Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Adverts 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭DvB

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

A John Lewis teaser trailer... allegedly!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »

Oh this is good. Really good. Very well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

HP: Print The Holidays - Get Real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Loughc wrote: »
    Oh this is good. Really good. Very well done.

Yep really enjoyed that one. It also makes you thankfully for what you have.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Love the Argos ad, such a simple concept, when you got any musical instruments at xmas you thought you were going to be class at it until you got bored of it by new years. The man and the girl are a great pairing as well, especially the girl when you see the excitement in her eyes at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

John Lewis Christmas Advert

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I really like the John Lewis one, it's beautifully shot and has a fairytale quality. It beats Elton John last year, hands down :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Watched the new JL/ Waitrose ad not impressed. Then again nothing comes close to the Buster ad hard to top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

miamee wrote: »
    I really like the John Lewis one, it's beautifully shot and has a fairytale quality. It beats Elton John last year, hands down :P

It’s really cute. The perfect combination of funny and emotional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Love this year's John Lewis ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

John Lewis back on form. A lovely little ad.

I didn't like the Sainsbury's ad I have to say, something off about it.

Aawww I love that John Lewis ad so much!!!!

That little dragon is like the opposite of Elsa from Frozen. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

We all know Xmas is a tough time of year for some folk.

This is one of those folk.
    His name is John Lewis.
    His twitter is @johnlewis.
    He is NOT a department store.

https://twitter.com/johnlewis/status/1064505239770931202?s=20

After the latest releases of ads, my own personal award list has not changed, except for the category 'cheeky ad", which I would now give to HP, instead of Mercedes.

Before awarding the "best supermarket ad" I want to wait and see Tesco's first. So far, my preference is for Asda.
    I find Sainsbury's a touch too bleak, and John Lewis does not do it for me at all (I can see how kids would love the character though);

Lidl is nearly a no show this year and Aldi's Kevin... well, it's Kevin.

M&S shows amazing food but that's it.

Orange France #AttrapezNoël "Catching Santa"

Subaru "Night visit"
    Alert: cute dogs and cats !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

I prefer Sainsbury's ad to John Lewis.

Looks more realistic + bleak like it would have been at that time.

John Lewis ad too computused/fake looking + they just look dressed up rather than actually from that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Posy wrote: »
    Oh my God, that made me teary. And every year thousands of dogs are abandoned after Christmas is over, so sadly very true. :(

The real dog in the advert looks really like my new dog who was surrendered by his previous owners earlier this year. If S sees that advert, odds are he'll actually think it's about him as he knows he had no home before we got him.

[URL=https:///]6965e2d0c4e6a8ddab9c6106ce340957-full.png[/URL]

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I like the John Lewis ad but it's only just ok but certainly better than last year's effort.

I feel like John Lewis is a victim of it's own success. There is a feeling that it's trying wayyyyy too hard and then there's the fact it most likely will never live up to it's past years which is often the case.

I had a look over all the adverts in the thread yesterday before logging off from the PC (only took an hour!!)
    I do like the John Lewis one, though it took me a while to make up my mind & even at that wont be added to my playlist. I do however really like the Sainsbury's one, in fact its probably my favourite of the 2019 crop so far.

Not many good additions this year so far though which is unfortunate. Still, plenty more yet to launch.

So 225K views of John Lewis ad with 3.3K likes and only 120 dislikes so seems to be pretty well liked so far.

TRS30 wrote: »
    So 225K views of John Lewis ad with 3.3K likes and only 120 dislikes so seems to be pretty well liked so far.

Its definitely an improvement on last year (wouldn't be hard) but its nowhere near as good as their peak years, (the journey, the bear & hare, the man in the moon) unfortunately.

I think they'd be better taking a step back for a year & do something really less of an 'event' and then step it up again, they've clearly become a victim of their own success & as we all know, maintaining that was always going to be a hard ask.

A decent effort though! I had noticed the Mrs watching it on her phone last night & she said she liked it too, but saw it more as an advert for kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

otnomart wrote: »
    Orange France #AttrapezNoël "Catching Santa"

This one is funny!

DvB wrote: »
    Its definitely an improvement on last year (wouldn't be hard) but its nowhere near as good as their peak years, (the journey, the bear & hare, the man in the moon) unfortunately.

I think they'd be better taking a step back for a year & do something really less of an 'event' and then step it up again, they've clearly become a victim of their own success & as we all know, maintaining that was always going to be a hard ask.

A decent effort though! I had noticed the Mrs watching it on her phone last night & she said she liked it too, but saw it more as an advert for kids.

Yes, can be hard to keep 'improving' year on year especially when the expectation is so high. Also with something so subjective that some will hate and some will love.

• Advertisement

Brown Thomas

Advertisement