Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Permits

Options
  • 03-08-2019 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

I have just recently moved into a new apartment in Terenure. The apartment is part of a converted house in which there are six apartments. Unfortunately there are only 3 parking spaces so I thought I would apply for one street parking as the street outside has disc parking.

Just wondering if it is the same process for an apartment as it would be for a house owner to get on street parking permit ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,410 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's the same procedure, however the fee and number of permits allowable may be different, depending on local demand for parking. http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-parking-dublin/parking-city-residents

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

It looks like a tenant in an apartment in a converted cannot apply for a single permit but rather they are per house only ?

The standard fee for a resident’s parking permit is:

• €50 for 1 year and €80 for 2 years if you live in a house.
    • €400 for 1 year or €750 for 2 years if your building contains more than 4 housing units, has off-road parking available to it and is located in a low demand zone (includes converted houses and apartment blocks).
    • €400 for 1 year or €750 for 2 years if your building is a converted house, contains more than 4 housing units, has off-road parking available to it and is located in a heavy demand zone

That text is about fees.

Different categories of buildings have different quotas. If I'm correct, the permit is vehicle specific, although for €10-20 the owner can get the vehicle details changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If you're parking on a main road with a bus lane, it won't make any difference if you have a permit or now - you still have to move the car across the road depending on the direction of the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I have just recently moved into a new apartment in Terenure. The apartment is part of a converted house in which there are six apartments. Unfortunately there are only 3 parking spaces so I thought I would apply for one street parking as the street outside has disc parking.

Just wondering if it is the same process for an apartment as it would be for a house owner to get on street parking permit ?

It will be the same process but the minimum fee will be €400 per year which is 5 times the cost of what a house occupier would pay!

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    It will be the same process but the minimum fee will be €400 per year which is 5 times the cost of what a house occupier would pay!

Yeah I just found that out. Seems quite unreasonable to me. Why do they penanlise people for living in a falt or apartment ?

Yeah I just found that out. Seems quite unreasonable to me. Why do they penanlise people for living in a falt or apartment ?

Demand management. Apartments are expected to have their own parking.

People in a house usually have enough kerb space in front of the property for a car to fit. People in flat, where there might be 2-12 flats, often don't have enough kerb space in front of the property for every car to fit.

I live in a converted house, there is parking for some but not all of the flats. But I will still have to pay 400 to park for one year, rather than 50 if i owned the house. Its discrimination

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I live in a converted house, there is parking for some but not all of the flats. But I will still have to pay 400 to park for one year, rather than 50 if i owned the house. Its discrimination

Not really; if the converted house did not have onsite parking then I believe you would not have the €400 cost but rather the €80 cost but it would be limited to 3 permits per house.

It could be worse, many current U.K. planning permissions preclude new developments (including conversions) from any on street parking, ie not allowed to apply for resident or visitors permits. Not sure if that applies in shropshire!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It's not discrimination ffs, don't be ridiculous. It's to stop every house in the city that's chopped up into 8 units having 8 car permits available, which is dead right, because you'd be taking up the parking spots in front of your house and the neighbour on either side. Not everyone is out to get you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement