Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop repair, substandard item replaced

Options
  • 05-08-2019 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Just a quick question to the good folk of boards for some advice.

I purchased a laptop from curry's a number of months back. All was good ontill the plastic tip on the charger came loose in the charging port of the laptop.

At the time it broke the tip of the charger looked like it had sheered away, but when I got to the store the guy said it was just the plastic tip.

I enquired should this be covered under warranty or should I use the insurance, I had took out insurance when purchasing the laptop. I was advised that the manufacturer could say it had broken due to user error and advised I use the insurance, which I did. Was told the charge port and charger would be replaced.

No issue here, I completed paperwork and left the laptop there for repair. Two weeks later I picked up the laptop and all is in working order, apart from the charger that was replace, was replaced by a cheap spurious charger that can be ordered from amazon for less than €10, the question I have, should the replacement charger have been the same as the damaged one ie: like for like, the laptop is still under warranty however I now have a cheap non brand charger for the laptop.

If the laptop was out of warranty or old I would have no issue, I just feel the replacment charger is substandard for a laptop still under warranty, would it be worth my while following up to get a replacment branded charger, any advice appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I doubt they'll have access to branded chargers. Even so if it meets all the safety standards and does what it's meant to I don't think you have recourse here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

is there a problem with the charger, does it charge slowly, etc? did you get a message when powering up the laptop that the power supply was unrecognised?

if so then you would have grounds for complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Check it has the same or better specifications than the original one. In particular that it has the same voltage input range & output voltage and the wattage is the same or higher.
    You should also check it has the CE marking.

Advertisement