Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Admins be Mods ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Your post is full of aggression arrogance and is everything that is wrong with the majority of boards mods and admin.

‘Don’t get cards and bans for no reason’
    Is I think stupidest lie I have ever read on boards
    Your self importance is laughable but like all mods here you just don’t get it.

This guy used to call himself "the commander of the internet" i kid you not

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This guy used to call himself "the commander of the internet" i kid you not

Yes, and that stemmed from a joke between myself and a couple of other people. You got a problem with that? Although really I don't know why I should have to justify myself to you in the first place.

Zaph wrote: »
    Yes, and that stemmed from a joke between myself and a couple of other people. You got a problem with that? Although really I don't know why I should have to justify myself to you in the first place.

I didnt say you had to justify anything....commander of the internet....order order....the heirarchy....bans will continue until morale improves....am i the only one seeing a pattern here?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I didnt say you had to justify anything....commander of the internet....order order....the heirarchy....bans will continue until morale improves....am i the only one seeing a pattern here?

I had actually forgotten I had that tag, but if you think that I'd take such a thing as a tag on a website seriously you'd be very much mistaken.

I had actually forgotten I had that tag, but if you think that I'd take such a thing as a tag on a website seriously you'd be very much mistaken.

Again your putting words in my mouth,i never said if you take them seriously or not,i certainly dont...but any reasonable person,imo, would certainly see a pattern there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yes, and that stemmed from a joke between myself and a couple of other people. You got a problem with that?

Although really I don't know why I should have to justify myself to you in the first place.

You don't. I think we are back to those who fail to engage in discussion and resort to attacking the poster. Funny thing is I just had to highlight something similar in a another post. Not much changes tbh ...

gozunda wrote: »
    You don't. I think we are back to those who fail to engage in discussion and resort to attacking the poster. Funny thing is I just had to highlight something similar in a another post. Not much changes tbh ...

I,m not sure if you are referring to me,but i didnt attack anyone....also engaging in discussion is normally impossible on this site because most of the time everyone is walking on eggshells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

I,m not sure if you are referring to me,but i didnt attack anyone....also engaging in discussion is normally impossible on this site because most of the time everyone is walking on eggshells

i think we both understand that the modding on boards has no transparency. mods back up fellow mods and admins especially those who are also mods consider themselves judge jury and executioner
    it is very sad to see the responses of mods on this thread.
    they are in positions of complete power and control and their posts reflect this.

As boards user numbers have fallen boards management has basically abandoned the site and boards is now in full control of mods who get off on the power to censor, ban and control the content.
    The mods on here have access to a users private info and they are NOT employees of boards.
    They think they are very clever in how they set up a user to be completely banned, but this is the only transparent part of modding on here.

the mods can do what they want on here because there is no external appeal. by that i mean the current appeal system is completely flawed.
    mod bans user, then another mod, cmod, admin uphold ban all the while making you jump through embarrassing condescending hoops.

but these same mods are shouting about trump quietening the voice of the powerless, and yet they do the same on here.
    all mods on here should read 1984 because their censoring of anything that is not left wing progressive radical view points swings both ways.
    people like them have opened the door, and the right wing ultras are going to come in.

the fundamental concept that any person considered for mod candidacy be "suitable" with a "good track record" is imo an issue.

its very catch 22 if you feel that many posters have poor track records *because* of problems with the modding.

its easily defensible if you accept 100% that things are operating well.

if you dont, its a very handy barrier in place of meaningful culture change.

the mods are so to predict too. all mod activity goes quiet on here means they are discussing privately how to close this thread and which posters need re educating.
    i myself have been banned for 3 weeks from politics cafe for having conservative views so i am already an their hit list and my posts on here will have moved their deadlines forward.
    when i am eventually banned i want any users who read this to seriously think about closing their accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

all mod activity goes quiet on here means they are discussing privately how to close this thread and which posters need re educating.

Actually, there hasn't been a peep of discussion regarding this thread. In fact, I had a very nice coffee and cake this morning with family. Why do you think we would be discussing you on a Sunday morning?

dudara wrote: »
    Actually, there hasn't been a peep of discussion regarding this thread. In fact, I had a very nice coffee and cake this morning with family. Why do you think we would be discussing you on a Sunday morning?

a little too quick with your reply. how long until this thread closes?
    i was banned for 3 weeks and then the admin beasty decided to be judge jury executioner and uoheld ban and then closed the DR thread so i had no chance of reply.

where is the fairness?

There is no reason that I can see for this thread to be closed.

The DR forum is the place for discussion any infractions/warnings/bans that you have picked up. Feedback is not the forum for such discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Be careful with cake. A second on the soul a lifetime on the hole as they say. Was it gluten free at least?

Be careful with cake. A second on the soul a lifetime on the hole as they say. Was it gluten free at least?

Full gluten I'm afraid, but I did go with almond milk in my flat white.

Full gluten I'm afraid, but I did go with almond milk in my flat white.

Knew you were a posh boy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Nody wrote: »
    Well the first one has been called by pretty much every forum with any contentious posts and using Soccer as an example people from both sides of a game has complained that the Mod clearly is a "insert club A" supporter because "insert club A supporters" are allowed to do anything while "insert club B" complain exactly the same in the same match thread. Can replace Soccer with Religion, Politics etc. as well. Not saying that there may not be biased (and Mods have lost their Mod role over it as well) but it's a very generic and old complaint without specific examples it's impossible to really answer beyond generics as well.

Second part is once again down to a human factor; not only do you not see all that a Mod does but being humans the Moderators also tend to do it differently. Some PM users, some issue cards directly, some delete posts, some post on thread warnings etc. Add in that there is no black and white lines on were exactly does a post cross a charter in general and you're never going to have 100% aligned moderator actions. However and this is important to note this is why CMods are in place; if you think a moderator is acting "rogue" by comparison then drop a PM to a CMod with some examples. We're there to review things like this and unlike popular belief we don't go to the moderator and say "We got a complaint from user A about you; deal with it" or something similar. All reviews are kept at CMod/Admin level only and if there is potential bias then the moderator is approached accordingly to sort it out (and if they continue they are unlikely to remain a Mod for very long).

Well you're asking people to prove a negative (no bias) which is impossible and on top of that without being able to see all the facts while dealing with humans making decisions. In short you're never going to have an unbiased review as long as humans are involved; however you will get as close to it as possible with the current process which is open. Feel free to mention another forum that has a 3 level review process for disputing a minor infraction that's public and 100% unbiased? It's simply setting standards at a level other forums are not even close to follow (inc. Facebook, Reddit et al) but it's all boards being biased about it somehow because they set a higher standard and do it openly (remember the DRP was specifically implemented because people were not happy that the reviews were done via PMs etc. at the time).

Well if I thought you were trying to troll I'd not bothered to respond in the first place so I believe you :)

As someone who went through DRP years ago I found it extremely biased & unfair. So much so that, in my naive early days, it really changed my opinion of Boards.

I see the same comments, from Moderators & Admins over & over again, but I also see the same blatant favoritism & biased moderation. In my opinion nothing has changed & nor do I expect it to.

Knew you were a posh boy

Farmer's daughter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Discodog wrote: »
    I see the same comments, from Moderators & Admins over & over again, but I also see the same blatant favoritism & biased moderation.
    You never seen me at that sh!t or never will :)

Farmer's daughter :)

No farmers daughter would drink almond milk
    They would care too much for the environment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

muffler wrote: »
    You never seen me at that sh!t or never will :)

Oh I have always said that there are way more good Mods than bad. But some of the bad have a lot of influence.

Discodog wrote: »
    Oh I have always said that there are way more good Mods than bad. But some of the bad have a lot of influence.

The bad mods position themselves in after hours politics cafe
    Basically anywhere where social issues are discussed and they then censor anything that they do not like
    Why. Because most are unemployed or retired or public sector employees ( who else has the time) and all 3 are draining on the public teat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Sh!t there on to me.

The bad mods position themselves in after hours politics cafe
    Basically anywhere where social issues are discussed and they then censor anything that they do not like
    Why. Because most are unemployed or retired or public sector employees ( who else has the time) and all 3 are draining on the public teat.

@Isla Prickly Skateboard - Enough is enough. Unless you have actual feedback to share, please do not post again. You’ve been given a lot of leeway, but you haven’t provided any constructive feedback.

dudara

@Pastor Crowe - Enough is enough. Unless you have actual feedback to share, please do not post again. You’ve been given a lot of leeway, but you haven’t provided any constructive feedback.

dudara

I have received a pm from a user Zax12pC which I don’t fully understand. It is very strange that I received this from a new user today
    I have reported the message and I hope for you and your mod buddies sake it is not some sick joke by ye

You have until end of business 15th August to give me a full report on the investigation or I will be consulting my solicitor.
    Disgraceful behaviour.

I have received a pm from a user Zax12pC which I don’t fully understand. It is very strange that I received this from a new user today
    I have reported the message and I hope for you and your mod buddies sake it is not some sick joke by ye

You have until end of business 15th August to give me a full report on the investigation or I will be consulting my solicitor.
    Disgraceful behaviour.

I think a lot of members on the site got that PM. I did anyway. And if you go to the spammer/shill sticky thread here on feedback you'll notice others did too. It's a bot. You're not that special.

I think a lot of members on the site got that PM. I did anyway. And if you go to the spammer/shill sticky thread here on feedback you'll notice others did too. It's a bot. You're not that special.

I think I am. Why is everyone so serious on this site. Can I not dream that duadara and beasty and the rest of the kgb were out to get me.

Boards is experiencing a spam attack at the moment with unsolicited PMs being sent to users.

The tech team are working on a solution, but in the meantime, please do not click on any of the links.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Boards is experiencing a spam attack at the moment with unsolicited PMs being sent to users.

The tech team are working on a solution, but in the meantime, please do not click on any of the links.

dudara
    Thanks for saying dudara - perhaps adding this to announcements (which display at the top of everyone's page, so all can see your warning) may be a sound idea?

Setting PM's to 'contacts only' helps to thwart such undesirable messages.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We've had one of the development team on the case. All the accounts should be banned now, and sent PMs deleted. That won't deal with e-mail notifications which do include the PM contents unfortunately. I suspect the cold light of day will bring a further review to try and work out how it happened. Mark should be back in the office and they can decide what sort of communication to make to users about all of this

We're keeping our eyes open for any fresh attacks

It looks like they were working back through accounts, as all the reported PMs I've seen are for accounts set up since around November last year

Advertisement