Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Strike: LHR/LGW 06 Aug

Options
  • 04-08-2019 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Just wondering how anyone would go about this as meant to be travelling to London for work Aug 6th; the original flight was cancelled/email from EI asking me to rebook due to intended strike action in LHR.

So I rebooked for EI232 DUB LGW at 0840 and now this flight too has a disruption notice! If I were to try and book onto that flight for Tues 6th, no sign of the flight in the listings even as sold out.

I have called Aer Lingus who first told me, yes my flight was disrupted and I need to change it, but asked if they were sure as any strike action in LGW is not until Aug 10th. They went off and checked and then said no actually the flight is fine, so now totally confused and I have a slightly dubious feeling I'm going to get to the airport and will be bumped off or the flight is cancelled. I can check in for it now though with advance seat fee!

Next LGW flight is not until 1pm so makes me very late for meetings that I need to attend and do plan to ring EI tomorrow to be doubly sure, but typically if the flight is not showing at all in the day listings, does it indicate any problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

What do you mean by it’s not showing in the listing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭samo

Locker10a wrote: »
    What do you mean by it’s not showing in the listing ?

If you check EI flights on the Tuesday 6th Aug ,the EI 232 08:40 flight to LGW is not visible. Yet I can check in for it despite the disruption notice and EI reservations say it's ok (unconvincingly!

It's not on the BA routes either

samo wrote: »
    If you check EI flights on the Tuesday 6th Aug ,the EI 232 08:40 flight to LGW is not visible. Yet I can check in for it despite the disruption notice and EI reservations say it's ok (unconvincingly!

It's not on the BA routes either

They may be reserving it exclusively for those rebooking from cancelled LHR flights, and it could be full!

Thanks, this is what I was wondering do airlines usually do that in such a case (as the EI reservations team had no idea why the flight wouldn't be showing after originally telling me that I needed to change it a 2nd time!)

I'll give a call tomorrow again to re-check anyways.

Cheers :)

samo wrote: »
    Thanks, this is what I was wondering do airlines usually do that in such a case (as the EI reservations team had no idea why the flight wouldn't be showing after originally telling me that I needed to change it a 2nd time!)

I'll give a call tomorrow again to re-check anyways.

Cheers :)
    Fingers crossed for you, were the London City flights full when you were initially rebooking?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I’m guessing that EI (and other airlines) are offering rebooking to those who are flexible to travel outside the strike dates. I’m guessing they will be cancelling a few of their London flights as to reduce congestion delays. But they probably can’t made definite plans until they see the effect the 1st day has on their operation.

I’m guessing BA and VS will be a mess, as it’s their home base.(s)

Locker10a wrote: »
    Fingers crossed for you, were the London City flights full when you were initially rebooking?

It was for LGW when I rebooked and yes no hassle to rebook it, but then the flight later in the day went from all the listings!

Will see, its getting late to see the strike cancelled at this point.

Tenger wrote: »
    I’m guessing that EI (and other airlines) are offering rebooking to those who are flexible to travel outside the strike dates. I’m guessing they will be cancelling a few of their London flights as to reduce congestion delays. But they probably can’t made definite plans until they see the effect the 1st day has on their operation.

I’m guessing BA and VS will be a mess, as it’s their home base.(s)

Yes, I was nearly debating chancing still flying with EI into LHR rather than rebooking into LGW but then thought if flights are affected coming back to Dublin that morning, it might end up being cancelled so an hour trek from LGW back to Hounslow area at least means I am there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I'd avoid LHR, the slightest issue and the place melts down.

EI will rebook to LGW and LCY and if pushed might get you to BHX depending on your needs. Its peak season so the A321's are on bucket and spade duty so cannot be deployed to add capacity.

The real issue is we need to know now as there will be a huge number of aircraft taking off in the coming hours which arrive in LHR tomorrow at 5am...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

BA tweeted at about 2130 that the proposed strike action by Heathrow staff on Monday August 5th has been cancelled.
    No word on the 6th though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Now the proposed strike action by Heathrow staff on Tuesday August 6th has been cancelled.

Foggy43 wrote: »
    Now the proposed strike action by Heathrow staff on Tuesday August 6th has been cancelled.

Indeed after spending an hour with EI debating to change my flight as the website or app bugging out andnot loading then EI wanting to charge me, I then chanced last attempt online.. changed back to original flight to LHR with no fee!

Weird .. I'll believe it when the plane takes off tomorrow!

Thanks all

Advertisement