Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generator change over switch

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Reisers.. wrote: »
    Genset RCD providing ADS is upstream of changeover switch- ie upstream of any N-E link

That won't work, the RCD will trip.

Consumer RCDs are downstream of changeover switch at DBs- downstream of Neutralizing link

That will work.
    ET101:2008

Here is 411.4.3:

The overcurrent protective device for each circuit shall be selected and installed so that, if a fault of negligible impedance occurs between a line conductor and a protective conductor or an exposed conductive part, automatic disconnection of the supply will take place in accordance with the following:

ZL x Ia < or = Uo

Here is 411.4.5:

If the conditions of 41 1.4.3 cannot be fulfilled by overcurrent devices, supplementary local bonding shall be applied in accordance with 41 1.3.2.2. If this is impracticable, protection by automatic disconnection of supply shall be provided by means of an RCD.

^^^ What has this got to do with switching the neutral?
    ET210:2003 13.7

In the normal TN-C-S system,protection against electric shock in the case of a fault requires discoinnection by overcurrent protection.

If a fault should occur when an installation is being supplied by a standby generator ,the generator will normally not have the capacity to supply the value of current neccessary to cause tripping of the fuse or mcb within the prescribed times.

In such cases protection can only be provided by RCDs.

This protection should be arranged to come into effect ONLY whilst the installation is being supplied by the standby generator

I just looked at ET210:2003 this provides diagrams at the back of the book which shows exactly how generators should be connected. The most appropriate being figure 1 on page 25, titled “Typical TN system with standby synchronous generator" or figure 3 on page 27 titled "TN system remote standby synchronous generator". Both of these diagrams show:
    1) The neutral is unswitched.
    2) The "supply" neutral (from ESB) is common with the generator neutral.
    3) Only one neutraliziation point.
    4) The neutraliziation point is not at the genset.

None of the other diagrams are applicable as they are for TT, IT, paralleling multiple gensets etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

I’m a bit surprised at the level of discussion around this, as I would have assumed it is codified in the wiring rules!?

Does this mean there’s huge degrees of variation of installation practices for generators due to differing opinions of contractors ? Doesn’t sound ideal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I’m a bit surprised at the level of discussion around this, as I would have assumed it is codified in the wiring rules!?

It’s not detailed in rules, ET101:2008.
    The ETCI produced a code of practice for the installation of LV generators, ET210:2003. This provides wiring diagrams of various arrangements. My proposal I aligns with the applicable wiring diagram.
    Does this mean there’s huge degrees of variation of installation practices for generators due to differing opinions of contractors ? Doesn’t sound ideal.

I would think that this is the case.

However we all seem to agree that a permanently connected generator is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

They'd really want to make the rules a lot cleared though, particularly given the growth of things like residential-scale battery storage and micro generation.

Even with what looks like increasing frequency of serious storms due to climate change and the ever-increasing dependency on electricity (especially the lack of ability to heat homes without pumps, controls and so on even with gas/oil/wood pellets), I'd say the demand for back up generators in rural areas can only keep rising.

To be honest I don’t even know if ET210 is applicable anymore but in its absence there doesn’t appear to be anything to replace it. Either way it was written by experts.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Turnrew

Here we switch the phase/ line only

In he UK for TN they switch all the lives and link N-E at the generator

Advertisement