Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sigma Homes question

Options
  • 02-08-2019 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭

Any one ever use them for a build?

Seem pretty slick, offer the full package design/planning/build etc. But dont strike me as cheap.
    Just wondering how much bang for ones buck does one get. Are they good value?

Met them for a chat, seem pretty decent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They love posting on FB and seem to know what they're doing. But ask plenty to look at your job, you could see big price differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 schofferhofer

I called their office once last year.
    They are only interested if the job is upwards of 150K or thereabouts.
    They also said they were booked for the next 2 years. I would have checked around Nov 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Cheers lads

The job is €150-200 ish pending final design.

Im wondering though, would my money go a lot further elsewhere, i.e. a what 200k with Sigma, would be 170k elsewhere. Or my money would get me a lot more elsewhere.

What i do like is they seem big on controlling costs, if you're minded to add extras, they'll tell you exactly what the budget will be, rather than getting hit with a big final bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

We had a house completely refurbished by Brian Malone. We found him excellent. He is a qualified engineer which is a real bonus. Emails and communications flowed from around 0630 to 2000 most days. We were given detailed lists of all the decisions we had to make in a timely fashion. Costings and options/tweaks to improve our bang for the buck provided. https://www.brianmaloneconstruction.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They also said they were booked for the next 2 years. I would have checked around Nov 2018.

Christ, some of their work looks like a 1 room addon and some refurbishment.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

gmf1024 wrote: »
    We had a house completely refurbished by Brian Malone. We found him excellent. He is a qualified engineer which is a real bonus. Emails and communications flowed from around 0630 to 2000 most days. We were given detailed lists of all the decisions we had to make in a timely fashion. Costings and options/tweaks to improve our bang for the buck provided. https://www.brianmaloneconstruction.ie/

Same here. Brian is fantastic. No hesitation recommending him.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

TheDriver wrote: »
    Christ, some of their work looks like a 1 room addon and some refurbishment.....

I googled them after reading this thread my YouTube account is being peppered with their adds since. Very active online presence makes me wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 schofferhofer

TheDriver wrote: »

signs of times i guess :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    the boom is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

WE used Titan Construction for an extension a few years ago and were very happy with their work

Dbu wrote: »
    WE used Titan Construction for an extension a few years ago and were very happy with their work

Seen them about. Have heard good things.
    Did you get many to price the job, how did they compare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

Seen them about. Have heard good things.
    Did you get many to price the job, how did they compare?

At the time (2013) we got 3 quotes. They were the most expensive, only 5k between all the quotes
    However the main guy Tom, was great to deal with, a nice guy and we felt comfortable to go with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Sigma and KMC Homes offer the same all-in package. Have a chat with KMC and see what they offer.

When comparing their prices with other builders such as Titan (I don't think they offer the all-in package) remember you need to factor in Engineering fees and planning (if required).

Sigma and KMC Homes offer the same all-in package. Have a chat with KMC and see what they offer.

When comparing their prices with other builders such as Titan (I don't think they offer the all-in package) remember you need to factor in Engineering fees and planning (if required).

Cheers Ron , must look at KMC

To be fair, theres a lot to be said for a 'one stop shop', where they'll design for your budget, rather than getting an architect to produce drawings, for a builder to price it and theres a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

For a relatively good build, you're looking in the region of €220/€250 a square foot (including VAT at 13.5%).

If it's an extension and a simple design just look for a structural engineer (small practice) they will be able to draw up plans and provide structural designs as well. Along with supervision and sign off. You may save some money and maybe worth investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DCD162

Would definitely agree with this. No doubt they are putting themselves out there as a premium brand and their end product is very good but they definitely charge you for the convenience of being a one-stop-shop.

Sometimes its best to pay the premium price however, as the saying goes - you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Agnes H

Hi. The original message here was regarding Sigma Homes. I'm looking at renovating in 2023 but am at a stage where i'm checking out who will design and build for me. Sigma Homes market themselves very well. Are they expensive ? Are they as good as they say they are in the youtube videos ? Have any of you used their services or sought quotes from them ? I would be grateful for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Agnes H wrote: »
    Hi. The original message here was regarding Sigma Homes. I'm looking at renovating in 2023 but am at a stage where i'm checking out who will design and build for me. Sigma Homes market themselves very well. Are they expensive ? Are they as good as they say they are in the youtube videos ? Have any of you used their services or sought quotes from them ? I would be grateful for advice.

From what I understand their book for 2021/22 is full. They are pretty much the best out there I believe. But I also understand that if the job is less than €100k they won’t be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Agnes H

Thanks for the reply. I won't be ready to build until 2023 so just looking at my options. My budget will be around €200,000. I'm wondering how far that would get me on a Sigma Project or if i'd get more bang for my buck with an alternative construction company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Greenlamp21

Thanks for the reply. I won't be ready to build until 2023 so just looking at my options. My budget will be around €200,000. I'm wondering how far that would get me on a Sigma Project or if i'd get more bang for my buck with an alternative construction company.

They did my extension in 2019, the whole process from walking into their office took a year.

They are expensive but they are really really good. If they say 16 weeks, it'll be 16 weeks. You do need to be aware that the initial cost will increase as it'll be priced low for kitchens etc but you'll add to it yourself.

If I was starting again I would absolutely use them again

Have a look at Absolute Construction Little Island , and P&T

Both were a bit cheaper than sigma, but seem to be a bit more than a builder and his brother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 lillydg

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Anyone out there use Linehan Construction for a project? I’m looking between Linehan and Sigma at the moment.

Advertisement