Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard recommendations

Options
  • 02-08-2019 3:51pm

Hi all. Need to buy a keyboard and would love some recommendations. I have no real "must haves" at all. But I will rate my "Nice to haves" in order of priority.

Till now I was using the Microsoft Wireless 700 V2.0 and relatively happy with it as I am used to it for quite some time now for both gaming and programming work in my home office.

To replace it I bought a still boxed new keyboard - though quite an old model - for 12 euro which was not very quiet and actually did not work. The entire middle row often did not work at all. I dunno if it was broken on arrival or if maybe it is so old it is not compatible with Windows 10.

But it was a nice keyboard. The Raptor Gaming K3 it was. I liked that it had 5 programmable keys down each side - usable with alt - hence giving 20 programmable dedicated keys. If I could figure out why it is not working I would be happy with it as despite it being nosier than reviews suggested - it was otherwise perfect in every way!

High nice to haves

Windows 10 compatible.
    Quite as at all possible without total loss of tactility.
    Full size keyboard - none of your ultra space saving jobs - will full number bad and 6 key page up/down/delete/home/end section.
    Some profile on the keys as I like tactility. So no ultra thin. The MS 700 V2.0 was thin enough I think.
    Two space thickness on the Backspace key rather than one.

Medium nice to haves

Programmable dedicated keys like the Raptor K3 (the ability to reprogram standard keys is of no interest! I use them all as designed.)
    Dust and water resistance. Dust more so than water. Keyboards are a bugger to clean.

Low nice to haves

Any useful gaming features and (optional!) key lighting that can be turned on and off.
    Under 125 euro if possible, otherwise must be justifiable to exceed.
    Multimedia keys, specifically volume so I do not need to leave games or other full screen to adjust windows volume.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I went for the Gigabyte Force K83 with my new build, which fits your profile reasonably well. Lovely feel to the keys though not particularly quiet nor does it have any extra programmable keys. While I use it for programming, it is listed as a gaming keyboard and is heavy and hence very stable.

Following article may be of some interest; https://www.lifewire.com/best-computer-keyboards-4136226

Advertisement