Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D.I.D. price promise

Options
  • 03-08-2019 3:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had issues with DID refusing to honour double price match because the difference is too high?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Whats the difference in price, assuming they are both the same item/model number?

https://www.did.ie/double-the-difference

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Spocker wrote: »
    Whats the difference in price, assuming they are both the same item/model number?

https://www.did.ie/double-the-difference

80 euro

Was it the local manager who refused, when you showed the proof of the same item elsewhere? Try their customer support line, have your receipt handy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Has anyone had issues with DID refusing to honour double price match because the difference is too high?

Their terms and conditions do not seem to set a limit. If you fulfilled the rest of the criteria, it would seem to be a cop out and a manager has chosen to not honour the company's advertised policy by attempting to fob you off.

Why not ask them openly. https://twitter.com/didelectrical

Give us some more details about what you bought in DID, and where you saw it cheaper in another shop

• Advertisement

Was it the local manager who refused, when you showed the proof of the same item elsewhere? Try their customer support line, have your receipt handy

Yea, local manager, he said he rang head office and they said no.

he got annoyed when I asked him who had he spoken to in head office as I wanted their details to contact them.

I am waiting for DID to get back to me before I show links

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yea, local manager, he said he rang head office and they said no.
    Did they give a reason? e.g. were they arguing it did not qualify under their numerous rules?

The links may be out of date or changed before we get to see them.

rubadub wrote: »
    Did they give a reason? e.g. were they arguing it did not qualify under their numerous rules?

The links may be out of date or changed before we get to see them.

I don't believe the manager phoned head office

I don't believe the manager phoned head office
    yeah, I understand that, but I find it hard to believe they simply said a blunt NO with no explanation whatsoever. Your first post sounds like they might have said the price difference was too high, but I doubt they gave that as a reason. You are aware of all the restrictions? there are loads of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This is impossible to decipher without details of the appliance from both sellers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I signed up with DID last week with my student leapcard which is supposed to give me a small rebate on purchases.

They set me up with an account and said they would send me voucher codes that day.

Still waiting......

• Registered Users Posts: 20 fj4400

Few years back... Harvey Norman had an opening day offer of 10 percent off everything ... I was looking for DID to do a price match ... Refused to do so on the grounds that it was an opening day offer... Difference was 10 euro ... Proved to me any of these offers are gimmicks

fj4400 wrote: »
    Refused to do so on the grounds that it was an opening day offer.
    poor form, did they specifically say which condition it did not meet?

The one I would be looking at is possibly "Prices advertised in limited quantities". But that should really be if a shop has a set amount listed, like you see stuff sold cheap on stephens day, but only 5 available.

I would have informed others on their social media pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

There night be a good reason for refusing price match.
    I have tried to buy a Vax vacuum cleaner from Currys . They have a great deal on it, less than half price. However they have none in stock and haven't had any in stock for the last month. They won't take an order for it as they don't expect to get any.
    When I complained that to a manager and daid Currys are regularly doing things like this , He agreed but said there was nothing he could do.
    The vacuum cleaner is still on their website at the special offer this morning.
    Other electrical dealers might know what Currys, and possibly others, do.

rock22 wrote: »
    There night be a good reason for refusing price match.
    I have tried to buy a Vax vacuum cleaner from Currys . They have a great deal on it, less than half price. However they have none in stock and haven't had any in stock for the last month. They won't take an order for it as they don't expect to get any.
    When I complained that to a manager and daid Currys are regularly doing things like this , He agreed but said there was nothing he could do.
    The vacuum cleaner is still on their website at the special offer this morning.
    Other electrical dealers might know what Currys, and possibly others, do.

Was told today they will not match prices advertised in limited quantities.

They also state NAMED competitors on their T&C which cannot be enforced.

The product now is 120 euro cheaper than DID, so 240 voucher possible. It is never going to happen.

While looking at laptops in DID they have 4 1/2 year old laptops for sale as new

Why can't they enforce named competitors in their T&Cs? I'd expect that is to protect themselves against "I can get it shipped from China/other country cheaper", no?

At DID Electrical we are 100% committed to never being beaten on price. Which is why we monitor all our prices in our stores every day. We are so confident that we will not be beaten on price, if you find the exact same product that we sold you within 7 days of purchase at a

lower price anywhere else in the Republic of Ireland,

we will give you a DID Electrical voucher for ‘Double the Difference’.

You're leaving out some of the T&Cs though, where they specify the specific retailers. As others have said, without knowing what the product and other seller is, we can't offer much in the way of concrete advice - ultimately you have to deal with DID directly on this one

You're leaving out some of the T&Cs though, where they specify the specific retailers. As others have said, without knowing what the product and other seller is, we can't offer much in the way of concrete advice - ultimately you have to deal with DID directly on this one

Thats the point I made, they cannot specify all the retailers, they used the term "namely" and then list 7 competitors which does not mean anything legally.

Fair enough, let us know how you get on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'm always suspicious when the OP won't give full details of the complaint. Why not tell us what the product is and who the other retailer is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

rock22 wrote:
    There night be a good reason for refusing price match. I have tried to buy a Vax vacuum cleaner from Currys . They have a great deal on it, less than half price. However they have none in stock and haven't had any in stock for the last month. They won't take an order for it as they don't expect to get any. When I complained that to a manager and daid Currys are regularly doing things like this , He agreed but said there was nothing he could do. The vacuum cleaner is still on their website at the special offer this morning. Other electrical dealers might know what Currys, and possibly others, do.

TBH Vax is Shi"e had one ,useless,try Miele tip top

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The product now is 120 euro cheaper than DID, so 240 voucher possible. It is never going to happen.

While looking at laptops in DID they have 4 1/2 year old laptops for sale as new

It doesn't matter if the named them on the phone. Its what they state in their terms and conditions that apply. For illustration THESE are only conditions that I can find.
    ‘Double the Difference’ guarantee applies to shelf edge product prices only and excludes:

- Ex-display prices

- Negotiated price quotes or bundle price quotes

- Free items with products

- Special order prices

- Refurbished products

- Prices advertised in limited quantities

- Third-party resellers

- Competitors’ prices where they have no stock available for collection or delivery
    #

So DID are now saying that the item you identified elsewhere they will not price match or double the refund as the "Prices advertised are in limited quantities" Is this actually true ? Does it state anywhere in the other shop that its one per shop ? Or had they many for sale at that price ? The overriding issue is that they claim DID wont be beaten on price and if they do they will do X. If you think you have a legit argument, get proof and go to twitter.

Embarrassment is the always the first port of call - Tweet them & copy in the the ASAI as well - that'll signal what you will be doing next if you get no joy).

The second is raising it as a complaint with the advertising standards authority.

https://www.asai.ie/make-a-complaint/make-a-complaint/

Finally, dont leave us in suspenders......whats the item ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I bought a garmin drive 51 from D I D and in less than a week found it 20 euro cheaper in halfords and same model as sometimes models differ.I got a 40 euro credit note and no problems as i had proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

Have the competitor actual stock?
    As I have said in previous post, clearly Currys are trying to disrupt this offer by listing prices on their website and then not carrying any stock. . Have you checked that the item is in stock and is absolutely identical. Items in large retailers are often not the same as editions available from other retailers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

rock22 wrote: »
    Have the competitor actual stock?
    As I have said in previous post, clearly Currys are trying to disrupt this offer by listing prices on their website and then not carrying any stock. . Have you checked that the item is in stock and is absolutely identical. Items in large retailers are often not the same as editions available from other retailers

I had direct experience of this practice with Currys. Could not figure out why marked down item (video game) remained on website when they had no stock in any of the stores. No I understand why.

Thats the point I made, they cannot specify all the retailers, they used the term "namely" and then list 7 competitors which does not mean anything legally.

Is this your roundabout way of saying you were trying to price match from a non-listed retailer? If so I wonder why they even bothered their hole to humour you with tales of ringing head office.

Harvey Norman have a similar enough list

https://www.harveynorman.ie/corporate-information/best-price-guarantee.html#terms_conditions

WE WILL MATCH OR BEAT

Currys
    PC World
    Powercity
    Argos
    DID Electrical
    Expert
    Euronics
    Appliances Delivered
    Soundstore

This is pretty understandable as they would leave themselves open to scammers. e.g. if you owned a newsagents I guess you could claim to be selling TVs, and confirm it if DID ring your shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

You could easily link to the item on did.ie and the competitor you say DID won't pricematch.

This whole thread is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Their deal page is a bit of a self-contradictory disaster though.

In bold at the top:
    if you find the exact same product that we sold you within 7 days of purchase at a lower price anywhere else in the Republic of Ireland, we will give you a DID Electrical voucher for ‘Double the Difference’

The "anywhere else" is then contradicted immediately below by:
    "... in any of our competitors’ stores (namely Currys, Power City, Harvey Norman, Expert, Argos, Euronics, Appliance Delivered) in the Republic of Ireland ..."

And then below that are the T+Cs which don't specify a restricted list of stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Halfords were not listed i got a refund voucher.

Advertisement