Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from eir Sport/BT/Premier Sports

Options
  • 02-08-2019 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056889518&page=303

The message saying that I was banned said I was discussing a banned topic, nothing I said was even remotely like anything on that list. I have messaged asking which topic it was but the moderator is ignoring my messages.

The post on the fourm says "Banned. No discussion of moderation on thread" which not only is not on the list but isn't what happened, I talked about the mod as a poster, I was not taking about moderation.

The full story is that somebody posted something and the mod obviously by their reply did not grasp what they were saying so I replied in an attempt to explain the confusion, I then received a reply from the mod which again missed the point and was definitely an agitated reply to say the least, to which I said they needed to calm down because they clearly were not calm.

Then today I received a warning for swearing which was unwarranted as the mod has allowed swearing before (post 3920) I then pointed out to another poster that I received this because the mod didn't like me pointing out they missed a point after making a fool of themselves which is when I was ,unfairly, banned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Have you tried discussing this with the forum mod first? As outlined in the diagram above, that's the first step in this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I have tried to ask which banned topic I was talking about as that was the reason given for banning me but they have ignored my message.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You were only banned 2 hours ago. Give the mod time to respond. I would add though that simply asking about the ban is only the first step. Assuming they provide further details you would then need to go on and try and get the ban overturned through discussion with the mod before coming back here

They have been active multiple times since I sent the message and haven't even replied to my message and going by dealings others have had with them I'd be more optimistic of winning the euro millions than having a reasonable discussion with them nevermind coming to a resolution

Finally got a reply
    D14Rugby wrote:
    icdg wrote:
    Dear D14Rugby,

You have been banned from Cable & Digital TV for two days for posting about a forbidden topic.

There are some things we don't allow discussion about on Boards.ie.

Please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

icdg

So which exact banned topic was it then?
    D14Rugby wrote:
    icdg wrote:
    Moderation.

Discussion of moderation is banned across Boards.ie - that is not a local rule in Cable&Digital. The proper course of action if dissatisfied with a moderator decision is to PM and if still not disatisfied to take it to the CMod or an Admin. You instead chose to chat about it on thread and that is why you have been banned for two days.

I don't believe I discussed moderation though. At worst I discussed you and you happen to be a moderator, that is very different.

• Advertisement

I would still like to pursue this as a complaint against the moderator who ignored my messages knowing that once the two days expired nothing would happen. This i suspect is a tactic this moderator has used before to get around their poor moderation skills being called out

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please note than an expired card will still be addressed. A delay in response from the mod does not stop or thwart this process. Do you wish to continue the appeal against the card?

I absolutely do.
    My point about getting around to it is if I had waited until I had failed to come to a resolution with the mod I'd still be waiting and unlikely to bother submitting this and I guess others wouldn't bother.

Thank you. I’ll notify a CMod now.

Thank you

• Advertisement

Sorry to keep you waiting on this DR.

In order to move it along, I can offer you an alternative.

One of the Admins can take the role of CMod and review the ban for you. You will still have the right of appeal to an Admin if the CMod review is not satisfactory to you. A different Admin will perform that review, if needed.

Is this acceptable to you?

dudara wrote: »
    Sorry to keep you waiting on this DR.

In order to move it along, I can offer you an alternative.

One of the Admins can take the role of CMod and review the ban for you. You will still have the right of appeal to an Admin if the CMod review is not satisfactory to you. A different Admin will perform that review, if needed.

Is this acceptable to you?

Yeah that is perfectly acceptable thank you

Great, I'll get one of the team to look at it now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I shall act as CMod . Please bear with me as I need to familiarise myself with the details. I hope to get back to you later today

Thanks

Can I clarify one thing, as the repeated reference to a "mod" in your posts may lead to some confusion

In the thread a mod from another forum posted this:
    TCP/IP wrote: »
    Agree with you would be great if it did.
    Same with Eleven sports as well that needs to also die and quickly. Only company with pockets deep enough to go head to head with Sky are the likes of Apple/Netflix/Amazon.
    Just to make it absolutely clear that although they are a moderator, that has no bearing within this particular forum. The poster should be treated like any other user in the forum

In response to that post you posted
    D14Rugby wrote: »
    "it would be great if an Irish company went bust" yeah **** right off

The forum mod then posted
    icdg wrote: »
    Less of the language D14Rugby, I don’t care if it’s expressed in stars

There was a bit more commentary before you then posted:
    Yeah because calling people out for hoping an Irish company goes bust, resulting in the loss of Irish jobs is so childish, and swear words are really truly hurtful to say, you never ever see them anywhere on the internet, never mind god forbid hear them, don't think my poor ears could take that.

Mod's just pissed I pointed out they completely missed someones point after they went on their huge rant.
    Can you please confirm which mod you were referring to here? The one who is a mod of another forum and you told to "**** off" or the mod who instructed you to watch the language? If the latter, what was the "huge rant" you were referring to?

Thanks

Beasty wrote: »
    Can I clarify one thing, as the repeated reference to a "mod" in your posts may lead to some confusion

In the thread a mod from another forum posted this:

Just to make it absolutely clear that although they are a moderator, that has no bearing within this particular forum. The poster should be treated like any other user in the forum

In response to that post you posted

The forum mod then posted

There was a bit more commentary before you then posted:

Can you please confirm which mod you were referring to here? The one who is a mod of another forum and you told to "**** off" or the mod who instructed you to watch the language? If the latter, what was the "huge rant" you were referring to?

Thanks

The poster I called mod was the mod in the forum, icdg.

This is the rant
    It *is* their 4K service, with a new name. There’s some hope given in this press release that it may down the road come to Sky.

http://sport.bt.com/news/bt-sport-launches-new-ultimate-channel-as-early-kick-off-joins-new-look-saturday-live-programming-line-up-S11364381078124

It’s not available here because, at present, it’s not available on any platform other than BT Vision and Virgin Media UK. BT Vision isn’t available here and Virgin Media Ireland has their own issues with BT Sport in general (not the 4K channel in particular)It’s not the case that it is available to Sky customers in the UK - it isn’t - and there’s a particular issue about Ireland.

If it becomes available to Sky customers in the UK, I would expect it to become available to Sky customers in Ireland too.

It was completely out of proportion to what they were replying to.

Thanks

My reading of both of those posts is icdg was not posting as a mod, which does to some extent support the position you are adopting in this appeal. Just to make one thing clear for your own benefit, discussion of moderation is specifically prohibited in the forum charter. I think though the specific point here is you were referring to them as a "mod" in the context of both the post you referred to as a "rant" but also in the context of the mod warning that had been issued (and posted in bold, quoted above)

Could you also please confirm if the PM exchange with the mod you posted earlier in the thread is the complete discussion you had over this?

Thanks

My reading of both of those posts is icdg was not posting as a mod, which does to some extent support the position you are adopting in this appeal. Just to make one thing clear for your own benefit, discussion of moderation is specifically prohibited in the forum charter. I think though the specific point here is you were referring to them as a "mod" in the context of both the post you referred to as a "rant" but also in the context of the mod warning that had been issued (and posted in bold, quoted above)

Could you also please confirm if the PM exchange with the mod you posted earlier in the thread is the complete discussion you had over this?

Yeah I get that, I just said mod as I was replying via mobile so couldn't see their name.

Yeah that's the full conversation, they never replied to my last message.

OK, I think the way things were worded has led to some confusion, and I can accept you were not discussing moderation itself

However there is another point I would like to raise here. The use of foul language is not in itself against site rules, and as you know there is a swear filter in operation

However the way in which you used foul language in this case (telling another poster to "**** right off") is personal abuse. It may be the mod did not pick it up as such, but it's very clear to me, and I would have expected some sanction to be applied for that

Do you accept your terminology was abusive towards another user?

The mod has previously ignored swearing and I don't think telling someone to "**** right off" is personal abuse, its a word, its not derogatory or racist or anything like that, it's just a word, and in the context of someone saying that they hope people lose their jobs i think it was a perfectly proportionate response to the comment it was replying to. Its just a word at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

If I see anyone telling someone else to "**** off" in any forums I have modded I have always considered that personal abuse and sanctioned. The use of the "****" in itself is not the issue, it's the way in which it's used in this case.

If someone sends a message like that to a mod via PM it's a minimum one month siteban. I'm not suggesting that in this case, but I would like your acceptance that it is abusive and assurance that you will avoid using that terminology towards other users going forward

If I see anyone telling someone else to "**** off" in any forums I have modded I have always considered that personal abuse and sanctioned. The use of the "****" in itself is not the issue, it's the way in which it's used in this case.

If someone sends a message like that to a mod via PM it's a minimum one month siteban. I'm not suggesting that in this case, but I would like your acceptance that it is abusive and assurance that you will avoid using that terminology towards other users going forward

And I don't agree with that opinion at all so no I won't do that. It's just a word, this isn't primary school.

Very well. I would have considered overturning the ban if you had accepted you were being abusive with that comment (As I've already indicated the word itself is not the issue, it's the context in which it's used), and indicated you would not tell anyone to "**** off" or the like going forward. However if you do not accept that then I can just as easily inform you the ban stands, but primarily in connection with the personal abuse towards another user

that is not what the ban was for though. So obviously I want to appeal that

that is not what the ban was for though. So obviously I want to appeal that
    Very well - I had hoped we had a way of resolving this in your favour but clearly not. I will ask another Admin to review this

Given the time taken to deal with this I am putting a note on the OP's file that this ban is overturned in DRP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement