Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Individual agreements for houae share

Options
  • 03-08-2019 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I have a rental property and 3 different people want to rent out rooms in the house but want to have seperate rental agreements with me. Can this be done rather then just one of their names on the lease.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It means that if one stops paying rent, the other two wouldn't be liable for said rent, as i'ts per room, and not per house.

Look at renting the room only to them, as this may give them less responsibilities, but also rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tmurf

Sorry yes that is what they are suggesting and if one moves out i will find a replacement tenent. Could i use a similar rent agreement with each tenent for a room as used for thd whole house.
    Also i presume this has to be registered with the prtb.also how do i fix room rent amount or would it have to go by house rent
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Tmurf wrote: »
    Sorry yes that is what they are suggesting and if one moves out i will find a replacement tenent. Could i use a similar rent agreement with each tenent for a room as used for thd whole house.
    Also i presume this has to be registered with the prtb.also how do i fix room rent amount or would it have to go by house rent
    Thanks

You need to charge more if you are doing it this way. It’s a lot more work for you and you will have more void periods. There is also more risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Moomoomacshoe

I have been in shared accommodation where we each pay separately to Ll but are all on one lease. One person moves out we found a replacement and the Ll okayed it..again they paid directly to Ll.
    Not sure if this helps.

Thanks
    How does registering the seperate leades work ??

• Advertisement

Very common, this is only way I’ve ever rented a room. Paying for my room individually. I’ve never had a lease or any type of agreement thought just word of mouth.

Best way to rent a place for a LL too imo.
    You need to charge more if you are doing it this way. It’s a lot more work for you and you will have more void periods. There is also more risk.

I’d charge more beside you can but I’d argue the opposite on the other points. Much lower risk and less chance of void periods imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Very common, this is only way I’ve ever rented a room. Paying for my room individually. I’ve never had a lease or any type of agreement thought just word of mouth.

Best way to rent a place for a LL too imo.

I’d charge more beside you can but I’d argue the opposite on the other points. Much lower risk and less chance of void periods imo.

If a tenant leaves you may find it difficult to put in a new tenant. The existing tenants may make it difficult. You then need to manage the property more intensively. If there are disputes between tenants the landlord is much more likely to be gotten involved. This is all risk. The cost of all this isn’t just money. It’s your time. If you have the time, you can certainly make it work.

Thanks for all the replies.

Question.
    Do i register 3 different leases with the prtb or how do i control it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

In my experience you are better renting to a group. They are more likely to have their crap together and stick together as a unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Re rtb, stick all their names down when you register the property. You will need to adjust if one moves out but afaik you can do this without a charge. Check with them to be sure

• Advertisement
Advertisement