Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BlanchWheelies Hospice Spin 2019

Options
  • 05-08-2019 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

The Second Saturday in September is coming! And that means the Annual BlanchWheelies Hospice Spin!

Saturday 14th September 2019

Sign on from 9am Strawberry Hall - Depart 10am sharp (2 groups)

Food stops at 50k (Skyrne) and burger and chips at the finish

Route: https://www.strava.com/routes/994113

Donations to St Francis Hospice in lieu of entry fee. Donations accepted on the day or via:
    https://give.everydayhero.com/ie/blanchwheelies2019

Valid Cycling Ireland licence is required
    One day licences available (€5 each)

Thanks for your support!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

hospicespin2019.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Mark the course better than last year, loads went wrong after the trim road turn up to Skryne

Hope it goes well, I'm away that weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Borderfox wrote: »
    Mark the course better than last year, loads went wrong after the trim road turn up to Skryne....
    You took the words out of my mouth! I think the marker gave up after he got to Garlow Cross.

There was also a bit of confusion last year as another event with separate marshals was taking place at the same time and their marshals unwittingly led people astray.

That said, it's a great event and I'll be back again. :)

Yep, the issues over directions were noted to the committee after last year's spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭timbel

Will be there.
    A nice flat course with tasty refreshments along the way.

St Francis Hospice is a great cause too.

• Advertisement

Finalising everything for Saturday and it looks like the weather will be dry and 18-19ºC!

The team will be installing the following signage tonight and tomorrow along crucial junctions and turns.

Keep an eye out for them on your route.

wheeliessign.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Do you have to register online or are people just turning up on the day with a donation? Im curious how you calculate how many burgers you need to cook :-) Im hoping to go if I get a pass

Luxman wrote: »
    ... Im curious how you calculate how many burgers you need to cook :-)....
    As far as I can recall, it's a chip van doing the cooking so they will have supplies which won't go to waste.

Do you have to register online or are people just turning up on the day with a donation? Im curious how you calculate how many burgers you need to cook :-) Im hoping to go if I get a pass

Just show up on the day! There's more than enough to go round!

As far as I can recall, it's a chip van doing the cooking so they will have supplies which won't go to waste.

Considering he's heading to Croke Park after us, I don't think we'll be short a few burgers!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Looking forward to having a blast in 30+km/h group.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Great spin, the leadout was a bit troublesome from the start out to Dunboyne. There was a Lucan lad who came down just in front of me doing 20kph, he clipped a wheel I assume. I pulled his bike off the road but he grabbed his shoulder , speedy recover to him (I think his name is Clinton). Once it got going it was flat out to the food stop. Dropped out of the first group on the way to Summerhill, no way could I hold on. A second group formed and worked well. Good spread of food at the halfway point. Went out after with a few Lucan lads and held a good pace, was joined by a few more near Kilbride and only lost that group about 3k from the end. Burger and chips were well earned at the end. Super day out and well done to Blanch for organising for a super cause. The moto marshall earned his crust today!!

Great weather for it. Burger was delicious. Thanks to all involved.

(I punctured just outside Clonee on the return leg - thorn embedded in tyre. It took me a while to get the head of it out but was back on the road in about 15 mins - meanwhile about 200 passed me! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

Great spin, the leadout was a bit troublesome from the start out to Dunboyne. There was a Lucan lad who came down just in front of me doing 20kph, he clipped a wheel I assume. I pulled his bike off the road but he grabbed his shoulder , speedy recover to him (I think his name is Clinton). Once it got going it was flat out to the food stop. Dropped out of the first group on the way to Summerhill, no way could I hold on. A second group formed and worked well. Good spread of food at the halfway point. Went out after with a few Lucan lads and held a good pace, was joined by a few more near Kilbride and only lost that group about 3k from the end. Burger and chips were well earned at the end. Super day out and well done to Blanch for organising for a super cause. The moto marshall earned his crust today!!

Clinton is ok, nothing broken only bruised and a bit of road rash.
    Great day on the bike👍

Great to see the spin so well supported again this year by local clubs, Lucan, Castleknock, Dunboyne, Clontarf, Barothery and many others and individual riders too.

We had 150 signing-on on the day, and €5,000 raised so far for the Hospice.

The group worked well together. I was working my way up and down the group and there didn't seem to be any problems, the rolling motos did a great job in holding traffic and made sure everyone got through. The group looked impressive through the park and in Castleknock and Blanchardstown villages. There were lots of people waving and a few high fives from pedestrians.

Big thanks to all who helped out with food and refreshments at Skyrne and a big thanks to all who donated.

The rider who went down at Ongar was OK. I was speaking with the paramedics at the food stop, and they said he just had a bad fall and nothing serious, understandably, the initial fall was a bit of a shock to him. But all was well, which is good to hear.

One rider had severe cramps in both legs 9k from the end, but he was picked up by the van, and anyone who was in the van got out at Laraghcon/Lucan bridge for the final 4km back to the Strawberry Hall for a burger and chips... before the van scarpered off to Croke Park!

So... did anyone else get a schnakey top up on the cycling tan?

If you couldn't make it an want to throw a few bob in, here is the link:
    https://give.everydayhero.com/ie/blanchwheelies2019

Once again, many thanks for your support see you again next year.

Allez The Wheelies!

Advertisement