Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting in el paso

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

tuxy wrote: »
    Wako might be a better example of a militia taking on the government on home soil.

There was a recent stand off between groups of armed men and the FBI. I think the podcast I listened to was called bundyville about it.

The dispute was over federal tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You need to ask deeper questions on why that is? Its is nearly all of the cases.

Is it because most of the mass shooting have a very similar profile for the shooter and that person is less likely to have a criminal history. They are not motivated by making money like shootings by people with illegally held firearms. They are motivated by some kind of revenge they think society deserves.

There was a recent stand off between groups of armed men and the FBI. I think the podcast I listened to was called bundyville about it.

The dispute was over federal tax.

Was the group successful? Did they have sufficient arms to take on the FBI?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

they cannot take away your gun but they can screw with your ammo imports and supply and charge you a dollar a round with tax.

Plenty of rounds are made domestically; and actually the SCOTUS would slap down an ammo tax for discriminating against the poor.

Was the group successful? Did they have sufficient arms to take on the FBI?

They held the building for a month and one guy did a suicide by cop. Fun had by all. Stark contrast to how pipeline protesters were treated at the time. This was 2015 I think, so not exactly “recent”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Do countries with high level of legally held firearms have higher rates of gun violence?
    Or is it the other way around inherently violent cultures also have high levels of legally owned guns.

You just cant compare one country with another just like that. it more complex than "Americans are more violent than the Swiss".
    You have to take into account population make up.
    Switzerland is monoculture. America is multicultural.
    Switzerland has always faced an external enemy. America has had civil unrest.
    Switzerland is almost completely christian and has rejected Islam (they blocked the first Mosque a few years back). America has many different religions.
    America has an out of control drug problem, so has switzerland but they approach it two different ways.
    You are not comparing like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

All the constitution says is you have a right to bare arms it does not say what arms. Given when it was written they meant muskets. Also the constitution can be changed. Has been 23 times

You are new to this debate it seems.
    The SCOTUS has rules what arms are permitted and it includes modern-day guns, like handguns and rifles.

Is it because most of the mass shooting have a very similar profile for the shooter and that person is less likely to have a criminal history. They are not motivated by making money like shootings by people with illegally held firearms. They are motivated by some kind of revenge they think society deserves.

Parkland shooter had all sorts of red flags as did several others including the El Paso shooter so I don’t think you’re right there

Overheal wrote: »
    Parkland shooter had all sorts of red flags as did several others including the El Paso shooter so I don’t think you’re right there

I don't think any of the red flags were legal convictions or anything that would prevent them from legally buying a firearm though.

Wrong, they had different age profiles. That Nikolas Kruz would have come to police attention eventually many people with ADHD do (not saying they are bred criminal but they can court the attention of the law through infractions and disputes). The other guy was a full grown man, nearly retired. Men like that dont go over the edge like that. But I do take your point they are white males, why are there no black males or latino women for that matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wrong, they had different age profiles. That Nikolas Kruz would have come to police attention eventually many people with ADHD do (not saying they are bred criminal but they can court the attention of the law through infractions and disputes).

That's not true at all

Plenty of rounds are made domestically; and actually the SCOTUS would slap down an ammo tax for discriminating against the poor.

Not enough to keep up with domestic demand. Most of the Ammo actually is imported from Israel. The US army has to buy surplus Israeli Ammo. The mind boggles.

Gatling wrote: »
    That's not true at all

Which part? One was 60 and the other was in his late teens.

I don't think any of the red flags were legal convictions or anything that would prevent them from legally buying a firearm though.

Hence why red flag laws are increasing in popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

All the constitution says is you have a right to bare arms it does not say what arms. Given when it was written they meant muskets. Also the constitution can be changed. Has been 23 times

Is there a will in the States to get rid of the 2nd Amendment? I very much doubt it.

I can't see many gun owners wanting to get rid of it. And I personally know three Americans who don't own guns that wouldn't want to get rid of it.

If there's a threat to ban certain guns, the American public rush out and buy loads of those guns. Following Sandy Hook, I think pretty much every gunshop was cleaned out by people fearful that they wouldn't be able to buy AR15s or other types of guns. Even supplies of ammo ran out.

Any attempt to change the 2nd Amendment would lead to the best gun sales drive in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

The Hollywood elite just made a movie, “The Hunt,” where privileged vacationing elite liberals hunt conservatives who are referred to as “deplorables” in the film, for sport. What can go wrong?

The left, and especially the Hollywood crowd, blame Trump rhetoric for every bit of violence reported by the media, then spends millions on a movie about hunting down people with political differences. We’re told over and over again by the left that this country is more divided than ever and we need to come together. And this is their answer? It’s sick and just goes to show how hateful, demented and evil the left has truly become.

"At least The Hunt's coming up. Nothing better than going out to the Manor and slaughtering a dozen deplorables" Fine bit of writing?

In the wake of the recent shootings in Dayton and El Paso ESPN has reportedly pulled a trailer for the film. But common sense dictates a film like this should have never been made in the first place!

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Is there a will in the States to get rid of the 2nd Amendment? I very much doubt it.

I can't see many gun owners wanting to get rid of it. And I personally know three Americans who don't own guns that wouldn't want to get rid of it.

If there's a threat to ban certain guns, the American public rush out and buy loads of those guns. Following Sandy Hook, I think pretty much every gunshop was cleaned out by people fearful that they wouldn't be able to buy AR15s or other types of guns. Even supplies of ammo ran out.

Any attempt to change the 2nd Amendment would lead to the best gun sales drive in history.

Which is exactly what Sandy Hook taught the industry, if they didn’t know it already - which is why you normally see them or their proxies being the loudest megaphones to conspiracies centering around the “coming to take your guns” mantra: fear sells.

We already have red flag laws, but they involve due process. The proposed new red flag laws would eliminate due process and make it rife for abuse.

'I don’t like so-in-so, so I’ll report him and have his guns taken away and force him to spend his entire savings clearing his name and getting his guns back.' No punishment for the person doing the reporting with nefarious motives?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    The Hollywood elite just made a movie, “The Hunt,” where privileged vacationing elite liberals hunt conservatives who are referred to as “deplorables” in the film, for sport. What can go wrong?

The left, and especially the Hollywood crowd, blame Trump rhetoric for every bit of violence reported by the media, then spends millions on a movie about hunting down people with political differences. We’re told over and over again by the left that this country is more divided than ever and we need to come together. And this is their answer? It’s sick and just goes to show how hateful, demented and evil the left has truly become.

This is hardly the first time that Hollywood did a movie about people hunting people.
    In the wake of the recent shootings in Dayton and El Paso ESPN has reportedly pulled a trailer for the film.

But common sense dictates a film like this should have never been made in the first place!

:rolleyes:

I suppose we shouldn't have rape in movies for fear it encourages rape.
    I suppose we shouldn't have ware movies in case it encourages war.
    I suppose we shouldn't have fat people in movies in case it encourages fatness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

"At least The Hunt's coming up. Nothing better than going out to the Manor and slaughtering a dozen deplorables" Fine bit of writing?

In the wake of the recent shootings in Dayton and El Paso ESPN has reportedly pulled a trailer for the film. But common sense dictates a film like this should have never been made in the first place!

Tells you how scummy the Leftists are.

• Advertisement

Which is exactly what Sandy Hook taught the industry, if they didn’t know it already - which is why you normally see them or their proxies being the loudest megaphones to conspiracies centering around the “coming to take your guns” mantra: fear sells.

I think you are putting too much blame on the gun industry. You'll find statements from Obama and other media outlets were more responsible for that particular sales spike than the actions of the gun industry.

We already have red flag laws, but they involve due process. The proposed new red flag laws would eliminate due process and make it rife for abuse.

'I don’t like so-in-so, so I’ll report him and have his guns taken away and force him to spend his entire savings clearing his name and getting his guns back.' No punishment for the person doing the reporting with nefarious motives?

Oh its called Social ratings and it is going on already in China. If you are a good boy you get nice things if you are a bad boy you get restricted in travel, accomodation, education ..... etc etc. Its the new social control.

This is hardly the first time that Hollywood did a movie about people hunting people.

:rolleyes:

I suppose we shouldn't have rape in movies for fear it encourages rape.
    I suppose we shouldn't have ware movies in case it encourages war.
    I suppose we shouldn't have fat people in movies in case it encourages fatness.

Do they decry rape and then make a movie glorifying rape?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The libs kill people in the movies and the right do it in reality.

That's the difference.

Do they decry rape and then make a movie glorifying rape?

There's always protests if there is a rape scene in a film.

But you are suggesting getting rid of something in a film in case people copy it and I'm saying that it's unrealistic to expect Hollywood to do that.

Violent movies are amongst the most popular genre of movies. Every action or superhero movie is violent in nature. And these are amongst the most entertaining types of movies. They usually have a certain theme where the bad guy always gets his/her cumuppance. I've yet to see a movie where a mass shooter goes into a school, shoots everyone and gets to live happily ever after.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    The libs kill people in the movies and the right do it in reality.

That's the difference.
    Sick people on both sides of the political aisle do it in reality. But which side decries the violence then makes a movie glorifying it for money? You can't say Trump rhetoric leads people to violence and a movie like this does nothing. It's simply sick!

There's always protests if there is a rape scene in a film.

But you are suggesting getting rid of something in a film in case people copy it and I'm saying that it's unrealistic to expect Hollywood to do that.

Violent movies are amongst the most popular genre of movies. Every action or superhero movie is violent in nature. And these are amongst the most entertaining types of movies. They usually have a certain theme where the bad guy always gets his/her cumuppance. I've yet to see a movie where a mass shooter goes into a school, shoots everyone and gets to live happily ever after.
    I’ve shown the sick nature and hypocrisy of the Left. The movie should never have been made in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

The basic plot on wikipedia is given as:

The film follows twelve strangers who mysteriously wake up in a clearing.[3] They don't know where they are, or how they got there. They discover that they've been chosen to be hunted in a game devised by a group of rich elites.[4] The hunters gather in a remote facility called the Manor House but their sport gets derailed when one of the hunted, Crystal (Gilpin), fights back and starts killing them one by one
    So it sounds like the people being hunted are the heroes of the film, doesn't it and the "privileged vacationing elite liberals" are the villains.

I feel that makes a bit of a difference, don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Switzerland is monoculture. America is multicultural.

Switzerland is a monoculture?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I’ve shown the sick nature and hypocrisy of the Left. The movie should never have been made in the first place.

As Bojangles said, the liberals are the villains.

Advertisement