Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my options ? Confused

• 04-08-2019 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Sorry this post is a bit random but just gathering my thoughts.

My wife and I have decided to separate. 3 children.... youngest is 20 with 3 years left in university. Oldest lives away and the other works fulltime and lives at home.

I've moved into spare room some months ago. Living seperate lives as we've done for number of years.

House is mortgage free. Probably worth €365k. Not an option for either of us to buy the other out. We have talked about selling up and splitting the proceeds..... but not enough money to buy a house each. I would probably be ok at that price but she wants more as the kids will live with her. We are early to mid 50's ... new small mortgages not an option ?

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭Another day

Open to correction.....courts would consider the 2 older children as adults and not your responsibility to house or fund. Your youngest you would be obliged to pay maintenance for until education is completed.

While they may reside with your wife you will as also need to have room for them to stay over. It's not all about her, you count too.

If fully employed you could qualify for a mortgage but have to pay it off by 65. Consult a broker for advice and a solicitor.

Advertisement