Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's discuss salads.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I’m afraid I can only eat salads with a steak and a few chips or chicken and chips.
    Salads are nice but on their own I’m hungry again in a half-hour.
    So if anyone has a salad that fills then I’d like to hear about it plaease.

Chopped:
    Tomatoes, red/green peppers, cucumber, black olives, boiled baby spuds. scallions.
    Boiled egg cut in half smothered in mayo, some pasta (penne/fusilli)
    Small tin of tuna.
    Sliced beetroot. Lettuce (optional)
    Crusty bread.

(the aforementioned newman's own Italian dressing)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Saw this thread this morning and decided to throw a salad together with the fillet steaks the missus bought on Saturday and some fresh corn on the cob.

Italian style mixed leaf (€1 a bag in tesco)
    Cucumber
    Grated carrot
    Sweet red pepper
    Topped off with some light French salad dressing

Added in some couscous on top for flavour and it was absolutely gorgeous.

Major brownie points earned. Great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭nhg

My work lunch consists of baby spinach leaves, chopped tomatoe, thai falafel's cut in half from aldi, mozzarella buffalo cheese chopped, yellow pepper chopped, black olives halved, quarter of cucumber chopped, a hard boiled egg chopped, third of a tin of chickpeas sometimes some chopped red onion all tossed with some olive oil. I often have the similar in the evening with a chicken fillet cooked on the George foreman instead of the falafel's & chick peas. Love salads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Well I'll be the first to throw up a pic so.

Had a salad for this evening's dinner as a side to a plate of slow roasted barbecue ribs.

Finely chopped lettuce, scallions, radish and cucumber on the board.(had to leave the tomatoes to later as my son isn't fussed on them)

This is it without its dressing or corriander added.

IMG-20190805-164612.jpg

Then the finished product, plated - dressed and with chopped corriander mixed through, and my plum tomatoes (and some raw onion splashed with lemon juice) added.

IMG-20190805-175937.jpg

Dam tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Some nice ideas on this thread. All of them could be improved by the addition of anchovies. (A rather divisive opinion probably!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Some nice ideas on this thread. All of them could be improved by the addition of anchovies. (A rather divisive opinion probably!)

Nothing can be improved by adding anchovies

Divisive opinion is correct :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

Happy4all wrote: »
    I have the chopped cucumber with skin and seeds. Why do some people deseed? Leaves very little left.

To avoid a soggy mess usually. Same with tomatos. If you're preparing it to eat there and then fair enough, but if making to bring to work for lunch then that kind of moisture is a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I love anchovies but I wouldn't stick them on any salad. It has to be something more substantial like french beans. Put it on plain lettuce and it will be completely overpowered.

I roasted peppers the other day stuffed with tomatoes, garlic, basil, anchovies and lashings of olive oil and they are sensational .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I love anchovies, but have never eaten them as is.

I'm sure it's ok as they are blended into a caeser dressing. But are they raw? I shudder a bit.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    I love anchovies but I wouldn't stick them on any salad. It has to be something more substantial like french beans. Put it on plain lettuce and it will be completely overpowered.

I roasted peppers the other day stuffed with tomatoes, garlic, basil, anchovies and lashings of olive oil and they are sensational .

Yes that sounds like peppers piedmont?
    Don't know the correct wording.

Actually, I must try them on green beans, that sounds great.

I like green beans with garlic or almonds, or just fresh tomato gently heated in olive oil.

These are warm salads, hope I'm not too OT!

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I'm sure it's ok as they are blended into a caeser dressing. But are they raw? I shudder a bit.

They're not for everyone as I said but they do add a kick to a load of leaves!

They're not for everyone as I said but they do add a kick to a load of leaves!

They're OK to eat raw then?
    I love the taste just wasn't sure if you could eat them as is. Or if they need to be cooked...

They're OK to eat raw then?
    I love the taste just wasn't sure if you could eat them as is. Or if they need to be cooked...

They are ok to eat uncooked. I suspect they are cooked/treated anyway. I could eat a batch preserved in oil (not salt) on it's own with white crusty bread but I am addicted to salt.

Yes that recipe is for Pidemontese peppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,001 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well I'll be the first to throw up a pic so.

Had a salad for this evening's dinner as a side to a plate of slow roasted barbecue ribs.

Finely chopped lettuce, scallions, radish and cucumber on the board.(had to leave the tomatoes to later as my son isn't fussed on them)

This is it without its dressing or corriander added.

IMG-20190805-164612.jpg

Then the finished product, plated - dressed and with chopped corriander mixed through, and my plum tomatoes (and some raw onion splashed with lemon juice) added.

IMG-20190805-175937.jpg

Dam tasty.

Those ribs look lovely. Second pic wins easily. I’d eat that for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just made a couscous salad for this week for lunches in work - added chickpeas, sundried tomatoes, cubed feta, cucumber and a little bit of coriander (needed to use it up) and will probably add tuna to it - won't be having it until tomorrow as I'm having leftover chickpea, lentil and sweet potato curry today :)

I like a nice salad but there does have to be flavour either from the dressing or what you add to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I’m afraid I can only eat salads with a steak and a few chips or chicken and chips.

I got this recipe from my brother last year - he does a lot of weight training and this is one of his regular post-workout meals, so it really is very filling and nourishing, and is also ridiculously tasty even though it doesn't sound that interesting from the ingredients :o

1 cup dry spelt
    2 cups veggies stock/salted water (cold)

1 can tomatoes, chopped - spicy if possible
    1/2 cup nuts - roasted and roughly chopped
    1 large sweet potato - diced into 3/4 inch cubes
    Parmesan for sprinkling

Spread the sweet potato cubes on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper and toss them in oil, and a little salt and pepper

Roast at about 200c until they are browned and cooked through. (about 20 -25 minutes I think) Toss them occasionally to make sure they brown evenly - the greaseproof paper makes this really easy since you can just pick it up by the sides and joggle the cubes around.

Meanwhile cook the spelt in the stock/water until it's tender - this takes about 30-45 minutes.
    Roast the nuts and roughly chop them.

Drain the spelt thoroughly when cooked and put in a large bowl
    Let the roast sweet potato cubes cool on the tray for 10-15 minutes

To assemble:
    Stir the spelt, chopped tomatoes and sweet potato cubes together. (If your sweet potato was absolutely enormous, maybe don't put all the cubes in - stir in as many as seem right to you)

You can also stir in the nuts too but unless you're planning to eat the whole lot at once, you're better off leaving the nuts aside and stirring them in when serving, they go a bit soft otherwise.
    Finally, sprinkle with a little freshly grated parmesan (vegan parmesan if you want to go totally veggie - it's actually surprisingly good for a vegan cheese)
    If you don't have spicy tomatoes, it's just as nice to stir in a teaspoon or so of chili powder/cayenne pepper or any hot sauce you like.

This makes a LOT of salad - like a kenwood chef bowl 3/4 full, of salad, but it keeps really well for a couple of days :)

The times/temps above are kinda fuzzy because it's been a while since I made this, so keep an eye on everything in case I'm completely misremembering them :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

With certain dinners I'll always have a side salad. Corn of the cob, lettuce, red onion, peppers, tomatoes, cucumber and usually skip the dressing.

I rarely have a salad on it's own but reading the thread some of the stuff sounds lovely and its making me want to try them out. Think I'll have a tuna salad today for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭storker

Go to Chopped and get one of their salad bowls. It'll keep you going all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lo_La

Barbecued marinated chicken fillet, spinach, tomato, cucumber, red onion small amount of feta and avocado with some balsamic vinegar. Delicious and you definitely won't be hungry!
    uwBfwy.jpg

• Advertisement

I never thought about them being raw or otherwise tbh. If I gave it any thought I probably thought they were cured in some way - anyway apparently they're cooked before they're canned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I eat salad every day during the Summer: a pre-made one in a coffee shop for lunch (I have my favourites there, after having tried most of their range), and then for dinner I tend to eat organic small tomatoes as my main side dish, with everything.
    Other fave veggie for salads at home are: cucumber, fennel, celery and endive.
    Am not mad about dressing, usually I make it with lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and extra vergin olive oil.

In the Winter I prefer cooked veggies, but that's another story !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I never thought about them being raw or otherwise tbh. If I gave it any thought I probably thought they were cured in some way - anyway apparently they're cooked before they're canned.
    They're packed in salt to preserve them then canned in oil. Not cooked at all as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I thought the canning process automatically involved cooking the food inside the can?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Today's dinner was salad with a chilli flavoured tuna I picked up somewhere on my travels, (Aldi I think) and some fresh, yes fresh oregano that I got given to me today by a lovely Macedonian woman I got chatting to today in work.

IMG-20190806-181642.jpg

Added some feta cubes today.

B0jangles wrote: »
    I thought the canning process automatically involved cooking the food inside the can?

I think so yes. At least whatever is sold in supermarkets is usually heat treated. As far as I know fish is cooked after it goes into the can.

B0jangles wrote: »
    For some foods yes, but not anchovies. Cooking in the can is mainly a preservation thing, and the long salting process achieves the same result.

https://www.crownprince.com/anchovy-handling.htm

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think so yes. At least whatever is sold in supermarkets is usually heat treated. As far as I know fish is cooked after it hoes into the can.
    Sardines, mackerel, tuna, salmon etc. are cooked in the can, but not anchovies apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Today's dinner was salad with a chilli flavoured tuna I picked up somewhere on my travels, (Aldi I think) and some fresh, yes fresh oregano that I got given to me today by a lovely Macedonian woman I got chatting to today in work.

I've been growing my own oregano in pots for years and this year it has taken over my entire garden - it's literally growing out of the gaps between my cobblelocks. So if anyone ever wants any, let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

My absolute comfort food:

Fresh salad leaves (romaine or rocket or it doesn't matter!)
    Conference pear warmed and browned in a pan then sliced thinly
    Black pudding cooked and then cubed
    Blue cheese broken into pieces
    Croutons
    Walnuts

Mix all together with a little vinaigrette.

Bloody bliss in a bowl!!

Advertisement