpayers money. Completely inexperienced, arrogant & full of sh*t are a few words I would use to describe them. I can't believe it but they have even made Fianna Fail start to look good.

The sooner Brexit goes through the better so we can get rid of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved from AH > CA

Darc19 wrote: »
    Bullsh1t
    kikilarue2 wrote: »
    Hello brand new poster. I call BS.
    Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    You have some neck.
    Youre never off boards, and throw in some spoofing now and then. Re reg troll.

Reported and blocked!
    OP go out and get some sun, school is only a few weeks away.
    Wonder how long it will take for this bull**** thread to get nuked?

If you have suspicions about a thread, use Report Post to bring it to the mods attention. There is no need to fill up the thread with useless posts.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Check out the documentary on channel 4 with that guy that done the award winning sheds etc.....

The social housing in Vienna was amazing. That's how it should be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pity we didn't follow the British example of high rise welfare flats.

Dublin could have looked like Glasgow now.

We did. We built them after the UK had stopped; and we replaced them when we realised they didn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Swimming pools, theater and halls and just a place that's actually nearly like a hotel is the way Vienna does it ... Have to say it would do wonders but the only issue is the ones that work and pay for everything need to be looked after too.

IIRC from the show, the public housing was available to people earning up to €50k / year. That’s a huge amount of people who benefit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

dudara wrote: »
    IIRC from the show, the public housing was available to people earning up to €50k / year. That’s a huge amount of people who benefit

Very true....

It's now and has been for quite some time easier passing it on to the private sector which in turn is eager costs us the tax payer more in the end.

I was renting 7 years and half of that was basically going towards paying for someone else to live for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Between the council buying up all the 2nd hand houses and agencies like Cluid (?) taking up new homes I totally agree with the op..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

dudara wrote: »

In Dublin you can earn up to €42,000 and still be eligible for social housing ,
    If you get a large claim payout it's completely disregarded so you could earn up to 42,000 and have 50-100,000 in claims sitting in your bank but still be eligible for social housing

Not surprised, but very interested, if this is the reality once more. Déjà vu. Back in 2002, if anybody remembers, the then Environment Minister Martin Cullen scrapped the condition that 20% of all housing in a development had to be social housing and instead permitted developers to buy their way out of that 20% by handing money over to the local authority. Developers delighted. Fast forward 8 years and many of the same developers went cap in hand to the local authority asking for them to purchase that 20%, delighted that there was such a social housing 20%.

Anyway, around 2010 I remember the two buckos who owned that puffed-up "concierge living" complex in Stillorgan, The Grange, were among these erstwhile "no social housing" developers who suddenly turned into "social housing, bail me out" bankrupt developers so the people who paid astronomical money for their apartments in 2006 were then living next to a sizeable number of social housing recipients.

How convenient that our laws are designed to suit the interests of developers; 'let the market decide when times are good, but let the taxpayer bail us out when times are bad'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I work for a large house building company , I can tell you now that private sales are slowed to a crawl, however there is no shortage of the county council picking up the slack. When I started a few years ago it was 10% of the development was allocated for social housing, then it was 20 now it is literally 66%. I will not name the location or the building company but this is going on. There cannot be an endless amount of funds for social housing but I must say if I were one of those people who have paid full price for their house I would be sick. This is not anecdotal btw I am working on these units and see it every day. I am not saying that there should not be social housing but we are going about the wrong way, when I have talked to the builders the attitude is " we build em we don't care who buys em". It is also impossible to know if you as a purchaser are going to end up surrounded by people who pay virtually nothing for the same house as yours.

Btw these are luxury finished houses , 2 3 and even 4 bed with high standard finish. I just think it isn't right.

They should only buy from market in an emergency. Its criminal in my view to waste tax payer money in buying instead of hiring to build our own as par for the course.

These practises help keep the market high, making it tougher for the tax payer who in turn ends up needed a dig out, so we need more subsidised housing ot in extreme situations hotels. The tax payer is being rode to keep private concerns in business.
    We can't blame tax payers who need a home availing of hand outs when they've no choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

They should only buy from market in an emergency. Its criminal in my view to waste tax payer money in buying instead of hiring to build our own as par for the course.

These practises help keep the market high, making it tougher for the tax payer who in turn ends up needed a dig out, so we need more subsidised housing ot in extreme situations hotels. The tax payer is being rode to keep private concerns in business.
    We can't blame tax payers who need a home availing of hand outs when they've no choice.

Who can the government hire to build houses when there is a shortage of every trades person especially if it’s not for profit?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Well I can tell you now that the Council has at least 5 houses in our estate at present, and at least 3 of these have been bought in the last few years. All four bed semi-detached houses, with selling prices of 300k +...sometimes 350k+, all privately owned (it's an estate about 20+ years old). And yeah, I am p87sed off. We all go out every morning to work and pay for our houses, but for some reason the Council see fit to hand over 250/300k of taxpayer money (problem no. 1), "refurbish" the house to their guidelines (problem no. 2 - more money, and at least 1 of these houses has been perfect inside), and hand it to people to live in for free.

It is so unpolitically correct to say it, but it really gets under my skin.As best I can figure it, when estates are Social housing (or whatever) i think I can kind of accept they are all built a certain way, you get what you get and that's it. But when a Council is stepping into a private market, paying taxpayer money to give a house to people for free when I am working my ass off for the exact same house - no, it really annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

shesty wrote: »
    Well I can tell you now that the Council has at least 5 houses in our estate at present.......

But when a Council is stepping into a private market, paying taxpayer money to give a house to people for free when I am working my ass off for the exact same house - no, it really annoys me.
    I posted the same thing about 6 months ago, but the usual deniers on here were saying it ain't so ..................... you know, because we are not telling the truth.
    I had family members priced out of our local town by the council. Each time they tried to buy, the council stepped in and paid more. So the family members who work in this town now have to commute in for from the country in order to work and to bring the children to school. The people who got the houses from the council right smack in town were Roma Gypsies, adult offspring of a couple who spent their lives on the dole, and African refugees.

It is such a ludicrous concept to grasp, but I think we are becoming immune to these types of illogical government policies. There are mutterings now that people are getting so fed up of being priced out of affordable homes near their workplace that they planning to emigrate. The irony of it. They have to leave their country of birth to make room for people who do not want to work and economic migrants who are declaring themselves homeless as soon as they get here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Kivaro wrote: »
    I posted the same thing about 6 months ago, but the usual deniers on here were saying it ain't so ..................... you know, because we are not telling the truth.
    I had family members priced out of our local town by the council. Each time they tried to buy, the council stepped in and paid more. So the family members who work in this town now have to commute in for from the country in order to work and to bring the children to school. The people who got the houses from the council right smack in town were Roma Gypsies, adult offspring of a couple who spent their lives on the dole, and African refugees.

It is such a ludicrous concept to grasp, but I think we are becoming immune to these types of illogical government policies. There are mutterings now that people are getting so fed up of being priced out of affordable homes near their workplace that they planning to emigrate. The irony of it. They have to leave their country of birth to make room for people who do not want to work and economic migrants who are declaring themselves homeless as soon as they get here.

If that's true and I don't doubt that it is, it's absolutely disgusting carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I understand the anger If this is happening. Working people should pack in their jobs, that will get the governments attention, then get the council to house them, if people did that it might send out a message to our government to wake up and do things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

This is happening right across the country. In my local area going by information gathered from reliable sources the figure is 1 in 3 of all houses sold are being purchased by the local authority. With prices up to 400k being paid.

No media outlet is reporting on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Kivaro wrote: »

What is the benefit to the Government of such policy? Is it to sort buddies/donators out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Anyone know if it is possible to write to your local council under freedom of information to request the number of council owned homes in a given area?
    Not to identify the houses but to know how many are bought by the council in, say the last 5 years?
    Is that information available if one were to write under FOI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    What is the benefit to the Government of such policy? Is it to sort buddies/donators out?

Votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Votes.

It can't just be votes though? No offence to the target market of social housing but a good sized cohort (not all) of them are not politically astute as opposed to the class who are getting shafted by such arrangements (The class of people that get up early in the morning that Leo said he would look after).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It can't just be votes though? No offence to the target market of social housing but a good sized cohort (not all) of them are not politically astute as opposed to the class who are getting shafted by such arrangements (The class of people that get up early in the morning that Leo said he would look after).

Tinfoil hat on says as always with FG there is likely a more sinister motive. Could be the last sting of a dying wasp.
    It's weird Chiki.
    To me it's unfathomable to see what's happening in my home town. And it's a small town. I just can't imagine if you scale it up.

I think that the current government is overwhelmed by migration numbers and their policy of housing migrants and social welfare participants before working families is pricing workers and traditional couples out of the market. I totally understand that social welfare means a great deal more than those who do not want to work, but many of us on the ground are seeing non-contributors to our society getting houses/homes that should go to working couples/families. And it confuses us. What are we to think?

We want to be altruistic, but to what degree? To become homeless ourselves? And then we hear that Ireland is accepting migrants from Africa in a new resettlement program.

There is a breaking point ...... somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MilaM

If that's truth than the government is keeping the prices artificially high and pricing out private buyers from the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

When I started a few years ago it was 10% of the development was allocated for social housing, then it was 20 now it is literally 66%.

It isn't.

Not even the government spin machine are claiming such high numbers, they put it at 25%.

Which is spin in itself, that includes old builds and reconditioned current vacant stock.

Advertisement