Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too early for Cyclamens?

Options
  • 03-08-2019 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

I saw some Cyclamen plants yesterday in a nursery and wondered if it's too early to plant them. Will they tolerate the warm weather?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Assuming they are a hardy variety and not there as house plants, they can be planted any time from Autumn to early spring provided the ground isn't frozen.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If it gets way to warm for them the leaves and flowers will die back leaving the tuber behind, ready to sprout again when the conditions are more congenial. The big problem is excess water, which will make the tuber rot, as will nematodes. Snails/slugs may eat into it, too. They will also rot if they get too dry and water is administered too quickly.

I've one of the dwarf varieties (not the wild kind, that smells simply heavenly), and it's just started to sprout leaves a couple of days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Dam yes. They are winter plants I hate seeing them coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

thanks for all the replies.

Think i'll leave it for a few weeks.

Advertisement