Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More cash for Mary Robinson, ca ching.

• 03-08-2019 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

Was reading there that Mayo CC just bought her run down old gaff in Ballina for 660k . Not bad for an unloved old townhouse in Ballina I thought. Do Mayo CC not have anything more worthwhile they can go spending other people's money on? The only thing I can see the proposed Mary Robinson museum turning out to be is a temporary cure for insomnia.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Maybe her friend, yer wan from Abu Dabby or wherever can live there. The princess al bint or something.

A bonfire of money. What about putting that outlay to practical use, say maintenance of local amenities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I thought €600k should get you Ballina...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,470 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You get to sit in the actual chair that Mary sat in,and see where she ate breakfast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

kneemos wrote: »
    You get to sit in the actual chair that Mary sat in,and see where she ate breakfast.

"The elders "

My arse , how detatched from the real world is this woman now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

The house is where she grew up, but she doesn't own it now, so the basis of this thread title makes no sense.

I can see Ryanair having to out on extra flights to Knock. It'll be a tourist draw like Disneyland Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I remember being treated for a nefarious dose of the “nobby stiles” in that establishment in the early mid seventies!

"The elders "

My arse , how detatched from the real world is this woman now

Now? Always was. This is the one who resigned as president to take up another job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So they bought large townhouse and several offices connected to it to transform into a library.

Booohoooo

Former President Mary Robinson’s childhood home in Ballina, Co Mayo, has been bought by Mayo County Council after years of negotiations.

Work is to begin in November this year on transforming Victoria House, which was owned by Ms Robinson’s brother Adrian Bourke, into the Mary Robinson Centre, a US-style presidential library.

It is understood the property sold for about €600,000.

Brendan Mulroy, Cathaoirleach of Mayo County Council, told the Irish Times the purchase represented “a good day for Mayo”.

“Mary Robinson was the president of our country obviously, and being a Mayo woman, she made a big difference to the country as a whole, in challenging times,” he said.

“From Mayo County Council’s point of view, purchasing the house is a step forward and holding on to a piece of history at the same time.”

Mr Mulroy estimated that it had taken the council around five years to secure the purchase, for what will become Ireland’s first presidential library, similar to other institutions dedicated to ex-presidents in the US.

Almost two years ago, the council was understood to be offering around €510,000 for the property in which Ms Robinson grew up, and neighbouring offices, both of which were owned by Mr Bourke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I don't see what all the outrage is about tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Gatling wrote: »

So they bought large townhouse and several offices connected to it to transform into a library.

I wonder how much the unfortunate ratepayers of County Mayo will now have to fork out to pay for the "transformation"?

What outrage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

What outrage?

Some of the posts here even describing it as a bonfire of money

I suppose it all depends on how valuable to posterity you consider the collected scribblings of Mary Robinson to be.

Personally, I'd have advised Mayo County Council to have lashed out €5,000 on an industrial sized paper shredder, and to re-cycle the resulting tonnes of waste paper. A much better outcome both for the planet and for the ratepayers of Mayo!

A turn of phrase, no outrage here that I can see.

Obviously from posters who have bought Victorian era town houses and transformed them into libraries

Obviously from posters who have bought Victorian era town houses - using other peoples' money - and transformed them into libraries - again, using other peoples' money!

Edited for accuracy.

Portsalon wrote: »
    Edited for accuracy.

Typical newly registered response not very accurate at .

Cost is 1.5 million tell us how many council houses could have been bought for that

Cost is 1.5 million tell us how many council houses could have been bought for that

I'll leave the red herrings to you.

Simple fact is that the elected buffoons of Mayo Co Co have decided to commit large amounts of ratepayers' funds to a vanity project of little architectural, cultural or political merit.

Res ipsa loquitur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The whole project supposed to cost 5.1 million, 2017 figures, 1.5m Mayo CC, 2m Josepha Madigan's dept, 1.5m philanthropic donations.
    Mary said it was mildly annoying that people had a problem with spending this kind of money on her archive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I'll leave the red herrings to you.

Simple fact is that the elected buffoons of Mayo Co Co have decided to commit large amounts of ratepayers' funds to a vanity project of little architectural, cultural or political merit.

Res ipsa loquitur.

It is also going to be a shrine for gender equality and climate change apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I would have presumed that all documents pertaining to the presidency are the property of the state and should be in our archive, not hers. Anything related to her career outside of Irish public life is her own business and should be 100% funded by herself, especially since she so publicly denigrated our highest office so she could advance her career.

sabat wrote: »
    I would have presumed that all documents pertaining to the presidency are the property of the state and should be in our archive, not hers. Anything related to her career outside of Irish public life is her own business and should be 100% funded by herself, especially since she so publicly denigrated our highest office so she could advance her career.

But surely signed samples of her lavender scented toilet paper fully deserve a taxpayer-funded shrine to rival the pyramids?

Indeed, I'm a tad surprised that Mayo County Council haven't (yet) decided to rename both the Monsignor Horan Interplanetary Airport and the Marian Shrine at Knock after Her Imperial Royal Highness, the Big Bird of Ballina!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭Odhinn

She, by all a/c's' has an ego the size of a planet.

She said recently that Kofi Annan "bullied" her into taking up the position. Convenient that he was dead and couldn't contradict that statement.

She said recently that Kofi Annan "bullied" her into taking up the position. Convenient that he was dead and couldn't contradict that statement.

Remarkable, nay incredible, that a feminist pin-up like Dispora Mary would have allowed herself to be bullied by a mere male.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm sure the denizens of Ballina are happy that 8 million euro of the tax payers money is going on this marginal vanity project rather than into something useful.

Like a refuge for Arabian Gulf princesses. :)

Was the token payment offered by the state for said scribblings considered derisory, and NUIG instead benefited?

• Advertisement

I'm sure the denizens of Ballina are happy that 8 million euro of the tax payers money is going on this marginal vanity project rather than into something useful.

Like a refuge for Arabian Gulf princesses. :)

Doubt many from Ballina are interested in a temple to Mary Robinson. The cost of it however is another matter, 8.5 million is the latest figure I saw. It will be ten million before we know it. And for what?

Phoebas wrote: »
    The house is where she grew up, but she doesn't own it now, so the basis of this thread title makes no sense.

Interesting. Who owns it and what connection does he/she have to the person in Mayo CC who decided to pay €600,000 for a run-down house in Mayo?

Interesting. Who owns it and what connection does he/she have to the person in Mayo CC who decided to pay €600,000 for a run-down house in Mayo?

Is it her brother selling it?

About 30 houses in Ballina, according to a quick Daft search here.

That's a lot of families.

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote: »
    She, by all a/c's, has an ego the size of a planet.

Ah, but are we talking Pluto or Jupiter here? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Was reading there that Mayo CC just bought her run down old gaff in Ballina for 660k . Not bad for an unloved old townhouse in Ballina I thought. Do Mayo CC not have anything more worthwhile they can go spending other people's money on? The only thing I can see the proposed Mary Robinson museum turning out to be is a temporary cure for insomnia.

I'm sure there wont be any 'brown envelopes' passed to members of the CC;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Ah, but are we talking Pluto or Jupiter here? ;)

More Jupiter than Pluto. Likes working for the 'good of the people', not gone on the 'the people' themselves in person. No time for northern nationalists at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The seat where Mary Farted . What an Honour .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Mary Robinson gives me the creeps. There's just something about her.

I'm sure all the junkets that Mayo County Councillors went on off the back of this project will be rewarded with throngs of visitors to this most important attraction.

She could have just donated her papers to an Irish University with minimum fuss.

• Advertisement

How much more dosh that can that bint soak up ? ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,551 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

blinding wrote: »
    How much more dosh that can that bint soak up ? ?

well none of this cash anyway as she didnt own the house.

well none of this cash anyway as she didnt own the house.
    Family Soak-age .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Yurt! wrote: »
    She could have just donated her papers to an Irish University with minimum fuss.
    Looks like that's exactly what she did: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/mary-robinson-i-wont-avail-of-1-2m-tax-credit-35252957.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The voters of Mayo need to ask their elected representatives exactly why they decided to give Mary Robinson's brother so much money for the house and why taxpayers should be supporting her vanity project at all. If Mayo County Councillors think this is an appropriate use of public funds then you have to disabuse them of that notion at the polling booth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

TheChizler wrote: »

Fair enough didn't realize that. She still gives me the creeps however.

Mary has far more in common with the Healy-Raes than would seem apparent at first glance .

She sure knows how to ride the Gravy Trains .

Advertisement