Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Widen entrance to garden

• 02-08-2019 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭

I've a house in Dublin in an older estate. The drive entrance is very narrow.
    I'd like to move the peer back about 1.5 ft..
    The estate is a cul de sac and most drives have already been widened.
    Do I need planning permission?
    The footpath would not need to be altered as the drop is already much larger than the entrance.

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Diemos wrote: »
    I've a house in Dublin in an older estate. The drive entrance is very narrow.
    I'd like to move the peer back about 1.5 ft..
    The estate is a cul de sac and most drives have already been widened.
    Do I need planning permission?
    The footpath would not need to be altered as the drop is already much larger than the entrance.

Thank you

Planning permission required to alter, widen a vehicular entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Ok, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

kceire wrote: »
    Planning permission required to alter, widen a vehicular entrance.

This gets the prize as the most ignored of all planning regulations, and one which is never enforced. My sister lives on a suburban road in Dublin. Virtually every house has widened their gateways - one is now just over 5 paces wide. When she was doing hers I told her to check if she needed planning. She spoke to neighbours, none of them had planning permission, so she just went ahead and did it.

JonathonS wrote: »
    This gets the prize as the most ignored of all planning regulations, and one which is never enforced. My sister lives on a suburban road in Dublin. Virtually every house has widened their gateways - one is now just over 5 paces wide. When she was doing hers I told her to check if she needed planning. She spoke to neighbours, none of them had planning permission, so she just went ahead and did it.

Will only become a problem when she goes to sell.
    The rules are not enforced as in, the council do not actively look for planning breaches. They act on complaints alone. All it takes is one complaint.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

JonathonS wrote: »

We obey the law in this forum. You’re around long enough to know that

Btw it can/has been/and is enforced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

BryanF wrote: »
    We obey the law in this forum. You’re around long enough to know that
    Absolutely. I never suggested otherwise. I am the most law-abiding person on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

Depending on the era of the estate it may not have been built with garden walls to the front at all. You'll know by looking at it if its a mix of varying types.

Lots of people build walls in these estates so realistically you are only removing a section of wall which was never covered by pp in the first place.

Eg some people plant hedging instead of walls, if I want to cut down 500mm/1m of my hedge I can ... (without pp).

Doop wrote: »
    Depending on the era of the estate it may not have been built with garden walls to the front at all. You'll know by looking at it if its a mix of varying types.

Lots of people build walls in these estates so realistically you are only removing a section of wall which was never covered by pp in the first place.

Eg some people plant hedging instead of walls, if I want to cut down 500mm/1m of my hedge I can ... (without pp).

Irrelevant. They would still need planning to alter or create the vehicular entrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

I have widened my entrance to fit two cars, can I now apply for retention of the work done or what way does it work ?

I have widened my entrance to fit two cars, can I now apply for retention of the work done or what way does it work ?

Yes you can apply for retention to keep the alterations and regularise the planning status of the site.

Where are you based?
    How wide is the entrance now?

If in Dublin City they will condition it to be reduced to 3.6m within 6 months. My partner has Got a few grants back with that condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Will only become a problem when she goes to sell.
    The rules are not enforced as in, the council do not actively look for planning breaches. They act on complaints alone. All it takes is one complaint.

Afaik enforcement would mean reinstating the pillar.

That is moving it back the small bit and putting blocks back in.

Cost, minimal ?

listermint wrote: »
    Afaik enforcement would mean reinstating the pillar.

That is moving it back the small bit and putting blocks back in.

Cost, minimal ?

Yes replacing pillar back to original.
    Build up wall and foundation.
    Possible disruption to the garden finish such as paving or concrete or other.
    Cost depending on existing setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Yes you can apply for retention to keep the alterations and regularise the planning status of the site.

Where are you based?
    How wide is the entrance now?

If in Dublin City they will condition it to be reduced to 3.6m within 6 months. My partner has Got a few grants back with that condition.

I am based in Limerick County, thank you for getting back to me., total opening is about 18 to 20 feet, I also live on
    a corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

If the surfaced estate road is less than 4 metres wide that you can get a Section 5 Exempted Development Approval, Article 9 (1)(a)(ii) of the Planning Regs

Czhornet wrote: »
    If the surfaced estate road is less than 4 metres wide that you can get a Section 5 Exempted Development Approval, Article 9 (1)(a)(ii) of the Planning Regs

There is no such thing as section 5 exempted development approval.
    A section 5 is an application you make to the council asking if these works as described require planning. If they say yes then you’ll still need a cert of exemption from a private sector professional, especially if you go to sell.

In the OP’s case, and in particular, many urban areas. There wouldn’t be many, if any at all public roads less than 4m in width.

Advertisement