Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bord Bia audit

• 03-08-2019 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

We have a bord via inspection coming up soon and I have a few queries on some things. The baiting management programme, I used always just have a map of where on the farm the bait points were but the last inspector said we need a programme for inspection and replenishment in place. Any advice on this would be welcome, like how often should we be doing this , anybody got a draft plan?

Any good farm safety statements online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

I only had the map last week it did ok. Never heard of that what your on about. Look they have you fail you on something. If you get 100% you are then more likley to get an unannounced inspection. so 99% is better than 100% in this case if that makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

https://www.farmsafely.com/farmers/01_register.htm

above link should pass for farm safety

just mark the bait points on the map & number them then keep a sheet with the dates each 1 was (2-3 week Intervals)

I got a couple of record books from a Storm rep a few years ago don't if they still give them out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Had one recently, animal remedies is important. Make sure batch nos, withdrawal dates etc. match up with what's in the box.

Label the container for used sharps.

There's an online carbon footprint survey to be done. https://farm.bordbia.ie/Prepare.aspx

Fresh eye drops in the first aid box is no harm either, they go out of date.

The rat bait recording is new to me, we just have the map, showed inspector the bait box in the yard.

Receipt for plastic disposal.

Any spraying done/pesticides used need relevant pages filled in.

TBH you'd be better off asking someone local what they looked for as it seems to vary from place to place.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,982 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

On the back of the map you have for the bait points just fill in the dates you replenished the bait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Or tell them you use cats for keeping rats under control and get a prescription for worming the cats from your vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The way things are gone, l'll be wearing the ear off the inspector from the minute he comes in the gate. How bad things are gotten. Its a dead loss. Cutting numbers down to minimum etc. Probably go summer grazing and forget the quality assurance. Any talks of cutting back on inspectors etc?

Pass is in the bag.

Muckit wrote: »
    The way things are gone, l'll be wearing the ear off the inspector from the minute he comes in the gate. How bad things are gotten. Its a dead loss. Cutting numbers down to minimum etc. Probably go summer grazing and forget the quality assurance. Any talks of cutting back on inspectors etc?

Pass is in the bag.

Apparently your milk won't be collected if you're not bord bia quality assured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

whelan2 wrote: »

I have no milk bar what's in the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What I say to them is that I only put down bait when I see signs of rodents.
    Not a perfect answer but one they cant object to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

On my bait station map I just wrote down that the stations are inspected and replenished every fortnight. Passed on that

AFAIK from my last inspection I was told that they wont accept that cats will kill all the rodents anymore. Foolish really if this is the case. My bait points are only used for the inspection and cats do the work. Never a rat or mouse to be seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    On my bait station map I just wrote down that the stations are inspected and replenished every fortnight. Passed on that

AFAIK from my last inspection I was told that they wont accept that cats will kill all the rodents anymore. Foolish really if this is the case. My bait points are only used for the inspection and cats do the work. Never a rat or mouse to be seen

My neighbours suspect me of killing their cats since they heard that my dog got poisoned, I saved the dog though.
    I was leaving the vermin control to the neighbours cats, lovely cats, and they were working 100% but had to change due to the Bord Bia audits. Another fine example of public service desk driver making the rules without a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭older by the day

A lot of suckler men have it given up down here. The only advantage of it is that you will have your paper work up to date and your animals tagged, if there was ever an inspection. It makes us keep things fairly right (well for a couple of hours anyway )

A lot of suckler men have it given up down here. The only advantage of it is that you will have your paper work up to date and your animals tagged, if there was ever an inspection. It makes us keep things fairly right (well for a couple of hours anyway )

Ye what l meant is that it's compulsory for dairy farmers to be bord bia approved where as beef farmers don't have to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭older by the day

Ye what l meant is that it's compulsory for dairy farmers to be bord bia approved where as beef farmers don't have to be

Ya I know, I quoted you mistake, I was in too much of a hurry to depart my pearls of wisdom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Wouldn't really be practical having two types of milk QA and NON QA, One of my tenants works helping Glanbia suppliers to get over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Muckit wrote: »

Pass is in the bag.

i was thinking like you but when you sit back at look at it. its not the inspectors fault there just doing the job but having said that I had a little pup one year and was lucky I didnt report him and I d have the place not too bad. bar that all the ones that came were a 100%

I think going forwad to get any money from anything you'll have to be in bord bia. They use it as an excuse in the factory's not to take cattle. but that a whole other conversation...lol

Advertisement