Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting in el paso

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Hes the person that can actually do something. You know , the guy with power.

They previous administration didn't do anything about it either.

I don't remember the then president being blamed for mass shootings under his 8 years at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

lawlolawl wrote: »

I don't remember the then president being blamed for mass shootings under his 8 years at the helm.

Did the previous President not try to introduce improved gun control in the wake of Sandy Hook?

Die the previous President court violent domestic extremism in any of its flavours?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That's ok so. Murder away.

So nothing can be done about it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yep Trump played a significant role in this guy's way of thinking. He defined Hispanic immigration as bringing "rape, crime and drugs. He added the fact that "some" of them are good. Imagine us saying that about any other type of immigrants.

“They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”
    Sadly, the overwhelming amount of violent crime in our major cities is committed by blacks and hispanics-a tough subject-must be discussed.

Hopefully the next tough subject he'll discuss is the radicalisation of those who are obsessed with immigrants from Spanish speaking countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Trump also claimed to make El Paso safe. Oops
    https://twitter.com/twmentality1/status/1158002886850351106

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Not without a change to the constitution.

A Twitter account linked to the Texas suspect had some interesting images on it.

PRI_78742315-e1564903617520.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=768%2C390&ssl=1

I didn't say that at all.

I was referring to people saying that Trump should do something about it because he's is in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

steddyeddy wrote: »
    A Twitter account linked to the Texas suspect had some interesting images on it.

PRI_78742315-e1564903617520.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=768%2C390&ssl=1

A twitter account "linked to" someone. What does that mean? Was it his account or would every post on boards.ie be "linked to" you and I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not really no.

A twitter account "linked to" someone. What does that mean? Was it his account or would every post on boards.ie be "linked to" you and I?

The police are investigating whether it is his or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,041 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I se the GOP leader in the House of Representatives Kevin McCarthy is blaming the video game industry for these attacks, and talking about that well known American video game company Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I se the GOP leader in the House of Representatives Kevin McCarthy is blaming the video game industry for these attacks, and talking about that well known American video game company Nintendo.

Nintendo is a Japanese company :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There was a bill in the senate recently bring in strict rules about gun control ,
    ie people who have a record of domestic violence should not be allowed
    to buy guns .
    In theory theres a register of people who have a criminal record
    who are not allowed to buy guns .
    Every state has different rules about open carry ,who can buy guns,
    some states say you need to be 21 years old to buy a gun.
    i think in some states 16 or 18 year old teens can buy a gun ,
    While you need id and to be over the age of 21 to buy a bottle of beer in
    america .
    I do,nt think theres any hope of real gun control in america
    until they have a democrat in power as president .
    The republican party is very close to the NRA so they are not likely to
    bring in strict rules on gun control .
    i think there needs to strict rules on who can buy automatic weapons ,machine guns , and body armour .
    Blaming video games for this mass shooting makes no sense ,
    there have been very few mass shooting s in the uk or france .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,041 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nintendo is a Japanese company :confused:
    I know that. It appears he didn't.

The police are investigating whether it is his or not.

Fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Another mass shooting in Ohio today, ah well thoughts and prayers. ......Thought it would be at least a week.

I doubt it's a mistake. Why blame a domestic company when they could blame foreign one?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Incorrectly linked. That image has nothing to do with the suspect. Don't fall for the bait

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

PressRun wrote: »
    It's not a mental health issue. Every country in the world has people with mental health issues. But not every country in the world has to deal with mass shootings on a regular basis.
    There is something inherently wrong with their society.
    I'd agree 100% P, but I would also say these kind of mass shootings and the society that appears to be breeding them is a more recent thing in American society. Go back pre say 1970 and they were a vanishingly rare crime. When gun legislation was significantly more lax. And it's not as if American society was all roses back then either and the culture was just as individualistic and circle the wagons and idolised violence in films and TV.

Mass murders really start to ramp up by the end of the 80's and ramp up again after 2000 and ramp up yet again after 2010. Their access to guns is most certainly a major factor, but there is more going on. America's overall death by gunshot stats have actually trended downwards, while mass shootings have continued to climb ever upwards.

What might be the other reasons? White disillusionment? Could be, as though there were always poor Whites the society was much more White anglo saxon focussed. Young male disillusionment could play into it too. Mental illness is often wheeled out, but unless mental illness was much less an issue in the past then that's not as much in play(though personally I believe mental illness rates have been going way up beyond the better diagnosis these days reason would suggest). Some have linked anti depressant use as a possible factor, noting that the major upswing in this type of crime follows a very eimilar trajectory of the coming to market and use in the population of SSRI type medications. The internet and modern mass media must play into it. The disillusionment felt by many while they look at people apparently living it up on instagram, arsebook et al and it provides a place for more extreme types to grow and set out their extremist stalls and comforts and amps up those looking for reasons for their disillusionment.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Nintendo are well known for their disgustingly gory series such as Mario Kart and Animal Crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If the US really wanted to do something about events like these, they would.

They have spent far in excess of $500 million per head of people killed in 9/11 on anti-terrorism measures to protect against foreign threats. They won't lift a finger, comparatively, to do anything about domestic threats.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I haven't read the killer's manifesto, just an analysis of it, and it is very much in tune with the eco fascist ideology behind the NZ massacre.

This seems an emerging international terrorist threat. Very worrying.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I haven't read the killer's manifesto, just an analysis of it, and it is very much in tune with the eco fascist ideology behind the NZ massacre.

It's usually just some recycled version of Ted Kaczynski's manifesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

https://twitter.com/BobMooreNews/status/1157885351521869824?s=19

And there we have it. A white racist terrorist went to El Paso to murder Hispanic people, no doubt emboldened by the increasingly racist rhetoric from American leaders.

Much like Islamic terrorists, it's time to start going after the people who are radicalising these young men.

Underscoring the point I just made in my first post in the Ohio Thread: Hispanic victims != Hispanic shooter. Re: blacks are the biggest victims of gun violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i think these shootings have just become part of the american way of life. part of the vernacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

igCorcaigh wrote: »

At some point governments are going to have to address the absolute nonsense of climate hysteria they have allowed to develop.

'OMG, we're doomed - you must do something about saving humanity from a repeat of the medieval warm period before the Scots start growing grapes and making wine again.'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

cnocbui wrote: »
    At some point governments are going to have to address the absolute nonsense of climate hysteria they have allowed to develop.

'OMG, we're doomed - you must do something about saving humanity from a repeat of the medieval warm period before the Scots start growing grapes and making wine again.'

No, I don't think this ideology of eco fascism is related to that so much, more of a form of white supremecy and anti corporation. It's a confusing thought pattern but definitely ethno fascist.

• Advertisement

I didn't say that at all.

I was referring to people saying that Trump should do something about it because he's is in power.

Well yes, he should. Thays what being in power givew you the , eh, power, to do.

Advertisement