Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is transportation in the Dublin the worst in any European capital?

Options
  • 05-08-2019 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Bus corridors, bus corridors will fix everything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Nah don't think so. Not the best now but there's worse out there

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

14dMoney wrote: »
    Bus corridors, bus corridors will fix everything.

There's pretty much nothing that can seriously count as public transportation.

Insane wait times between buses. Buses anywhere near city center - might as well walk. Buses any time city gets too busy - won't pick you up, will leave you on the streets, good night and good luck.

Trains - limited coverage, huge wait times, and break down way, way too often. "Signalling issues."

Trams - Finally a service with decent wait times - but like buses might as well walk in the city center, and have a ridiculously narrow area of coverage. Takes half a decade to build 2-3 stops as well.

And on top of it all you have to pay more for all this nonsense than infinitely better service in other European cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Nah don't think so. Not the best now but there's worse out there

For European capitals, I'd like to know a few examples worse than Dublin.
    For the size and volume of passengers at Dublin airport, it's always a surprise to many tourists there's no dedicated rail / light rail link to it.

Price seems a lot more than most other European capitals I've been too, with poorer reliability and quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The_Brood wrote: »
    Insane wait times between buses.
    I don't know what dream world your living in. Dublin bus is a really good service. When I check the app for next bus due it's quite accurate 97% of the time and IF your lucky to live on the Luas line it's very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

It's okay but it's crazy expensive.
    The need to go via the city centre makes it heavy on the wallet. The fact that there are no dedicated tourist passes with a flat rate. And for many people travelling the reduced rates for just a few stops are super confusing.

My folks were staying somewhere on Clontarf when we lived in Glasnevin and if they wanted to take the bus to come over they'd have to go through town paying for two journeys each.

I also know two people staying on Dublin for Erasmus and the cost of public transport was a big annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Its a vicious circle, too many cars on the roads but you can't expect people to give up their cars if the buses are ****e. The main thing it needs is huge investment in rail and light rail and buses but that's never going to happen. We are never going to build up so get used to it, its never changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

I doubt there are many other major cities where the only way to get from the main airport to the city is by a bus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Anytime improvements are suggested there usually shot down by some nimby brigade so it isn’t particularly surprisingly things have gotten so bad as the population increases. Half of the bus routes can be traces back over half a century

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Name a capital city with worse transportation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

It’s not just capital cities but most cities of a similar and even smaller size.

Trains from the airport are the least of our problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Snotty wrote: »

Sanaʽa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I can't think of a worse capital city transport, in Europe anyway.
    Badly designed, outdated, not integrated, slow, unreliable and very expensive. Clearly not built with the passenger in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

Sanaʽa

In fairness now, Sana'a is entirely reliant on an outdated bus service, so it seems like the only separating factor here is 2 Luas lines

• Registered Users Posts: 35 urban sprawl

I doubt there are many other major cities where the only way to get from the main airport to the city is by a bus

Berlin Tegel airport has no rail connection. Schoenefeld is on the rail line but is very much a second tier airport.

Bus is ok if it’s regular and reliable but the express bus links to Dublin airport are just way too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Poor links to airport.

Two tram lines that don’t even connect to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,225 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I can't think of anywhere worse myself. European countries planned cities well a long time ago. Streets were widened, metros were built, they just got sh*t done. They could afford it as they were rich or they were Soviet countries where they made things happen.
    So now in Dublin, even the prospect of putting in some bus lanes is looking like it can't happen due to NIMBYism and faffing about over trees etc. If you want a well run PT system big changes have to happen, people would have to be moved out of their properties and put elsewhere, we'd prob have to demolish lots of the city. That's what they done in Barcelona and Paris etc but back then you could just turf people out and they couldn't do anything about it.
    So while we're taking years to plan a metro here, it wont happen because another recession will kick in and the can will be kicked down the road again.
    I just cycle everywhere, it's quick, and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

Anytime improvements are suggested there usually shot down by some nimby brigade so it isn’t particularly surprisingly things have gotten so bad as the population increases. Half of the bus routes can be traces back over half a century

My bus route is the 16 and it, along with others, were so numbered in 1918 when the routes were being operated with electric trams. A number of those tram routes had earlier been operated by horse drawn trams.

http://www.dublinbusstuff.com/Routes16.html

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

whiskeyman wrote: »
    For European capitals, I'd like to know a few examples worse than Dublin.
    For the size and volume of passengers at Dublin airport, it's always a surprise to many tourists there's no dedicated rail / light rail link to it.

Price seems a lot more than most other European capitals I've been too, with poorer reliability and quality.

By 'european'capital in these threads they always mean western europe

Im sure tirana,skopje, Sofia and Sarajevo among others dont have better public transport than dublin

I live along the green line luas and not far from Dart either and only 5km from town so busses arent a bad option either. So for me Id say dublins PT is decent but I dont see how somebody living in north dublin could say its anything other than ****.. But even at that I find Dublins PT shockingly expensive so I jsut cycle everywhere.

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    By 'european'capital in these threads they always mean western europe

Im sure tirana,skopje, Sofia and Sarajevo among others dont have better public transport than dublin

They probably do, because of the USSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Dart goes at a snails pace now a days. The LUAS is the best but we're starting to see cracks in the system. I have noticed a lot of breakdowns/signal faults over the last few months, a lot more than previous years.

Then there is Dublin Bus. Whoever decided that there needs to be a bus stop every 200m needs shooting. There is an area in Sallynoggin where there are 7 bus stops over the space of 1km.

The actual sprawl is decent enough, it's just that there everything is so slow. Bus Lanes make little difference when you're stopping every 200m for 1 passenger. And of course every passenger is going to get on/off at the stop most convenient for them.

We need an underground that X's through the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I'm nearly 50 and have been working since i was a teenager and never had a job that i could use public transport for. Still need my car for work as buses/trains only run part of the week.

Adding bus connects changes nothing in that regard, more buses , but still running the same restricted hours, so still need car for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Snotty wrote: »

Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Not Europe but Buenos Aires doesn't have a rail connection from the airport to the city, and the public bus takes about 2 hours if I remember correctly. Pretty poor for such a huge capital city.

Not Europe but Buenos Aires doesn't have a rail connection from the airport to the city, and the public bus takes about 2 hours if I remember correctly. Pretty poor for such a huge capital city.

The metro is pretty good though

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

I was in Amsterdam last month which is a smaller city than Dublin but such a great city to travel in. You can jump on a train in the airport and be in the city centre in ten minutes. Also, trams go everywhere.

It took me about an hour to get back to Rathmines from Dublin airport on the bus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

There's plenty of European capitals without rail links to the airport. Cardiff, Prague, Bratislava, Luxembourg, Tirane, Podgorica, Zagreb, Belgrade, Budapest, Ljubljana, Nicosia, Tallinn...

Vilnius has a rail connection, but it's something like every 90 minutes, so there may as well not be one.

The notion that trains here break down "way way too often" is absolute nonsense, in my experience as someone who commutes by rail.

Lots of cities have trams that slow down in the city centre. It's because - wait for it - it's a ****ing city centre, and it's crowded.

The Luas lines do link up - certainly there's underground networks in Europe with "linking" stations which are far farther apart than the two minutes it takes to walk from the GPO to Abbey Street.

There's problems with Dublin transport alright, but putting out some of the daft comments that have appeared in the first two pages of this thread really doesn't do the posters concerned any credit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

I was in Amsterdam last month which is a smaller city than Dublin but such a great city to travel in. You can jump on a train in the airport and be in the city centre in ten minutes. Also, trams go everywhere.

It took me about an hour to get back to Rathmines from Dublin airport on the bus

That's about average. I was appalled at how long it takes to get from the bottom of Dame st out to the airport. It took about an hour as well. What's especially annoying about it is the whole "the buses are great, it's the cars that are the problem!", simply trying to find a scapegoat to mask the NTA/DCC incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

This is Chisinau, Moldova, one of the poorest countries in Europe, and yet its trolleybus network is probably better than anything Dublin has
    Chisinau_trolleybus_network_map.png
    Even places like Kharkiv and Yerevan have metros.

Advertisement