Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No contract...Poor treatment

Options
  • 04-08-2019 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I am a college student and after my leaving cert last week I got a summer job with a well known (franchised) food chain. I did 15hrs free training and worked for them approx 12-24hrs from June to Sept. I then moved to Cork for college and continued to work for the same employers (franchisees) at a cork branch. Home for the summer I resumed working at my local branch about 12-20hrs although I told them I was available for more. I told them I was going to Spain for a week in July and there appeared to be no problem. Since my return 2 weeks ago they told me they have no hours for me although the roster displays that they have taken back an ex staff member at approx 30hrs/week. I disputed this with the area manager (not the franchisee) but got no joy. Yesterday I went to my local store and noticed a "staff wanted" sign in the window. I am very cross but as I never signed a contract and always just worked casually with the, I wonder if there is anything I can do or if I have any rights. I am 19y old and feel its difficult to get another job for a few weeks locally before I return to Cork. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Nothing you can do, unfortunately it looks as though they don’t want to employ you anymore. Even if you had signed a contract, it no doubt would have had a probation period and as you have less than 12 months service, you don’t have the protection of the UDA.

Complaining to the area manager may not have helped you in what was a part time/casual summer job. Best to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

It's a known trick to suddenly have no more hours when it comes close to having 12m service. So it's nothing you did, but having said that I don't think there is anything you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Make sure that you have been paid all of your holiday pay.

Advertisement